1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do romances work - exactly?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by stormhand, Aug 14, 2003.

1. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] We might be a little :yot: , but still....

Xzar did approach me but, IIRC, his proposal sounded rather evil, so I declined his offer. I also thought I'd have to pick him up and give the booth to a member of the party, which I did not want to do. So the questions are: Is the quest evil? And do I have to pick him up to complete the quest?

2. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well you are rescuing an evil NPC, good cause, evil goal I guess. Xvar is evil after all. And no, you don't have to pick him up. As a rule of thumb you never have to (or can for that matter) have anyone who doesn't have a portrait in your party.

SPOILERS

Actually, in that quest you don't actually rescue Montaron. You end up killing Xvar's apprentices so they will let you in the building (unkown to you at the time) and then rescuing what you think to be Montaron polymorphed to a bird but really it's a harper who kills Xvar as soon as you bring him back. So in the end you do the good thing I guess. I don't think you have to do the quest for her romance though.

3. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sure Xzar is no angel, but he is asking you take it on harpers, not paladins after all :p
    And the proposal he makes sounded interesting to me at the time.
    Just consider it a favor to an old travel mate ;)

4. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This is a little :yot: of the last few posts but back to the romance topic, as far as love interest getting killed, well last time I played through the Asylum (SPOILERS!)
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    I rested at one point, changed into the Slayer and killed Aerie who I was romancing at the time. Anyway, I resurrected her and by the time I reached [snip]. So as far as I know, dying and being brought back doesn't kill the romance.

[All ToB elements removed. You are not allowed to post any ToB material in this forum. Please go read the forum descriptions or the stickies in both forums.] -Tal

[ August 17, 2003, 20:23: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Arian Gems: 5/31

It's only with Jaheria's romance that death ends it. I don't know if it's a bug or how it's supposed to be, but it does't really matter, Jaheria doesn't die too easily. The trick in that Slayer change is to sleep on another side of a closed door as everyone else.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] How come I've had Jaheira die and continue the romance? Presuming you still mean dead in the party

and on the slayer thing: Hacking your party to pieces rules :thumb: I just have them run away :p

7. Arian Gems: 5/31

@8people
    I dunno, do you have a patch in? Maybe it fixes her dying and ruining the romance. I haven't bothered with the patch because I haven't had any problems without it yet and like I said, Jaheria doesn't die easily. As far as running away when I slayer change....yeah....my party's lazy, what can I say? I even roleplay it, me and Aerie got in a fight the night before so we decided to sleep as far away as we could from each other. Unfortunately we couldn't be at opposite ends of Spellhold, our affection was too strong (You cannot rest when your party is scattered....I'll show you scattered) so we settled for on opposite sides of a door (we were still mad after all). :p

8. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

So if Jaheria dies and you use a Rod of Resurection or something the romance continues? Or is it buggered?

9. Arian Gems: 5/31

I think it matters if you have the patch or not but I dunno.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Correct. All the romances will be killed if the partner dies. The SoA patch fixes this.

11. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I'm only new to this whole world (and already I'm feeling at home, thanks everyone!) but as far as I know the copy of BG2 I've been playing (my brother-in-law's) has no patches or anything added - but then being new I wouldn't know would I? - and I've had my romance interest die a couple of times each time I've played through and the romance has been fine after they were resurrected. Maybe I'm just missing something though.

BTW - the sleeping on opposite sides of closed doors thing? I learned that quick. Had to cause I didn't want to risk using up my Rods Of Resurrection!

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@Aldazar

That was my experience as well, but every source I've checked said that my previous statement is correct.

Regardless, I am 100% sure that the no death thing does apply to Jaheira.

13. Arian Gems: 5/31

@ Aldazar

Off topic, but btw you can sell the rods and buy them back for around 6k (with 20 reputation and 20 charisma from blade of roses, hehe) for full charges again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.