1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you read the books in Morrowind and/or Oblivion?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Nakia, May 12, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A lot of work has gone into creating the many books found in Morrowind and Oblivion. I actually read them and got to wondering what others did. So here we go. There is only one (1) question.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you read the books in Morrowind and/or Oblivion? (25 votes.)

Do you read the books in Morrowind and/or Oblivion? (Choose 1)
    * I read any new title I find. - 16% (4)
    * I open the book and read if it looks interesting. - 56% (14)
    * Sometimes I read it but mainly just check for skill books. - 20% (5)
    * I only look for skill books. - 4% (1)
    * Other, please post explanation. - 4% (1)
    * Books? What are books? Just the results for me. - 0% (0)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I don't read them in-game, because I'm usually busy with something else at the time. But when I feel like reading a good short story, perhaps on the bus, I'll crack open the Construction Set and read one of them.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I have read some of them yes, I have even collected them into libraries in Morrowind. :D

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I'd do that too, but you can't place them upright. :shame: A million drakes to the man who figures out how to lean things against walls in-game! ("In-game" meaning: not using the Construction Set.)

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I just use the crates in the Balmora Council Club for my library.

I read stuff on the Nevarine and the Dwenmer, or anything else that looks important. I really should look over more of the books though. It might give me some insight into the greater quest...

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've read most of the books I've found in Morrowind and Oblivion, and I store huge ammounts of tomes and such in various places in the world.

However when I wish to read a series of books (Like "The Wolf Queen") I tend to use the Construction Set as some of those series are darn hard to find.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @The Magister

That's a whole part of the fun, instead of looking for powerful weapons and armour, I am actively looking for books :D

@Gnarfflinger
    There is a mod, improved Balmore I believe, that allows you to buy furniture and place them in your home. I had an entire set of bookcases completely filled with books, so much books that I was forced to place most of them on the ground.

[ May 31, 2007, 21:16: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @Morgoth: It's not that I don't collect them, it's just that sometimes I want to read them without going to some obscure little shop, or raid a hard to get to Dungeon

9. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i've read many books in morrowind, but in oblivion i just tend to read books related to quests, and interesting books

it's too bad that most of the books are just there to read, there is nothing to gain from them, except learn a little more about lore

if every (or every 2nd,3rd) book led me to an interesting adventure, or a piece of treasure, i would have read them all!

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well, there's "The Argonian Maid" or something...I collected all the volumes and it was a hilarious read!

Then there was "The Real Barenziah" series, History of the Empire...well, I love the lore in Oblivion. But most of the books are like "Guide to Bruma" or "The Imperial City" etc etc...which are pretty boring.

So, I only read a book if it seems interesting.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Have any of you read the "Guide to (City name)" Series? I swear that woman hates everything. :lol:

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i usually read a few lines first to see if it is worth reading. i skip sermon stuff outright. Actually, i skip most of the none story worthy ones.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In Oblivion I read all the "Guide to (city name)" ones. :)

At first I was mainly interested in finding skill books but after glancing at a few I decided that if they went to all that time and trouble to compile the books I could spend a little time reading them. Some of the books have interesting information and stories.

14. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

At different times when I tried playing Morrowind, I must not have been paying attention to books. And I have no recollection one way or the other back to Daggerfall and Arena, but in Oblivion I have read a majority of those I came across (though not the tourist guide variety). Maybe I feel less pressure to get on with questing than when I was younger.

There have been threads on the Boards here in which the callow youths have expressed their amazement after seeing your birth date (I'm older). Perhaps it is the longevity that gives us both the feeling we can pause to read.

15. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i've read a bit of them, but far from all, i keep them in my desk in the high mages room, i like the idea of learning from old dusty tomes

16. nebux Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i really enjoyed "the axe man" in morrowind.
    i've read most books in morrowind, mostly those found in dungeons.

17. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I remember the "Axe Man" It's one of the few that stuck with me.

18. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I mainly just look for skill points but for example the pilgrim path book from morrowind (haven't finished the pilgrim path, does it give you anything?) I kept in my guild house to see when I have time to get to it other than that.. nope. Wait.. There was some sort of riddle book too that one I read from cover to cover ;D

19. nebux Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the pilgrim path gives you the location of 7 pilgrimages places on the map

20. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Duh. But what I mean is is there any reward for going through all those places when you can just ingnore them and follow the main quest. btw have you guys seen this http://youtube.com/watch?v=eH4cb1HrVfY (I hope this is it)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.