1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which paladin kit is the best - in your opinion?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TIN_MAN, Apr 23, 2001.

1. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] My favorite is the undead slayer...the immunity to hold and level drain is a GREAT advantage.

The second best unit is the inquisitor...because his true sight and dispel magic ability...but has no spellcasting abilities.

I think the most useless is the cavalier.
    There are only four dragons and a dozen of demons in the game...so there is no big use for his abilities.

2. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I am preparing a undead hunter for the expansion. I've started him as a paladin in bg1.

3. Memnoch Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You might change your opinion on the cavalier after ToB. :)

For BG2, the Undead Hunter would be the most useful, because of the number of level-draining undead you face.

Just my 2c.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Undead Hunter. At the start I thought it would be the Cavalier then I noticed that there was a giant influx of Vamps and other undead into Athkatla.
    btw, Just curious, Memnoch... isn't that the name of the Devil or something? :)

5. Memnoch Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Just so long as you don't call me Satan, or Lucifer, or Azazel, or Sammael, or Marduk, or Mephistopheles. ;)

6. nicholi Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] in my opinion i like the cavalier the best. that is the char im presently playing, even though he dosnt have the other good abailities like the others i like the feeling that u get when you know ur playing a true knight and the immunity to poision and fear is really nice

7. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Inquisitor. The Dispel Magic abaility, cast at twice the level of the Paladin, is indispensible against the many mages in the game. The casting time of 1 is an added bonus.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I personally like the cavalier - beeing restricted to melee isn´t that bad - my one is wielding C`Fury, Flail-of-the-Ages and Namarra/ Daystar (Carsomyr is in use by Keldorn) with a THACO of -1/ 0 at lvl-13 :)

He has no restrictions in cleric spells and turn-undead and has lay-on-hands. Basically closest to the basic paladin and more allround.

I chose Fighter1 script an with Donaldus using the boots of speed he´s a killing whirlwind and scoring some 45% of my perties total kills.

Inquisitor is nice with the powerful dispel magic but with Keldorn there is already a potent Inquisitor in the game. As for undead-hunters: even my non-level-drain-protected cavalier came along quite well with vampiric mists and vampires using daystar and he´ll get the mace of disruption soon...

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] The Inquisitor is the best in BG2.
    He has abilities that are lifesavers.

The best Dispel Magic in the game and plenty of very useful True Sights are what makes this the best Paladin kit.
    These are abilities that you can't get (Dispel Magic) or are costly (True Sight - Priest spell level 5).
    Abilities like Lay on Hands and Turn Undead (Paladin style) are worth about one red copper in comparison. :p
    Bonus to hit, be it undead, dragons or demons, aren't as valuable either.

(Naturally this assumes you're not going to use Keldorn! Why choose a Paladin if you plan on using Keldorn anyway? One paladin per party is a good rule IMO.)

10. ayecapitan Guest

Undead hunter be the easiest way to complete the game for obvious reasons :)

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] So the majority agrees.
    Good it be!
    There is no mutch to say.

12. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Hey, Tinman! Did I miss something or what? :confused:
    I see no consensus formed on this subject.

Of course ya'all should think like I ;) and see the great benefit of the Inquisitor, but alas, converting is a mighty hard task.
    Hmmm... maybe those thumbscrews can come in handy here...

13. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The inquistor is the best!!!

14. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] I'm just keepin my topic alive Earl Grey.

The inquisitor is a tank, a pity it can't turn undead and cast spells!

Tha cavalier ain't bad, but the undead hunter RULES!

15. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i agree! undead hunters DO rule!

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I played the game through the first time with a cavalier and had a grand old time. If I had known then what I know now (i.e., that there was a plethora of Vampires in this game) and Undead Hunter would have been a stronger possibility.

17. Earl Grey

[​IMG] You mention two disadvantages the Inquisitor has:

- The spell capacity of Paladins is hardly worth mentioning unless you want him to go Solo. If you want priest spells you'll need a cleric or druid anyway.

- Turn Undead doesn't look bad on paper (Two levels worse than a cleric) but in reality you won't use it as a Paladin taking into account two factors:
    A. A cleric is far better because of faster cleric level advancement. Max levels are Cleric-21, Paladin-17.
    B. A Paladin will find it easier to kill the undead that he has a chance of turning.

The other two disadvantages - Lay on hands and Cure Disease - are even less important. Lay on hands is truly meaningless considering that the protagonist starts with two CLW/day as a special ability.

Only the Undead Hunter has an ability that can match the Inquisitors - Immunity to Level Drain.
    Sure, level drain is a pain in the ***. To help against that you get an Amulet very early in the game and you can later on get an excellent weapon that gives you immunity to level drain. You can also use Negative Plane Protection and/or Limited Wish.

My point is that it is reasonably easy to get decent protection against level drain.

On the other hand the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic is literally irreplacable and his True Sight is not far from the same calibre.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited April 24, 2001).]

18. Hayashi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Sorry, but what does True SIght do? Does it dispel illusions?

19. Earl Grey

[​IMG] An Inquisitors True Sight is active for 10 rounds, every round dispelling hostile:
    - Invisibility
    - Improved Invisibility
    - Non-Detection
    - Mirror Image
    - Reflected Image
    - Shadow Door
    - Mislead
    - Projected Image
    - Simulacrum

Note: The mage spell is called True Sight and the clerical spell is called True Seeing

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited April 25, 2001).]

20. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Earl Grey!

Which is the weapon that gives protection against level drain?

Tell me PLEASE!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.