1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

User Friendly RP

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm personally interested in seeing another RP start up on this board in the near future and am wondering if others share similar sentiments.

What I'd like to see would be an roughly D+D based fantasy RP. D+D based because it facilitates a similar set of ideas everyone would be using, but no use of mechanics such as levels, abilities or AB. Anyway I'd hope to do an RP in which most of the sub-plots and such where created and handed by owners of the PC characters in order to stimulate increased longevity in the RP (and likely better story ideas as multiple brains are most often better then one). I'd do the role of "DM", but it'd be more of a hands off one, predominately operating NPCs who further the overarching plot line of the RP. This should allow (I hope) for the PCs to be the primary focus of the RP rather then the plot line.

If you're interested/intrigued/any other emotion involving commitment to being involved in a thread just reply on this threads with any comments you have.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Definitely interested. The only RP I'm in now (save for a couple that are floundering) is IRC-based, and it'd be good to get back to PbP.

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Count me in.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*jumps on bandwagon*

Let me know what the basics are.

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Well first off, whatever Ed. you're most comfortable playing in is fine (since there's no mechanics involved it won't matter and all the ed.s are compatible enough).

It takes place in a custom world (the world I DM in for PnP). It's been somewhat revamped since I've last used it in the RC. I'll provide more info as things get going, but the Kingdom the RP starts out in is vaguely based on medieval Novgorod and Lithuania. The land's are often swampy and cold. It's one of the less civilized kingdoms in the western sphere of the world and its people are often regarded as raiders and demon worshipers by people of wealthier nations (the kingdom does have an unusually high number of demonic cults as the harsh environment makes some turn to chaotic and dangerous powers). The kingdom is patriarchal in its secular alignment, being one of the last kingdoms in which polygynous marriages are practiced by the nobility. However, the kingdom is dominated by the church of the Goddess of Cold and Death and her church is distinctively matriarchal which leads to clashes between the dominate culture and the dominate religious institution.

As for classes to base your character on, anything works save psionics (wrong sort of flavor) or more traditional oriental classes (that is professions like the Wu Jen or Samuari aren't likely to be found in a region that is strongly medieval european).

Races:

Human

Dwarves (Hill, Mountain and Deep)

Elves (High, Gray, Wood and Wild)

Gnomes (Rock)

Half-Elf

Half-Orc

Halfling (Hairfoot 1 e. and 2 e., Lightfoot 3.0 and 3.5, Tallfellow and Stout)

Planetouched

Feytouched

Changelings

I have a good deal of information on regions, deities and such that I'll put up later. In the mean time I'd have no problem responding to PMs.

Edit: Hobgoblins are another playable race. If you think there is another not so exotic/flashy race I should allow, I'm open to suggestions. Just off the bat, there are no drow, duergar or avariel in this world (or flumphs for that matter, by God, no flumphs).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm in. I've missed out since Rasheman died a slow painful death.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No flumphs? Bah. :p

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I understand they took a lot of flack back in the day :D

Anyway, I've got three 5ish page papers do this week so I'll try to get the RP going after I finish with them so I should be able to start posting things on Friday (unless I budgeted time poorly and ended up pulling an all nighter). If not Friday, I'll start getting things up on Saturday. It's a lot of stuff so it might take two days to get all the Pre-RP info up depending on the amount of time I have.

9. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

hmm sounds like fun, yes this is something i might like to get in on.

guess ill wait a bit till more info is posted, before really sitting down and thinking my character out.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Nothing fancy from me. A plain, straight-up fighter. I don't know if he'll be good, evil or neither nor his race. His mentality: KILL IT. :p

11. Elfen Lied

well i probably more familiar with 2E, BGII's use of 2E specifically.

so Ill go with

Name: Dentarg Skullcrusher
    Race: Half Orc
    Class:Fighter/Cleric (Mutli)
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Stats:
    -19 Str
    -16 Dex
    -19 Con
    -10 Int
    -18 Wis
    -10 Chr
    Proficiencies:
    -Flail
    -Hammer
    -Two Weapon Style

and ill RP him as a Cleric of the church of the Goddess of Cold and Death. Skullcrusher comes from the fact his hammer has been known to crush skulls with one blow.

I like being a Hallf Orc fighter/cleric, as i like to think, ok there is some sort of education there (possibly due to the mother), but a Half Orc, still a (pretty) savage and brutal creature, and while Barbarian is the Half Orcs favoured class, in BG you cant be a Barbarian/Cleric, so the next best option is Fighter/Cleric.

if anything in there doesnt work for you, or if you would prefer it if i changed something, let me know.

12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Lol. The irony is you picked arguably the most restrictive deity in terms of cleric restrictions in my pantheon. She only allows females of the elf, half-elf, human or cold "subtype" persuasion of Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil alignment as her clerics.

I'll try to post the deities pretty soon so people can get a sense of the divine forces working in this world. I have a couple of deities that I'd recommend for a half-orc fighter/cleric (though they'd involve said half-orc shifting to chaotic neutral in alignment as most of my true neutral deities involve trade, mining, nature or the like).

I might also need some education on some of the needs of 2e clerics as I'm not to sure about what this major/minor sphere stuff is.

Also you won't need to post stuff like stats unless you feel it helps your game play or similar sentiments.

13. Elfen Lied

oh damn. ok forget about being of the church of the goddess then. when you said matriarchial i figured you meant like the drow in BGII, females hold the high posistions while males are the lesser beings, carrying out the orders of the Hand Maidens and Matron Mothers.

but if you dont ask, then you wont find out, (ok so i didnt really ask)

if you can that would be great. then ill see which one appeals to me. Chaotic Neutral? yeh that could work.

I just had to get something down about my char before i forgot, and starting think "now what was it i said he was going to be..."

(bad) force of habit that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.