1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is this forum still here?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Marceror, Jul 16, 2006.

1. THUNOR Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

MY OPINION

[​IMG] FIRST OFF.....as a baldurs gate lover,i can honestly say,that part one was good for its time,but part 2,blew part one away,hands down,no contest!
    better story,cooler bad guy,more hidden characters,longer game....takes 15-16 hours to beat......extreme mode is rediculousely hard,which makes it more fun,characters are over-personalized(example-dorn flirts with all women in the game)(borador is a typical angry dwarf with a persecution complex)
    individual character quests......more to do with weapon and armor customizing,and part three would be even more awesome,and would definately sell. most bg haters would rent the game,to see how stupid it is,and end up loving it.
    i realy hope they make the third one,i was realy hoping to fight that pharoah i saw at the end of 2.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Dorn, Borador? 15-16 hours to complete? What game are you talking about exactly? These names are not familiar to me in Baldur's Gate 2, and I've played it many times. And you must be flying to finish it in 15 hours.

Is this a mod, or are you highly sleep deprived... or something?

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    He's talking about the Dark Alliance games for PS2 :p.

Trellheim likes this.
  4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That would have been my other guess.

5. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I have heard that there is a professional group of modders looking to create BGIII on the NWN engine... it was mentioned in PC Gamer somewhere. Dunno if this was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, yet.

6. blob Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

it would be the group of ppl who contributed in making of nwn2. I heard there is chance that bg3 will be released as nwn2 mod.

to be honest, if bg3 turns out to be like nwn 1 & 2, I'm NOT buying it. actually, I would not see bg3 released at all since bg2 was just so god damn awesome there is not way this bg3 will meet up with bg2 standard. plus, most rpgs all revolves around being MMORPG, I dont think developers would put that much effort in npc interactions nor story. it's all about $$ now, you know. lately rpg games has been such a disappointment. all they care about is pretty graphics.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You missed the witcher. Long, good story, interaction, a bit of romance and sex. Not the scale of bg2 but a whole lot more than today's current games. If it had dice in it....

An other thought. Remeber Lord of the Rings. The books have been around for decades gathering dust on the library shelves, but after Peter Jacksonh's movie's it was a hype. Have you any idea how much LotR stuff has been sold compared to the 25 years beore teh movies. If Atari looses the rights, or does something whit it, whitin five years we can be swimming in BG3 stuff.

8. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Darned, the false hope!

Damn ye all, ye scallywags!!!!

:D

BG3 as a NWN2 mod would be...a joke, imo. BG's meant to play on the infinity engine. The Aurora engine (or whatever one it is now) never appealed to me to be honest.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I really can't agree with the tenor of that comment, Merlanni. These books have seen many printings and have been popular for a long time. They can hardly have been described as "sitting around gathering dust," before they were translated into film. And while Jackson's movies may have added some "hype" to the LotR saga, there has mostly been a lot of real substance, not only in the books themselves, but in the interest in medieval mythology, that infomred Tolkien's work.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A figure of speech about gahtering dust. They tend to be cleaned on a regular bases.

If I would to ask at work how many people have read LotR, or know about it now, than everybody has seen the movies, and and few out of 25 have read the books. If I ask that question heren almost everybody would have read those books several times and owns the movies. A large portion of us even has the extended extras expensive whit discs you never get out of the box edition.

If I would ask that question at work one year before the films came out, only 2 out of 25 knew the excistance of LotR. (Yes I haver asked around some time ago)I found two who have read the books. (both supervisors) If I would ask that question on the streets perhaps one out of 15. But after the movies people are Bored of the Rings.

I go to an annual fantasy fair. The number of visistors rocketed upwarts after the movies. Even people who do not know how to open a book know about it and drag their young to it, dressed in whatever rags they can find. It has been re-put on the map by peter jackson. And Harry Potter helped.

It all depends on your environment. I live in a small very religious town. A few towns togeter make for one library that is small and open a few hours per week. They owned an old version of the series, but after the movies the shelve has doubled.

Returning to games. How many LotR ames have been developed during and after the movies? How many before? One? None? I do not know, but I know that I am now being beet to death whit it. Even a MMorpg. Unthinkalble before the movies.

So, if a hit movie was to come out based on bg2...

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

There were several LOTR games out before the movies came. 5-6, give or take. Old ones mind you, and not very good. Except for the two RP ones for dos. Those were kind of fun. The super nintendo action\rpg was fun too.

12. Shivan Gems: 1/31

Funny how often people will complain that movies or games just keep being made the same or off the same premises or without unique stories.... and yet here we all are wishing for even just a redone version of a great game, and they won't sell it to us!

Swallow your pride, developers, and give us what we want! MORE OF THE SAME!!!

:p

(I know many of you might actually prefer something different, but I'm going with "but you probably also liked NWN, so I have no regard for your opinions." :))

13. Leverage87 Gems: 1/31

Personally I'm hoping for a return to the infinity engine style games for PC, whether its called BG3 or something else, just something remeniscent of the 5 DnD Infinity Engine games we have. Although I do agree with a lot of people that the Bhaalspawn story arc is finished, I can't imagine how they could continue it, but I would love to see another 2 or 3 games (with expansions of course!) creating another story arc.

14. Retet Gems: 1/31

Indeed! I share your desires for more infinity engine style games. . . .

15. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Aurora Engine

16. Marceror

Media:
    Care to elaborate on what your point is? :p

17. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Atari isn't going to make a decent version even if they actually do make one, so I say we make our own. We could call it Ballder's Door so as to avoid copyright infringement. You'd start out in the Torchpossession Library... ok.. *ahem* I'll stop.

18. Arátoeldar Gems: 1/31

Josh Sawyer wants to make a Black Hound aka Jefferson aka BG3 module for NWN2.

Josh Sawyer Interview 2-13-07

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, very old news and I seriously doubt he'll ever have enough time to actually finish it.

20. Marceror

Media:
    I guess you were right! Hope it makes it to the finish line.

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.