1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Intentional for now, so that all existing users go there first and not register anew here.

Montresor, good question... I'm looking into it.

Edit: I've also expanded the description of import note #4 in my first post in the thread (regarding the profile pictures). I hope it's clearer now. If anything is unclear to anyone, please ask here so I can clarify!

Regarding broken avatars/titles, I know you're all patiently waiting for me to fix them. I hope I'll be able to get this done today. Thanks for bearing with me.

Edit2: I see that profile picture editing is disabled for regular users completely. :doh: I'll get this fixed soon.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Montresor, check if everything regarding Reputation works now. I've looked around and it seems to be working.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Yep, it works now! :thumb:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Thanks for the answer. I've seen it on a few other boards and couldn't find out wtf it was about.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone NOT to double, triple, quadruple etc. post, i.e. respond to their own posts repeatedly in under a day. We've had this disabled for a reason on the new boards, and will be again here as soon as I get to it.

In the meantime, the new message board software allows us to merge threads and deduct your post count at the same time (so 2 posts merged into 1 will count the same as you only making 1 post), so we can clean up easily enough. But since you're not gaining anything by doing it, well, please don't. :D

The Great Snook likes this.
  6. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

its no huge issue, i can wait

well it serves no real purpose, so people tend to forget about it or dont even know whats its for.

7. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Only thing I've noticed that bugs me (not really for any particular reason, just seeing empty space seems like a waste :p) Is that if you write a short message, all the info down the side results in a huge empty post. There is most likely no way around this, and like I said it's probably just me. Just an observation really.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    This will be fixed by displaying only avatars or gems, but not both at the same time. They're the reason why this happens (besides all those extra icons and info below them, that is).

9. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Hello Tal,

Just wanted to ask you if the minimum 3-character search term requirement could be changed?

Right now, I can't search for phrases such as "F/M" or "F/T" because the search engine requires all search terms to be more than 3 characters.

There were quite a few old posts I was reading that had "F/T" or "F/M" as part as their thread title.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Ok, all the SPS account holders should have fixed avatars/portraits + titles now. If anyone else's is broken, let me know here.

Strife; I've already had to adjust it to go down to 3 (the default is 4+ only). And the problem here seems to be vB not recognizing / as a character, since F/T or F/M are both 3 character words. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll look into it.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    One thing I just noticed... When you click a link in the "Last Post" section, it doesn't actually take you to the last post of whatever thread it was in.

For example, on the main BoM page, I clicked the "last post" link for the Whatnots forum (Random Babbling Post #98 by Dragonfly), and it took me to a post by kuemper...9 posts above. :bad:

I tried it again, this time on the (Look at this thin cooler by Disciple of The Watch) link next to the TM forum link...and it took me to *my* post which was 2 posts above DotW's.

Also, Tal, remember the border issue I was having in the beta phase? I'm still having it, and after a few tests, I have concluded that it is a direct conflict with the skin I have applied via Windows Blinds. If I revert vack to the Windows "classic" or "XP" theme, the borders show properly, but as soon as I apply my custom skin, the issues come back. I tried fine tuning the skin as much as I could, but with the options I could change, nothing helped. :bad:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I like the chunky buttons... :)

Caradhras likes this.
  13. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Looks like the move went rather well, Tal.
    :)

14. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The 'New Posts' link makes me very happy.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how come some people have disabled reputation?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Last post you haven't seen yet, maybe? We're relying on cookies for this data at the moment, and it can potentially mean some odd happenings now and then. I'll look into it when I get the chance.

Nothing I can do about that, unfortunately... no programs should mess around with the browsers.

I'm quite happy with it, yes. All those weeks of preparation paid off. ;)

I'm relatively sure it's disabled by default for all the imported users, so they need to turn it on manually.

As for reputation power (a common question); the higher your reputation power, the more reputation points you can give to someone in one vote. Your reputation power depends on several factors: how long you've been a member, how many posts you have, your own reputation, and potentially some other factors.

Down the line I'll need to document all this, since vB's FAQ and feature documentation on the user end is really poor in some cases.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, how is that HB's Rep Power is 16 and Tal's is a measly 10?

The boards look great -- although it will take a little while to get used to them. The old board had such a familiar feel to them....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  18. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I like the new boards, Tal.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, the rep system seems a bit random. HB's 16 is by far the largest I've seen. I'm at a 10, Barmy a 9, T2B at a 6. Was the criteria strictly based on post count to begin with? (That would explain it to some degree, but Tal has way more posts than me, yet we're both at 10.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? I see 22 next to Tal's Rep Power... Maybe he changed it :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.