1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nothing really except a game or two of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne online on battle.net and that's pretty much only because I'm not prepared to let go of the account I've had for three years, ending up with some good stats and I'm not prepared to lose levels to experience decay, knowing one day I might want to resuscitate the account and play again. However, when my graphics card is back from repairs, or rather when I get the replacement, I'll need to find some time to play Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher.

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    While I usually start several games at once, I have dropped everything for Assassins Creed...its visually stunning, great fun, and the stories pretty ok so far (which is rare for games nowadays lol)...about half way through I think :D

3. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Yes it is quite buggy. I had quite a few ingame crashes. I also get major slowdown sometimes and some major clippings. For a game made by people that used to be in the blizzard development team, I'm quite disappointed.

But the area of permanent darkness is not really a bug. You get a pair of nightvision goggles to use when you get that mission (well, I did anyway). But the game doesn't really notify you so I ended up wandering in the dark for quite awhile too. It has pretty bad storytelling and notifications.

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm giving 'Oblivion' a rest while I try to finish 'Dawn of War: Dark Crusade' with the Imperial Guard.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Currently I'm playing Persona 3, a japanese RPG, for the most part, but also Quake Wars quite often. Both have their good and bad points. For example: Persona 3 suffers from random wipes (i.e: the player gets killed even if he has done everything 100% right) and Quake Wars can be very lame without teamwork (which is the norm on pubs).

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finally finished the NWN2 Original Campaign and I have started on the Mask of Betrayer content. I was kind of annoyed to find that most of my gear including my equipped weapons were all gone. Oh well, at least the rest of my equipped gear carried over. I suppose it does help with balancing things a little. My drow fighter was dual wielding vampiric kukris and except for the dragons no enemies in the original campaign managed to dish out damage fast enough to exceed the vampiric hp leeching.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What I did was as soon as I reached Mulsantir I bought, or debugged in the components I needed to somewhat recover my weapons. I was unable to add Holy damage because Safyra doesn't have the spells, and I didn't bother adding the elemental damage since the new crafting gives better elemental damage anyway. Mainly, I created the weapon type from the metal I wanted and added +5 enchantment to it then went from there.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have finished the first two levels of the barrow plus the small little library and smithy areas so I really have not gotten into MoB far enough yet to get any new crafting recipes or to be able to remake my weapons. It is kind of annoying to have a character with a bunch of weapon focus and specialization feats and to not have the proper weapons to use them. I just found a +3 kukri but that really pales next to matching cold iron/alchemical silver +5 vampiric 5 holy kukris with a +5 holy adamantium kukri back-up weapon.

Oh well, I seem to be finding essences at an unbelievably fast rate so I should be able to get enchanting as soon as I find some recipes. It does suck that Safyra won't be able to put holy on my weapons through.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I completely agree; it was really annoying. My first time through my Ranger had feats for Greatswords. I never found one in the barrow, and I don't think I found one anywhere, though I'm sure I could have bought one; good thing I made what I wanted.

Now I have my dwarf Weaponmaster going through; you can imagine how crippled a weaponmaster is without his weapon :) I at least found a +3 Dwarven Waraxe in the barrow, but again I made his special weapons once I got to Mulsantir.

Oh, and those essences? You're not really getting a ton of them; the powerful enchantments require brilliant or pristine essences, and you're getting mostly volatile. There's 8 volatile to a brilliant and 8 brilliant to a pristine.

EDIT: Oh, and about recipes: There aren't any. Examine the essences to find out what you can do with them in general, and experiment (or look at a walkthrough with the crafting recipes for the detailed information).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
    JSBB likes this.
  10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Starting Arcanum as a rich gunslinger/spellcaster woman.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yay for Arcanum! Gunslingers are pretty underpowered, but still a lot of fun to play.

I just finished Tribes of the East (boy was that last mission hard...) and am trying to decide what to play next.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

No recipes? Ugh. Oh well, I am downloading a crafting guide as I type. Thanks Blackthorne TA.

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed a lot at the moment, alongside the Orange Box (The cake is a lie!).

Also PES08, and World of Warcraft.

14. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I am still playing WoW exclusively, it has really sucked me in big time. PvP is my new hobby, trying to get all that reward armor. Horde rules on Doomhammer!

15. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm playing the latest Dwarf Fortress - it menaces with spikes of text!

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Dwarf Fortress is awesome, though I haven't checked out the latest version yet.

I've been playing The Longest Journey, having finally acquired it after quite some time of thinking that I should acquire it. Very mixed feelings so far though.
    It's an interesting game, and I want to know what happens next, I'd just wish I didn't need to wade through painful bits to get to it. My main problems:

1. The ludicrous amounts of non-interactive voiced dialogue. Dialogue is great. Ludicrous amounts of dialogue is great. Non-interactive dialogue is dull. Voiced dialogue is tedious. Put them all together and you have pain - especially when the voice acting isn't always very good, and the writing is very stilted in parts. I don't mind when talking to an interesting character, but there are some extremely, extremely dull ones amongst the gems - Tobias comes to mind, and the kooky guy who's in all times at once - he is truly horrible. Sounds like they used a cheap voice synthesiser or something.

2. Silly puzzles. I generally don't like adventure game puzzles. I tend to see them as annoying interludes to keep you from the interesting bits of the game, requiring stupid leaps of logic to get them in many cases. It's cool when they're intuitive and the steps follow from each other in a logical, easy to see manner, but for the most part they're not like that, and going to walkthroughs isn't much fun.

3. A minor quibble with the graphics. The art direction is decent, but they obviously didn't have the graphical might to pull it off so that it actually ended up looking good. Actually, my only complaint is the lack of anti-aliasing on the edges of the models so that they end up looking like they're shimmering when they move. The game is almost - but not quite - at the level where graphical capability needs no more improvement but just isn't quite yet there.

So yeah, nice, but sadly flawed game. Definately interesting enough to continue though.

17. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Finished Half Life 2... Sweet Alyx. :love:

Now waiting for my Orange Box with episodes One and Two. Portal sounded promising too, but I don't like MMO games, so Team Fortress can bugger off.

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Morrowind! The occasional round of Astral Tournament, and I have Civ IV Play by e-mail coming in. Other than that, there's free cell...

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just finished The Longest Journey. Excellent game - its flaws become less as the game goes on.

Now I have nothing to really chew into until Christmas, unless I want to give V:tM or System Shock 2 another try (which I don't really. Not in the mood for that kind of thing). Perhaps that's for the best, mind you. I might be able to get something constructive done.

20. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just started playing The Witcher. I'm just in the early goings and it's engrossing. Geralt of Rivia, the protagonist is probably one of the coolest video game characters I've played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.