1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think he did... but then why would you ever trust someone with a 6 rep?

How are the rep points on the profile page related to rep power?

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I must have ticked someone off. Mine dropped to zero.

CamDawg likes this.
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Admins defaulted to 10 rep power; I've set it so that we follow the same rules as everyone else now.

For Harbourboy, 1 power point per every 1000 posts (11) + 1 power point per every 365 days registered (4) + 1 power point per every 100 rep points given to him by others (?).

That leaves just 1 point to account for. Since everyone needs 50+ posts before their reputation hits count on others, it probably means that you get the first power point (1) upon reaching 50 posts. We just need to find someone with 49 posts and check if he gets 1 power point at 50 posts. ;)

Drew, your rep is disabled in your profile... try enabling it. It probably shows 0 for everyone who has it disabled.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Why do some people have their ages displayed and others not? Profile feature, or information simply not provided?

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You can set whether you want your age and/or birthday shown by going to the User Control Panel (click "User CP" on top) and clicking the "Edit Profile" link. Choose a setting in the "Privacy" drop-down box under "Date of Birth".

@Tal: I see my portrait is back. Now would probably be a good time to say Thank You :thumb: for all your hard work!

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're welcome. The SPS forum access should be restored back to normal today as well.

Edit: Oh, and just in case anyone thinks the board is malfunctioning; I've set showing of Reputation ON for everyone on the board. This is just so that not everyone has to do it manually. This is probably the last of the global setting changes I'll be doing.

If you've disabled Reputation previously, just do it again, and it'll stick this time. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

what's wrong with this new board, Tal's avatar looks far too red...

(ok, congrats on the new look!)

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep, things are getting back to normal. I almost didn't know what to do with myself for the 2 or so days I wasn't getting pop ups on the new boards. :eek:

I mean, who doesn't need regular exercises to keep their dexterity up? Attempting to kill the 2 standard pop ups I get when I hit these boards before they have the chance to render any information whatsoever, is... something I had clearly taken for granted. So glad they're back! :bang:

Sarcasm aside, good to see the boards take a nice jump forward from a technology perspective. Nice execution on the upgrade Tal. Seamless, for the most part.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Splunge must be really upset that he can no longer hassle Tal about when the Board update will happen. :)

Splunge likes this.
  10. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

OK, I'm late getting to the new boards (long, complicated weekend) - I like them and think they're easier and more fun to view.

One question: Some of us with portraits display gems and some don't. How do we get our gems to display? I like them and mine isn't currently up.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm going to disable simultaneous showing of gems and avatars/portraits, because they take too much space if they're both used. That is, all that info on the left side stretches the post table to make it too large for short posts... there'll still be a way to see your gems though. I'll figure something out.

Marceror, two popups aren't intended, they just happen because some advertising where I can't disable them overlaps with the standard code. I'll fix that as soon as I can.

In the meantime, you might consider getting yourself a site supporter account, via which you can disable all the advertising site-wide.

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Thanks for the prompt explanation, Tal, that makes sense on the gems. It's true the side portraits take up more space now, though it's interesting to see all that "at a glance."

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Heehee!

I actually decided to give Tal a break awhile back. But my patience was starting to wear thin. I guess Tal was starting to get vibes and got nervous!

:p

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I think it's funny that anyone who has a rep of 1 or higher is, "on a distinguished path." :rolleyes:

And as for gems, why not put them in a user's profile? :rolling:

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you looking at Rep Power for that number? Because Rep Power and reputation are different.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

How do you find that out? Is it in the user's profile?

EDIT: BTW, I enjoy the quotes now. At least I can know who said what.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe. I totally misunderstood that at first. Now it makes sense. ;)

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    100 reputation gives 1 Rep Power I think.

Every time someone leaves you good reputation for a post or whatever, it adds 10 to your reputation.

That's how I understand it anyway.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wonder how to see someone's reputation. I can only see my own at the moment. By the way, you, Barmy, still have both an avatar and a gem, unlike the rest of people. Wonder why.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You can see anyone's reputation by hovering with the mouse over the green rectangle icon next to the Rep Power count.

Also, I've enabled multi-quoting again. We've had reply with quote disabled in the past, but since I've left it enabled here, I figured I might as well enable multi-quoting too. The problem is, with this on, people tend to quote entire posts and not just the part of the text they're actually responding to. This bugs me, since it means we're cluttering the database with way too much unnecessary ballast. It certainly adds to the ease of use though. :bad:

See above. And everyone who isn't an SPS account holder or doesn't have only a gem rank also has their avatar/portrait shown. This is because those users aren't grouped properly yet. On the to-do...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.