1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PS2 games recommendation

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

First, it's no secret I am an adamant anti-Xmas person.

Seems hearing me ranting about the fact that Smackdown vs Raw 2008 wasn't coming out on the mechanical kleenex box (that would be the Gamecube) inspired my bro to conspire with me Ma to get me a PS2 and the said SD vs Raw 2008.

Now - I know the PS2 isn't even remotly close to matching the graphics quality of the PS3 or 360, and frankly, I could care less about the said consoles. The PS2 was cheap, not to mention the ton of games available.

As the thread title indicates, I'm looking for a couple of suggestions regarding some good PS2 games. It's my first forray in Phoney's world, and I admit I don't know squat about the games on PS2 - I never really followed console games, except maybe the Metroid Prime trilogy, but that's another story. Beating Cena time and time again in SD vs Raw 2k8 is good and nice, but I'm looking for a change.

I'm more in RPG/adventure games than anything else, honestly. And Final Fantasy is already on the list, so don't bother mentioning it.

Bring 'em on.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shadow of the Colossus for one - I've heard very high praise about it. Funny, when I was out shopping a few days ago I very nearly bought a PS2 too... it's now in the price range here that is relatively easily affordable, and there are hundreds of good games available for it, so it's great value for the money.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I thought the first Prince of Persia, Sands of Time was pretty cool. Very "storybook".

If you want an offbeat dark story, Drakengard is pretty cool. Repetitive fighting but hey, when I'm hungover on a Sunday its a lot of fun trouncing like hundreds of guys just by yourself and your Dragon.

I'll let you know once I remember some of the other better ones. And when you say Final Fantasy, I hope you mean X. Not X-2 (ugh) or XII.

Everyone loves Grand Theft Auto but I could never get into the gameplay. Check that out if you want. Its pretty consistent I hear.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Nah, I'm not touching those pieces of crap with a 10000 foot-pole. No, I was more talking about getting my hands on FF7, 8 & 9. X is also on the list.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

God of War and God of War 2 are both worth the money (about 20 bucks each, maybe less now), they are the two best PS2 games ever. :D I know that is a hard statement to make, but seriously, they are amazing.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted was good, but one of the best racing games ever is Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (from 2002). I still play it, and it has been almost 6 years since its release.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Oh, I thought you were staying just on PS2, not the PS FF games as well. FF7 was groundbreaking for its time. I myself only played it 2 years ago but still really liked it. FF8 was pretty good but for some reason I could never get past the halfway point in the game without losing interest. FF9 was okay too, it had a whole load of similarities to the Dragon Ball Z TV series that I used to watch as a kid too :D FFX was great, it was my favorite one. I would suggest adding FF Tactics as well. AWESOME story and more strategy focused than any of the other FF games, it also takes place in the same world as FF12, kind of a prequel.

Totally agree with the God of War recommendations, can't believe I forgot :doh:

My siblings also swear by Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I've never played them but they looked good from what I saw them playing.

And for my last recommendation, The Warriors. Its a game adaptation of the novel and then movie of the same name. Good stuff.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Funny that you guys would mention GoW - I went to EB games today to get a memory card for my PS2, and I saw GoW (Greatest Hits, though) selling for CAN$15, so I got my hands on it. Good, free violence - what more can I ask for?

And yes, I'm open to recommendations for PSone games, too. Most of those sell for dirt-cheap - I can get some for under CAN$10 - and my PS2 is backward-compatible with PSone games, so why not add some old classic PSone games on the list? I like vintage games, old classics - as a matter of fact, I'm STILL playing the D&D game that came out on Sega Genesis (Warriors of the Eternal Sun), even though I played through the whole game like a thousant times, but it doesen't matter, because it's so damn good.

PSone and PS2, keep the recommendations rolling.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Definitely Xenogears. And Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I never played them but My friends said the Metal Gear series were too awesome for words, it starts in PS and continues onto PS2 and PS3. I used to hear great things about Grandia and Vagrant Story too but I got my PS late and wasn't able to get copies of the earlier games except for the most well-known ones like the FF series.

9. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I second Kingdom Hearts as well. Devil may cry 3 is good if you like GOW. Then there is resident evil 4. I'm playing Disgaea 2 myself atm. Pretty good srpg.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Adding to the recommendations thus far for GoW 1 & 2, absolutely LOVED them both and each has a "hidden" mini-game near the start which are both pretty good for a bit of a slightly-erotic laugh. Unless you're a die-hard Ghost Rider fan though, stay well away from the recent GR game, it's almost exactly the same as GoW but a poor shadow of it.

Can't get enough of the GTA games either, I've had every one that's available at one point or another (including the PSOne games + London Missions disc for said console) but I only have Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories currently.

Burnout Revenge is great fun if you like driving games but don't want to have to be a highly-skilled driver to get far.

It's generally hard to go past the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon and Ratchet & Clank games for some great fun as well, I initially bought them just for my son but when he encountered a couple of sections he needed help on I found myself enjoying them quite a lot

As for PSOne games, there are now only 2 that I still play regularly but they may be hard to find, or at least one of them may be, and they are Metal Gear Solid (still one of the best console games I've EVER played) and Vandal Hearts. It took me about 2 years to get my hands on my copy of Vandal Hearts, though that may be because I live in a relatively small town and though we are becoming more like the bigger cities it's still hard to get some stuff along these lines.

11. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

unfortunately the PS2 is slightly deficit as far as "proper" RPGs are concerned. At least from my viewpoint, since I feel JRPGs in general are terrible and derivative (FF included). Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and similiar are probably the closest you'll get to a western RPG on the PS2 as far as I'm aware.

The game killer7 is worth getting as well, if you can find it. I can swear to you now you'll never play another game like it.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Went to EB Games today looking for Burnout.

Didn't found it, BUT I found Destroy All Humans for dirt-cheap, so I got it.

So far, I love that game. Variable strength anal probe? Love it when it's charged up and causes the brain to pop out. :lol: The shock gun? Hehe. Extracting dead people's brains via psionics? Love it! Reading the minds of the people at the fair (the second mission) was eye-rolling... "I better take a break... that cow is starting to look too good" :lol:

This game is a perfect mix of violence and good fun. Definitively worth the $20. :thumb:

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The only problem I have with Destroy All Humans is that I've now finished every mission and it's very frickin hard to find the Alien Probes I haven't got yet, looks like I may have to go to GameFAQS for the walkthru

edit - otherwise I agree, fantastic game if you can get it cheap enough

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.