1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"I think"-thread(PC's and NPC's possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ursaj, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Ursaj Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] This is my thread solely created to discussing anything related to characters of BG2(and BG).

There is one rule. Please don't bother posting stuff like like "Viconia rules, and Yoshimo is crappy." That won't accomplish anything, and will only piss everyone else off.

Ok, I think it's downright stupid to have so few characters from the original game, and that so many characters die off. Khalid is dead when you find him, Montaron is dead when you find him, Xzar dies, Dynaheir is already dead, Safana dies, Coran dies(unless you manage to save him)...Quayle seems to be the only one intact(and friendly, as Tiax isn't very good company).

On the other hand, though, it always good to see new faces...what do you all think?

2. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

First things first, you should have put down that this post is potentially a SPOILER, as some people may not know which characters have/haven't died.

Anyway, I guess that Black isle just wanted to show how many changes fate can serve up in the most oddest times, such as the Khalid insident, or erhaps some characters may have been unsuitable fo the situations that occur during the games story,
    or black isle just couldn't get the people back to make new voices fo characters from the original game, you also have to realise that in the situations place in BGII, not a lot of people will readily join a stranger under any regular circumstance.

Whatever the reason, i'm afraid that your just gonna have to live with the sometimes seemingly small amount of characters.

3. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] All victims to your tainted blood. I recommend not crossing paths with a bhaalspawn.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited August 04, 2001).]

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Few characters from BG1????

Remember that BG1 was far to the north of Amn. BG2 takes place far toithe south. So why should suddenly every NPC you met in BG be in Atkahla. That would make everything non-realistic. I say there are even too much NPC's from BG there. Why are all those guys "accidentaly" in Atkahla or somewhere in the neighbourhood?

And about Khalid and Dynaheir, you're adventure is very dangerous and it would also be very unrealistic if everybody just survives all. Where are fights, people get killed. Also part of the game. And isn't it also good to find new friends (like there are so many in BG2?)

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ajantis dies too, if you do the Windspear Hills quest. He's one of those shapeshifted paladins you meet at the entrance of the area; if you have Keldorn in your party when you kill them, he'll look at one of the bodies and say that it is Ajantis......

I'm not surprised to find Tiax in Spellhold (which also doubles as a nuthouse). In fact, I thought it was downright funny.

But it would have made sense for Kivan to be in BGII (in BG1 he was hunting Tazok, who also appears in the Windspear Hills of BGII).

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I think a good job was done in deciding who would show up again and who wouldn't for gameplay and realistic reasons. But I would scrap Safana and Coran's appearance in BG2 that was just too weak. A weak little side quest in a very hard to navigate forest map that was pointless. Maybe they were trying to recreate that feel you get from finding little things in the forest like in BG1, well in this case they didn't do a good job of it. But everyone else's little appearances (from Faldorn to Quayle I liked)

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited August 04, 2001).]

7. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Was it actually possible to save coran!!

(pulls large blanket over my head to muffle the sounds of utter despair, man I REALLY tried to save him)

bongo bouncing of and sniffles in a corner
    :eek:

8. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] It is possible to get Kivan Tiamat.
    Just write this in the console
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("Kivan")

9. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] It suXXors! It kinda takes the fun out of meeting old friends when they all DIE!
    WHY GOD?! WHY?! THEY WERE SO YOUNG!
    WHY THEM?! WHY NOT MEEEEEE?!

10. Tasohan Gems: 10/31

Better they than me
    (Achmal Chaotic Evil Conjurer)

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Divine Shadow, that was the funniest post I've read in a long time, I laughed so hard I think I broke something.

Headbanger, good point on the geography issue, there are A TON of poeple that have relocated from Baldur's Gate to Ahm, very strange, must be because BG gets boring once Sarevok is dead, all the adventurers go somewhere exciting.

Also, I think it should be pointed out that in addition to finding dead npc's from the first game, your main PC will also wind up killing a couple that may have been in your party at one point. It's wierd the game doesn't seem to take that into consideration in the dialog.

SPOILERS
    You kill Faldorn in the druid cove, but there's no evidence that you ever knew each other.

Quayle and the main PC never seem to recognize each other either... although he is quick to hand Aerie over to you.

Also in the asylum, Dradeel is there from the ToSC expansion, he's the wizard from the Lost Ship of Balduran quest that helps you escape the island. Evidently getting trapped with werewolves for 300 years affected his mind a bit.... ("bad doggies! bad! down! down!") Oh yeah he dies too in BG2 as well.

Ajantis's death was already mentioned.

END SPOILERS (were those even spoilers?)

12. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The main reason for so few NPCs is because of the NPC interaction. It would take too long to program responses and conversations for all those NPCs.

The NPCs dying, well they had to figure out a way to kill them off. Also, from a role playing view i doubt the PC would meet all the NPCs from BG1 much less travel with them.

Coran can be saved, just cast a death spell into the wolf weres.

13. just a guy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

also did you notice that there are no more nps groups like that of khalid and jaheria. that is definatly a nice touch.

14. Malekith Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i think it was awfully sad seeing good old khalid dead, i felt with jaheira and would have given a lot to see him back alive. In BG1 i kept jaheira and khalid just because they were such a nice couple!

*SPOILER*

And yes there is Minsc and Aerie. (Arie is his witch in my group ... kinda annoying cause each time Aerie dies he gets berserk by himself)

15. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

Thanks ArtEchoke.
    Well...I just think that if you can meet one, then you should be able to meet them all. Why Xzar, Coran, Safana etc. and not
    Kagain or Kivan?

16. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Garrick aint dead

17. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Not having played BG1, what bothers me is that it's not all that easy to balance a party and remain relatively true to alignment. Who's idea was it to put three thief-mages in the game? And only one pure mage (who's thoroughly evil) and one pure thief (who *SPOILER* you can't take to the underdark with you)?

Seriously...You need a thief in your party, and you end up swapping one with incredible potential (and who racks up crazy XP every time he removes a trap) for a lousy thief who's been rotting in spellhold and therefore not advancing in mage levels. I finished the game recently with 3 tanks (Keldorn, Minsc, & my monk), Jaheira, Aerie, and Imoen, and frankly I would given anything to have Yoshimo in the underdark.

There's my two cents..

18. Brega Gems: 6/31

Methinks Jan Jansen is the best thief AND mage, so there is no need for little Yoshi anyways.

19. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Maybe, but the sawed-off little sunuvabitch can't lay traps for sour apples.

20. Brega Gems: 6/31

No, but he can detect invisible suckers like that bastard Neb.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.