1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problem with the Internet connection

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Hugo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I live in a big student house, and we have just received one new internet (I believe it is cable). Unfortunately, although it works fine for my housemates, I do not receive any data. My connection seems fine, but no data comes through at all.

After some tests, I've concluded the problem must be somewhere inside my case... Whether it's hardware or software, I'm not sure. Before the internet went out last time (which lead to the above-mentioned provider change) everything worked fine.

So my expectation is that there must be some sort of setting that I need to change. If anyone knows anything I could try, I'd very much appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How are you exactly connected to the cable? Is there a router or switch between you and the modem?

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Start->control panel->network connections
    are there any active connections listed? If there are any disabled entries, try enabling them (through the right click menu).

Also try turning off your firewall.

Are you connected in the same way that your housemates are? Have you got an ethernet cord plugged in the back of your comp or have you got a wireless card?

4. Hugo Gems: 15/31

@Morgoth: it's plugged in to a router (I believe it is), which is connected to the modem.
    If there is a difference between a hub, router or switch, how do I see the difference?
    In any case, my cable is plugged into this device, and I believe it in turn is plugged in to the modem.

@Stu: I'd already tried the other connections, but as expected, that didn't make any differnce... I'd never used the associated port before, not even sure if there's actually a network card behind it :-/. Turning off the firewall also didn't change anything.

Like the rest of my housemates, I'm using a wired connection.

Also, it seems that meanwhile, a handful of other housemates, meanwhile back from Christmas break, are experiencing similar problems, which makes everything even more wondrous, but I maintain that it must be a settings problem of some sort, as using the network outlet (there's one in every room) of a friend didn't make any difference... This was using a different cable that had just been used to hook up a different compy. The port is good, because he can use the internet from it, the cable was good, the problem must be inside my computer.

Thanks for the help and any more is highly appreciated.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    To reask Stu's question, are there any active LAN connections listed under Start->control panel->network connections?

Is your friend able to use your socket with his computer?

Hugo likes this.
  6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Do those who have problems connecting all use the same operating system (Linux, Mac OS, a particular version of Windows)? Or a particular brand of computer, network card, etc?

7. Hugo Gems: 15/31

Hey people,

Writing this from my own computer now...
    So it turns out there was a problem with the routers, which hadn't been properly set-up for the new internet. A tech guy came and fixed it.
    While I still don't know why it didn't work when I plugged my compy into a working plug-thingy, the end of it is that the internet is now working, so I am happy now.

Thanks to everyone who replied, but the problem solved itself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.