1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slackware 12 problem

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Right-o, let's get down to buisness.

When I switched to Linux, I first used Slackware 10.2, which worked flawlessly. I eventually decided to upgrade to a clean install of Slackware 11, which also works flawlessly. And eventually, I attempted a clean install of Slackware 12.

This is where the troubles began.

First, where the hell are the good old bare.i, sata.i and scsi.s kernels? All I see is a huge something kernel, and attempting to load the sata.i kernel, I get a damn error message saying that the kernel wasn't found.

Okay, no big deal, I select the default kernel and follow up with installation. Everything goes well, but the installer does not ask me which kernel I want to use. No big deal, I finish everything up and reboot.

Surprise, during the boot, I get a kernel panic saying that root fs couldn't be mounted. Since this is the box I use for web browsing, needless to say I was a little screwed, so I wiped everything and reinstalled Slack 11.

I still plan on upgrading to Slack 12, but I'll admit I don't know squat on how to fix that problem. The most logical option I see would be to tell the system to boot /dev/sda1 as root FS, but with the kernel panic problems, it's a little bit hard to do.

So, how can I fix that?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe you should try a quick fix by switching to Windows XP? At least it installs with zero problems. Oh, the insult... :D

In my department, where I work as a tech.support guy, we use Fedora Core 8 after upgrading from v6 and v7. Version 6 had some bad troubles with installation, like Slackware, but re-installing fixed those. When v7.98 (nearly the official v8) came out, it also had problems, but they were fixed in the next bug-patch.

So all I can suggest is to try and install it once more with different settings or waiting for the next release. From my experience it simply isn't worth the hours it *will* require otherwise.

By the way, you can try booting it with textmode parameter and, IIRC, there was also a parameter for the default location of the kernel. Just can't bother to find it from the net... :sleep:

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hmm. I inadvertedly fixed the problem - formatted the partitions in XFS, and installed LILO on the MBR. Works like a charm now.

It was a good thing this problem happened - it forced me to learn more about Slack.

And once again be stuck with the headaches of viruses, worms, trojans, malware and all that crap? No thanks - I'd rather take the hard path than switch back to Bill's crap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.