1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

found my copy of Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card and started it.

2. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm rereading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It's about... dead bodies. Obviously. The cadaver and all that can happen to it after death, including various histories of things like embalming and dissection and things like that. I think it's quite interesting.
    After that I'll probably stop being creepy and start one of the Conan collections I've been meaning to read for three years now.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

put pastwatch on hold.. again. Reading Fatal Victories by William Weir. Very interesting stuff and not written in a dry way. It discusses how some victorious battles led to the winners' loss/destruction in the long run. An example is Hannibal at Cannae.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have cruised through About a Thief, Exile's Honor, Exile's Valor and By The Sword. The continuity errors between the Exile books and the rest of the series are truly mindboggling. If you are going back and filling in the details around events mentioned in passing in your earlier books wouldn't you make sure that you are not contradicting them? I have to wonder if Lackey even bothered to look at her older books when she was writing them. Also, was the editor asleep of did he/she think that Lackey is a well established popular author so something as mundane as consistency isn't important?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

wow, i'll definitely give that series a pass then :O

JSBB, iirc you recommended Paladin of Souls to me once before? It's recently become available in a local bookstore, do you still stand by that recommendation? Do you think I should pick it up?

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would recommend Paladin of Souls. It would probably be better to start with The Curse of Chalion but I think Paladin is written in such a manner that you don't have to have read Curse for it to make sense.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I find many D&D books nice to read. Ofcourse an obvious plot, stereotype characters etc etc, but nice for relaxing. The lost Mythal series at the moment. Good, not top notch.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished the "The lies of Locke Lamore" by Scott Lynch. I recommend it heartily.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    About 2/3 through Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies. I like it more than Lies (and I liked Lies quite a bit, which is why I picked up RSURS in hardback), simply because the jumping back and forth at the beginning didn't irritate me this time around. But if Lynch keeps doing that through all seven books, I think I'll hunt him down and kick his ass.

10. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Boat of a Million Years, Poul Anderson.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am reading Lackey's Oath series. I started with Oathblood and I am reading Oathbound now. Oathblood is a series of shortstories. They are decent for fantasy short stories. Oathbound so far has been remarkably free of an overall plot. So far you could some it up by describing it as "A year in the life of ...". That isn't a complaint but I suppose people looking for some epic plot would be somewhat dissapointed.

Edit: OK This really sucks. During my lunch time reading I found a couple of the short stories from Oathblood are included in their entirety within Oathbound. I think this pretty much cements the fact that there will be no central plot. Either collecting and republishing short stories or including them as part of a novel would be fine in my mind but doing both with the same story as part of a trilogy of books is absurd.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I just finished Body of Glass by Marge Piercy - awesome stuff. I'm not sure how obscure it actually is, having picked it up as a random thing, but it's definately a stand-out for random picks (not that they're generally bad - in fact, I seem to have a lot of luck with them. OTOH, the ones that I don't think are very good are still languishing in my cupboard, so perhaps there's some bias there :p )

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

This may sound absurd, but a friend recently got the Elminster series by Ed Greenwood and I thought about asking him about them. I've heard some praise and some, well, less praising things about them; are they worth it?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The first three books are worth reading for the background info alone. El in Hell should be skipped unless you're into self-torture. I haven't read the latest (El's Daughter) yet, so I can't give an opinion on that one.

15. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm reading V.J. Jone's 'The Book of Words' trilogy.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am just about to start "Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Reading the Stranger by Camus

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Very consistent Tal, I could swear that you've given this same line on at least 3 separate occasions I cam remember ;)

No mistake, I agree with him. El in Hell was crap. The only one I liked was Making of a Mage.

Currently reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. A friend of mine recommended it. Said it may appeal to my non-practicing Catholic personality haha

19. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No Humans Involved-Kelley Armstrong
    Empire of Ivory- Naomi Novik

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Scott Lynch seems to be popular at the moment! I'm going through The Lies of Locke Lamora and I like it thus far. A friend recommended it as different from run-of-the-mill fantasy, and it certainly is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.