1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

School Shooting in Finland, at least 7 dead

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoroth, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm kind of surprised that a school-shooting didn't happen sooner, although of course I didn't know to expect it either. However, a quite similar case happened years ago when a guy of about the same age detonated a bomb, getting himself killed as well, in a shopping centre in Finland. That was in 2002, was it?

There's a lot of similarities between these two people. It seems to me that both of them had ended up being loners, not fitting into the groups of their peers at school, but the striking difference between these two and the rest who are bullied or rejected by their group is that both of them found a group which accepted them, whereas normally these people get left almost completely alone by their peers, which increases their risk of committing a suicide. I think it's quite tragic that the goups they found acceptance from had to be the kind which increased their destructive tendencies.

The best solution for a teenager or anyone who doesn't fit in might be to move away. Do not underestimate the power of peer-pressure, it is something that drives all people. Kids like this shooter should find a group of peers which doesn't harbor hate against other people, or which doesn't support the notion of violence being a solution.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I graduated from that school 2002. Back then it was half smaller and the principal was just starting her job.

It could had been worse. Luckily it was just seven.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.