1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to Oblivion - char creation tips

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Edmond Dantes, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] So I just got my hands on oblivion - I nearly went for Morrowind instead, but from what I've read Oblivion is a little more accesible for newbies. I was wondering if anyone here has tips on character creation, like things to do, not-do, etc...
    I want to avoid creating a useless characted and having to start over after a while
    thanks!

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are no useless characters in Oblivion. For a beginner the best thing is probably to pick one of the established characters.

My suggestion would be to take Battlemage or Spellsword which gives you a beginning mixture of Mage and Warrior. Redguards get bonuses to weapons and are resistant to poison and disease. Bretons are strong in magicka and Orks, of course, in strength.

For birth-sign The Lady, Warrior or Steed.

I'm sure others will have their own favorites.

Both Oblivion and Morrowind encourage the Jack-of-all-Trades development of characters. Thieves are great in Oblivion but you need to get them through the first few levels.

Welcome to the world of Oblivion. Remember it is a dangerous and treacherous place so save, save, save and save again.

3. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

Thanks!

Also, are there any mods / patches I need to download as a must?

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Make sure you patch the game with the appropriate patch. When I get a new game I prefer to not use mods. If you have the official plug-ins you may want the Unofficial Plug-in Patch found on Bethesda Software Forum. Sorry I don't remember the exact name.

There is also a Key-chain plug-in but you need obse (which is a script extender) so you might want to wait on that. Many mods can be added without needing to restart your game. Start playing the game and if there is anything you really want to change there is most likely a plug-in.

5. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

okay thanks.

Any viable mod out there to prevent the "ennemies level up with you" thing? It seems pretty un-RPG like to me.

Thanks!

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If you want a game like that, go play Morrrowind. ;)

7. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

hmm... maybe I will start out with Morrowind then, because that scaled leveling is just ridiculous in my mind - I read that when ur powerful, even the basic bandit comes equipped with top notch armor and weapons (why be a bandit if you can afford that stuff anyways lol). No idea why the heck they would implement that: what's the point of leveling up then?

So I'll be playing Morrowind until they develop a patch for the level stuff.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah levelling is actually bad in Oblivion. The enemies and you stay relatively in balance but any allies or characters who you are supposed to protect do not. As a result a quest involving accompanying soldiers would actually be easier if you are low level because at higher level the pumped up enemies will slaughter your soldier buddies in an instant.

Also, given that you can easily pump up all of your skills there isn't really much differentiation in character classes either so spending a lot of time in character creation is kind of moot. Unless you purposely avoid it you will eventually end up with a fighter/mage/thief regardless of how you start out.

9. Nakia

Media:
    There are mods that deal with the leveling but I don't know how good they are. Oscuros(sp?) Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) I believe really changes the game and I think makes it harder. It is a big mod and very popular. There are others.

I have Modular Oblivion Enhanced which has mods for randomizing creatures and items. I remember seeing something about a mod that affects those silly random bandits but I don't remember its name.

10. Rook Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just saw yourr post and I am new to Oblivion too.

You said that you wanted to know if there was a way to stop the enemies leveling up with you. I use Francesco's, just google for francesco's oblivion. A fantastic mod for RPGers, they still level with you but it gives the enemies min/max levels, so bandits will never reach stupidly high levels, but will level with you to a certain point for example. Also makes enemies that are meant to be hard, like arena champions etc higher level to start so you can't defeat them at lvl 8 etc. Does other things too like slows the weapons down but increases their dmg to give them a more realistic medieval feel and adds a couple hundred weapons/armours and types of enemies to the game.

Also try Martigen's Monster Mod and when downloaded use his Monster Mod for Francesco's version. Adds about 2000 types of enemies some are the same but look different, makes undead return to life at random intervals, adds more wildlife to the wilderness, makes certain types of enemies fight each other aswell as you, adds other adventurers to dungeons that will either join you or see you as competition and much more!

Also try AF Leveling mod, it has an attribute leveling mode that is really nice, it means you can just play your character as you would want to and it raises your attributes by the way you act, just like your skills, when you have raised your attributes by a total of 9 you count as having levelled up.

I use many more mods (about 60 i think), all aimed at making the game more realistic or improving RP and I have to admit it is now probably my favourite game of all time.

If you plan on using mods don't forget to get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, the OBSE (enables extended scripts used by some modders) and The Oblivion Mod Manager, otherwise things can get messy. This game has probably the best and most active modding community I have ever seen for a game, check it out!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.