1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Attributes maxed question

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by kuemper, Dec 27, 2007.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What happens when all of your attributes are at 100? Does your character level anymore? Will the game lock up?

I am nowhere near this, but I want to know if I should be concerned about it.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Nah, I do that with every character. (In Morrowind anyway. Haven't tried Oblivion.) When skills max out you can't can't gain any more levels, but they dealt with the attribute maxing very well. When you've got fewer than three attributes that aren't maxed out, they give you accordingly less "coins" (or whatever the heck they are) to place. When they all hit 100, you don't have to place any at level up. You just get ten more health (since your endurance is at 100), the generic over-level-20 message, and you hit OK.

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Huh. :skeptic:

The must've patched that - because I remember grinding my character and getting 'locked up' on the 'attribute improvement screen' - only two non-100 attributes, and three 'talents' to apply - wouldn't let me leave that screen. And since Bethesda's engine took 'full control' of my keyboard, I couldn't Alt+F4 or Alt+Tab or even Ctrl+Alt+Del...had to cold reboot. :eek:

...mind you, that was eons ago, before they released Bloodmoon, so it sounds like they closed that loophole. I may have to reinstall; I never did try out Tribunal and K & her hubby are BOTH playing, so they're rubbing off on me. :D

4. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

in oblivion, you can level up until all your major skills reach 100
    if your attributes reach 100 before that, you will still be able to level up normally

maximum level will typicall be somewhere between 47 and 52, although some people cheat by going to prison to lose some skills, but that's a completely different matter

5. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

you can also make your major skills some you rarely/never use then you can be a low lvl stats wise, but be a killer in-game

example:

a Sword-heavy armor dude taking only spell schools as major skills, will level up slowly, but be a really hard hitter

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If I do have to restart on Morrowind, I just might do that. There are a number of things I'd like to do better...

And a few quests I botched in the process...

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Perhaps Felinoid can check me on this as it's been a while since I played Morrowind...but I seem to remember that it was important to remove any constant effect attribute boost items when you level up. If you have an attribute that's already maxed out due to an item boost, the game will treat your leveling as if no further points can be applied to that attribute.

Remove all enhancing items, then level up and re-equip and you can easily have attributes in excess of 100 in all areas.

Also...there's the old trick of letting yourself get thrown into jail for a period of time to allow your skills and abilities to erode allowing you room to "retrain" yourself.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Nope. The issue you're probably thinking of is that you had to remove those items when you used restorative magic after a damage attribute spell. It would also screw you up at the end of a drain attribute spell. Because in both cases it would go to your base stat, not allowing for the boost. And then when you took the boost item off, your attributes would still be damaged and you'd have to restore them again (though after that you're fine).

9. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Indeed. That would be a powergamer's way into the game. A character like that is VERY controllable, unlike the sneak/merchantile/athletics/acrobatics-skills. And even if he should use spells, it levels up very easily. Plus, you pick a race that does not get bonuses for spells and you get a character that can level up to the maximum. (not that it matters since enemies evolve with you)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.