1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A question about monks

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by TrueBlueAussie, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

This has probably been asked before but Im not really in the mood to look through threads for an answer.

I have never really had a proper go with a monk before but I have heard they can be absolute powerhouses.

My question to you guys is: Are monks better arm or unarmed?

As a side note, I will be playing a monk through BG1 and BG2.

Cheers.

2. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Considering that they can only use thief non-twohanded weapons, I´d say unarmed. As far as I remember, the extra 1/2 attack they gain every third level only applies to unarmed attacks. I´d still put some points in a weapon, like a sword, so you can use a magic weapon, if you´re fighting creatures immune to the enchantment of your hand to hand attacks. A monks unarmed base damage gets pretty high compared to most weapons in the game. Stunning Blow and Quivering Palm can be, if applied at the right time be a death sentence for many a foe.
    And yes, they gain some other good skills. Magic resistance later on in the development of the monk can be mentioned. Immunity to normal weapons, although of minimal use in the late stages of the game, and so on.

3. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Go unarmed.

LATE GAME SPOILER BELOW

You will probably want to side with the Sahuagin King.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what you are fighting against and what equipment you have.

In BG1, you will probably want to use weapons to start with. You get better 'to hit' from the magic weapons you find, damage is equivalent -- your fists do 1d6 to start, 1d8 at third level, and 1d10 at sixth level. You don't get very many proficiencies (2 to start and one every 4 levels, IIRC). Choosing slings (missile weapons are very powerful in BG1) and a bladed weapon is probably your best bet (your fists are blunt). Single weapon style is a good choice at some point because it helps your armor class when you wield a weapon.

You start SoA doing 1d10 damage -- great, but you can't hit enemies that require magic weapons to hit until level 9. Use weapons as a backup to your fists and keep those which give good abilities (such as a flaming sword for trolls, etc.). Proficiency in scimitars and single weapon style will help (the Scarlett Ninja-To is an excellent weapon for a monk, as is Belm -- both give an extra attack).

Yes, leave Spellhold by boat and side with the king -- this is THE quest for monks.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It's been a while, but I think I tended to go fists most of the time (for the special attack), but often had a weapon in the quickslot for the abilities (ie Ilbretha for the mirror image). Slings tended to be useful, usually (because of the increased movement rate) my monk would see the enemies 1st and it is usually better to spray the enemy with bullets from a distance whilst your party catches up than run into the battle unsupported and get mobbed.
    Also monks can use wands...for some reason, a bit cheesy but its nice to have an extra spell caster to dish out fireballs in between attacks.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I second the suggestion to go unarmed as much as possible through BGII. Keep a magical weapon for opponents that your fists cannot harm and take a sling for some extra damage. You may also wish to consider a proficiency point in Daggers in order to use magical throwing daggers.

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    In ToB? GWW will allow the monk to use weapons well enough. But how many unarmed attacks a monk with improved haste would do? More than 10? Or wait, can you even haste a monk? I haven't played a monk for ages...

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Nah haste is out - Monks become immune to disease, slow and (improved) haste at level 5 - I guess they already have increased movement rate and attack fairly frequently.

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I do wonder why you would want to use GWW and a weapon against most enemies. By the time you are getting HLA's, you fists already count as magical and do d20 damage. There aren't all that many times that you really need to pull out a weapon with greater enchantment on it in ToB.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Or, do what I did. Side with the prince, then when the king is dead and prince turns up, wipe everyone and everything out in the city. You still get what you want, and get extra XP. I don't see a problem from an RP perspective, either ;).

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Barmy -- did you play a monk? Only the King awards a monk-specific item (it is not there if you kill him -- please let us know if there is a mod that overcomes this). Siding with the prince would be akin to a paladin leaving Firkraag alone. By all means, wipe out the king and his lackies afterward for additional experience, but side with the king initially and kill the prince first if you're a monk.

Spoiler

At 18th level a monk makes 4 attacks per round (1d20 per attack). Neither haste nor improved haste have any affect on the monks attack -- WW and GWW will improve the attacks to 10 per round. The same 18th level fighter will have 4 attacks per round with a specialized weapon (+1 if dual wielding, another if using Belm or other such weapon), and either +1 attack per round from haste (or boots of speed) or double the attacks per round if improved hasted (max of 10 attacks per round). So:

Valygar (with same XP) using Celestial Fury and Belm, wearing boots of speed will have 7 attacks per round for max 88 damage, plus 7X str bonus, plus lightning -- this is increased to 124 damage, plus 10 times str bonus plus lightning for imp haste, WW, and GWW.

Keldorn wielding Carsomyr and wearing boots of speed will have 5 attacks per round (max 90 damage, plus 25 for CE, plus 5X str bonus) -- max 144 damage, plus 40 for CE, plus 8X str bonus for imp haste; max 180 damage, plus 50 for CE, plus 10X str bonus with WW and GWW. I love paladins....;)

While your monk will only have 4 attacks per round (max 96 damage, plus 4X str bonus) -- with no advantage for imp haste, but increasing to 240 max damage plus 10X str bonus for WW and GWW. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.