1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oblivion - First Impression

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Chandos the Red, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Its 16 square miles...if what they said on the trailers is to be believed.

I think joining the Dark Brotherhood should become a law, they're so damn awesome! Man I can't wait to play tonight when I get back from my guitar lesson, and have my dinner.

I have decided the sneak system is awesome, probably because its done by the guy who helped on Theif, but having to stick to the shadows makes it so much more atmospheric, as well as slightly more realistic. I've also decided to give up on lock picks, I'm just raising my Alteration skill to max and using the unlock spells :p

I experience quite a few slow downs when stuff happens, and especially at the beginning with the assasins but I think its my system just not keeping up:

P4 2.8GHz
    512Mb RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256Mb Graphics Card

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Finally got it, but unfortunately the first impression was this:

"Bleeeeeep!" *Crash* *BSOD* *Reboot*

And none of the tips (disabling certain filters) thus far have worked, forcing me to wait for the first patch. :nolike:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Right - that settles it. I'm definitely not getting this game until it work properly. I hate the way games don't work properly until a year after release. It's as if all the people who paid good money for the game are actually unpaid beta testers.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Wordplay, what are your specs? Have you tried downloading and using the stuff in the links I've provided?

5. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Harbourboy,
    Most of the bugs are from people trying to run Oblivion beyond their PC's means. Oblivion on an FX card? Exploding PC's? Take the "autodetect" settings and if anything, turn the down a bit further. The game is perfectly playable if you have the "recommended" specs. Some people are having legitimate troubles but that's not the norm.

All you are accomplishing by waiting is missing out. This game is simply amazing.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I just became a vampire. :( I didn't notice when it said I first contracted it, so I didn't heal myself in time. So now I need to go running around the world to get the parts for a cure.

I also spontaneously became powerful... It's strange. Before, I was level 7 and unable to kill a troll. Now (level 9) I can kill 3 and barely feel it.

Game still has only crashed once for me, and I've found no other bug, as far as I've noticed.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Abomination

Sure have and a few more besides. (Like THESE.) Didn't work and neither did playing with the options. I'm pretty sure that the error is somewhere in the sound-drivers, but since everything else works just fine I can only assume that Oblivion needs patching.

SPECS:
    -- WinXP, SP2 + some extras.
    -- AMD64 3500+ (Venice).
    -- 2x512 DDR400 RAM.
    -- GeForce 7800 GT.
    -- Audigy 2 ZS.
    -- Abit nForce 4 mobo, Seagate 7200 RPM 160 gig HDD.

Etc tech-whiz stuff... They all work fine with everything else.

8. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

I haven't had any crashes yet. I'm running on an Athlon XP 3200, 1 gig of ram, and a GeForce 6800GS 256mb vid card. Playing on high settings with HDR and it looks amazing.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I had several crashes in the Imperial City. I downloaded the latest reference drivers off the nVidia website and have not had a single crash since. My advice to anyone having crashes: don't use the drivers from the OEM of your video card, but directly from nVidia. It worked for me.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have a socket A with an Amd xp2600, 1,5 gig ram
    radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit, and it runs. ok it is the lowest resolution, and mny other fancy things off and low, but still it looks great and did not crash once. Can there be a difference in the european , asian or american versions?

Does anyone run oblivion with a weaker pc?

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

No crashes at all here, game runs smooth as a baby's skin. :D And i'm well on my way with my level 16 battlemage.

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I chose bad skills :( I chose blade, light armour, conjuration, alchemy, illusion, speechcraft and something else. I've used an illusion spell once and a summoning spell twice, and I've never drunk a potion I made. I use sneak constantly in dungeons, and it's my highest ranked skill, but I neglected to choose it as a major. I also use restoration a lot. I'd start again, but I've done too much. And it's not like I'm not having a load of fun... I'm just level 11 after playing it solidly since friday.

13. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Thank god for SP! I've been visiting the elderscrolls.com forum for a while now and all they do there is whine, whine, and whine.

No crashes for me either.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    2.13 ghz, 1gb of RAM
    Palit Radeon X800
    256 memory size

The games runs great, the graphics are good (no shadows,though) some very crowded areas slows down the performance but nothing I can't live with.

And the loading times are so short!

[ March 29, 2006, 11:24: Message edited by: Elvenblade ]

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Well I bought it, it arrived, I installed it, it fell over :lol: haven't looked at it since :lol:

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I think time for a new graphics card is drawing nearer and nearer...

16. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well... it took long enough for Amazon to get it to me, but all I can say is WOW...WOW....WOW. Absolutely outstanding in every respect....I've never seen graphics like this before -- the emperor's eyes looked REAL. In fact EVERYTHING looks real....absolutely amazing what they've created. And the music....I've been letting the load screen just sit for a few minutes, as that music plays. I've played Morrowind all the way through, so I'm familiar with the so-called "style" -- but I never expected the NPCs to look as lifelike as what I'm seeing. It's everything and then some...from what I was expecting. Runs smoothly too.

:thumb: to Bethesda!

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If the graphics are that good then there's no way that my PC will run it. I'm still blown away by the awesome praise you guys are giving this game, which has come out of nowhere to be everyone's favourite. I'm looking forward to playing it in 2008.

18. Spellbound

HB -- your PC may still be able to handle it. There's different levels of graphics capability that the game can set...high all the way down to low. Even at a low setting, you'll still see most of the effects I think.

I still can't get over the EYES. All the NPC's eyes look real! They move and actually turn and look at something if they're talking about it....they even have different expressions, depending on the dialogue. They look like real eyeballs...lol.

And... I just made it outside of the sewers -- my god -- the countryside! So beautiful....

I've heard it's so addictive and I think that's an understatement...I've been playing for hours and I really don't want to stop -- it's the openness that so intruiging -- a whole world waiting to explore -- we can go anywhere and do anything -- nothing is more appealing. :D

19. Harbourboy

Just looked at what this Elder Oblivion thing sells for here: $99.76! I really have a spare $100 just lying around. I'll have to wait until I can get a cheap one second hand one on Trade Me.

20. Spellbound

$100?? Yikes! You certainly can get it way cheaper than that -- have you checked on any online stores?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.