1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Power Outages: what do you do?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, Dec 3, 2007.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The power went out last night for several hours. We lit candles and read for a bit. Hubby told the grue to stop wandering about.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Fortunately, our last outages of significance occurred during daylight hours. We grabbed blankies, built a fire, and played board games. Good thing they had the power back before it was time to cook - I was starting to think about what I could put in the cast-iron skillet in the fireplace!

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We play board games or cards if it lasts longer... not much else you can do. Reading by candlelight may sound romantic, but it's pretty hard and tiring to do in practice.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Thankfully, during the last outage, my GBA was fully charged and I had my bro's PSP, so I gamed through the whole outage. It lasted roughly four or five hours.

Power outages makes one realize how dependent on electricity we are.

5. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Light candles and read by the clip-on booklight and hope it's not too hot or cold. No alternative heat source in my house and I do hate icicles on my nose. (OK, sorry, that was gross.)

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last power outage we bailed water from the basement for three hours....

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I usually take a nice bath with candles and read something.

If it rains at the same time, playing scary slideguitar sounds with a battery-powered amp is lots of fun.

8. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I like to break out the battery powered lanterns and read.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Freak out briefly, then go to sleep (regardless of time).

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

We really don't get blackouts that last more than a few minutes very often. The last time we had a prolonged blackout was one day before I was scheduled to fly to Europe for a vacation. Packing in the dark with only a flashlight is not fun. I guess I would probably use my laptop until the battery runs out and then if the blackout was still going I would take a nap.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I love it! Haven't thought about the grue in some time.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember our last one... I'd probably be in the pub though, to be fair.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Read e-books on my phone I guess...or go out. Usually in India we have a bunch of blackouts during summers...so I usually go out for a drive, maybe get some ice cream or pizza with my brother or any mates who happen to be around...

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I personally browse SP :xx:

15. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    First freak out, then get very productive, doing everything that I usually don't because of Internet-related diversions.

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Watch my bro freak out. Light candles/get out battery lantern. Then read.

However since our last blackout was in the middle of the day I just looked for a good book through that. :D

17. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Sleep, usually. Last serious power outage I dealt with was during the hurricanes of 2004, and the house got really hot. That was the only real discomfort. (yay for gas stoves)

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oddly enough, any power outage I've experienced have happened in the middle of the night. As an added bonus, it's a great excuse for showing up late for work. :D

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...

If they happen during the night, I'm probably at work, so I could care less. If it's one of my night's off, I'll play on my laptop. I've got two batteries that are fully charged at all times, so the power could be out for 5-6 hours and I'll be ok.

If it happens during the day, then I'll just sleep through it unless it's the middle of summer...

The first 2 years that we lived in Utah, our area was expanding like crazy, so we'd have blackouts on a very regular basis. When we moved in, there were only one row of houses across the street, and behind them was nothing but empty fields and farmland all the way to the foot of the mountains...which are about 3.5 miles to the west. Now it's all be developed. The blackouts became so frequent, that my dad almost bought one of those house generators... :bad: :rolling:

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    play my DS, play boardgame, reads. Stuff like that. Last power outage was last year during the winter, lasted about two days. Wasn't fun having no heating.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.