1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stealing

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Barmy Army, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, there is the issue of some things turning up missing, and then you strolling right into the store with the very items that turned up missing. ;) But they did take it too far by making everything stolen unsellable.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that you should be able to sell the goods that you steal at any vendor that is not in the town you stole the goods from. That would make good sense to me.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

May be a little off-topic..but on the whole stealing thing...I was randomly wandering in the Colovian Highlands and an Imperial Guard (wearing the armor and everything) was running down a Deer. He shot it and then started walking back to his horse. I went up to the dead deer and took the Venison from it (Restore Health AND Feather?! Yes PLEASE!)...only, he immediately runs to me and says "Stop right there Criminal SCUM!"

I'm like...WTF??

4. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Seems to me that he thinks that you stole "his loot" although he doesn't loot the mob himself...

Basicly, you didn't kill it, but you're taking the loot so... maybe that's counted as stealing too...

I must admit, stealing could have been better implemented in the game...

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thats pretty strange. I know that everytime I come running back to one of the towns with a couple of baddies in tow (cause they would have stabbed the crip out of me if I didn't go running for help), the guard are the ones who kill the bad guys. I always loot the corpses and have never had one of them complain. I even loot the corpses when the guards are standing right over them looking like they are doing the same.

I wonder if maybe you didn't accidently pick a lock or steal something in front of someone earlier, Faraaz and not run into a guard until that moment. Maybe you just didnt realize you had a price on your head.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, if the deer was marked as owned somehow, that could explain it. Were you trespassing on someone's private hunting grounds, maybe?

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    If he had picked up something earler he would have got away with it, so it must be something else. Deer are not owned by anyone, but perhaps it was a game falt. Or perhaps it was just an over possesive guard :lol:

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

No...I didn't have any bounty on me. I'm pretty sure of that...mostly because I was so thrown off I checked! :p

Ah well...the game's messed up... :rolleyes:

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    At some point I accidently picked up a pottery cup. Have no idea when or where. Didn't notice it but I went into a tavern one of those Mystic Cult guys showed up with folks attacking him and all of a sudden one of the guards was arresting ME!

I do think they rather overdid or underdid the stealing. The blasted cup wasn't even worth anything. 0 value.

10. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have recently been expelled from the Mages Guild for stealing...although I have not!

However I was in combat and may have caught my horse in one of my spells.

Damned inconvenient! :(

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Chelsea@: How the hell are stealing and attacking your horse connected?

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To get back in the Mage's guild you need to pay a fine of some kind. Sounds to me as if you may have a glitch of some kind.

In Oblibion frequent saving is essential not just quick save but to different slots. Tis not only the Planes of Oblibion that are dangerous. :eek:

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I'm afraid there's more to it then that.

To be re-admited into the Mages Guild (for stealing) you need to gather 20 Dragons Tounge flowers and 20 Redwort flowers (Dragons Tounge is one of the hardest flowers to find in the game and Redwort are not exactly common either)

If you are expelled for murder you need to find 20 Daedra hearts and 20 portions of vampire dust (the hearts shouldn't be a problem if you haven't completed the main quest. The Vampire dust could be a problem though).

14. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

if you are admittet into the mages guild there is a pretty nifty spell you can make.

charm 100 on touch for 2 sek.
    fortify skill mercantile 100 on self for 2 sek.
    and then fortify atribute 100 on self for 2 sek it is the one that governs speechcraft and the likes.
    cast it on the guard and press block+action soon after, and you will be best pals with the guard.

this also improves you haggle skills and all sorts of other nice things.

15. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Okay this is strange. I was doing the 'grave digger' quest and broken into the guys house to gather evidence. I made sure there were no guards, picked the lock, started stealing, and went into the basement to get the incriminating diary. Went back up stairs and a guard came through the door and arrested me! How the hell did he know I had broken into the house?

16. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

iv'e never had that problem... only played that quest twice though, i think guards have seen me breaking and entering. i though when it was quest related the game didnt mind. oh well...

17. Nakia

Media:
    I've had similar problems which is why I make sure to save before I pick the lock and not save over it until I am sure I am in the clear. IMO the stealing/breaking-n-entering in Oblivion was poorly done.

18. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

imo stealing and breaking is really well done in oblivion
    if done right, nobody will ever detect you

2 things that generally need to be followed:
    1) do it at night, usually after 12pm when people are sleeping and you only have guards on the streets
    2) make sure you are ALWAYS in sneak mode (ethereal cursor), even when you have already broken in
    apparently, guards are able to detect you from the previous area (this comes to no surprise, since some enemies can follow you out of dungeons as well)

19. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi,
    Stealing is poorly done in Oblivion vs. Morrowind.
    I just started Oblivion, and have a game in Morrowind, as well.
    IIRC, in Morrowind, you can steal anything, as long as they don't see you, and sell it to anybody except the guy you stole it from which kind of make senses.
    In Oblivion, it's a if guards can hear you through walls and stuff.

I guess they overdid it to avoid you from stealing ALL THE TIME. For me, they pulled an IDW2 here: to avoid players taking advantage of something they made that thing much more difficult and hectic thus reducing its use (kind of IWD2 with summons and stealtj vs BG2), instead of trusting the players to limit their cheese use ;-)

That said, the game offers quite a few improvements over Morrowind (especially combat and magic), although it seems to be a lot more action and a lot less RPG. I've never played Daggerfall, but I can imagine the same more action less RPGish from Daggerfall to Morrowind?

Oblivion is kind of Dungeon and Dragons meets Doom more than a true CRPG. But it's still very enjoyable, although a different experience from your more traditional old-school CRPG.

Sorry for the off-topic :p

20. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Stealing is lots of fun in Oblivion. I remember stealing lots of things, yes. :)

I remember my life as a rogue in Morrowind though. I once stole bread from a shelve in a temple, and had to run for my life escaping the guards. I had problems making it as an adventurer (thief) in Morrowind. But in Oblivion I played through the game fine, although I had but a mere blade and blunt skill of resp. 30 & 5 near the end. :D

At least stealth actually accomplished something in Oblivion, whereas in Morrowind, it seemed to get me nowhere. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.