1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Specs for The Elders Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Morgoth, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    resolution 640x480 framerate outdoor:20 lots of grass 17 Jensine shop: 29 city: 40/20.

text: large
    treefade:1/3, actor fade 1/3 item fade 1/3 object fade 1/3 grass 1/4, view 3/4

Distand land off, building on, trees on. spectacular distance 1/2

Shadows off, water normal, water reflections off, bloom lighting on, window refelection on, blood decals high

anti aliassing off.

AMD ahtlon XP2600 Asus a7n8x pro gold socket a board. video ATI 9800 radeon pro 128mb/256 bit. mem 3x 512mb ddr 400

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Merlanni: I'm assuming you are using a desktop and not a laptop like I am...as such, the performance of desktop cards is MUCH better than the same in laptop cards. From the settings I've seen above, you should be able to get more juice out of your system, especially as you've got more RAM! Maybe your Gfx card RAM is hurting you.

Have you tried tweaking your .ini file? It helps a LOT!

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Try them out. Some of them can crash your game, so try one or two tweaks at a time, and load your game to see if its all stable. And don't forget to make a backup of your original INI file! :D

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes , I have a desktop, and as long as it runs nice, I will not tweak the game. I understand that I can play it with more option on and high, but it is more than good enough for me.

4. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

3ghz
    2 gb ddr2 dual channel ram
    x800 gt 256mb ddr

no probs for me - runs like a kitten :)

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    motherboard: Abit AV8
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    display: RADEON X850 Series 256mb
    Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio

runs with default high setting smoothly.

6. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

[​IMG] Should I bother buying Oblivion for my new laptop?

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M70 notebook
    - 2.26GHz Pentium M 780
    - 2.0GB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM memory, 2 DIMMS
    - 100GB hard disk, 7200 RPM
    - 15.4" WUXGA TFT display, Wide screen format, 1920 x 1200
    - nVidia Quadro FX Go1400 OpenGL graphics card with 256MB video memory

If I can't play with all the distant land, distant etc. options turned on, I'll pass for now. :(

Please, any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Thrasher

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Sir Ai Razor: First of all, you're on a desktop, second of all, you've got double the RAM most folks do who are having problems, thirdly...your card is newer, more powerful etc etc. DUH!! If it DIDNT run like a kitten, thats when you've got problems mate. :heh:

@Thrasher: You can give it a go...but I recommend getting the demo or something first and see how it runs. Because in my experience, this game is VERY finicky and unreliable, and might run well on some computers, but not well at all on some. Technically, your computer SHOULD be able to run it on low - medium.

8. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Pay special attention to the sound card required, i thought all my specs were okay and the game runs smoothly indeed, but the sound is whacked as soon as the combat tune starts :) Yeah stupid me of course, thing is, i still enjoy the game very much, and the sound problem keeps me from getting really addicted.

wish someone could make a patch for this though, '''substitute sounds for losers with an on-board sound card'' or something :D

9. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thrasher:

You might be able to get away with it. Its basically a 6800 Ultra "Go" with 1/2 the memory bandwidth. You've got the onboard RAM, but your pixel pipelines are pretty stripped down too. Hard to say really. Install the F.E.A.R Single Player demo and see how it preforms. Its probably the 2nd most painful game out there to stress your system. Oblivion is of course, the most painful.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I agree with Todd...however, its not entirely reliable to base your expectations of Oblivion's performance on how F.E.A.R runs on your system.

For instance, F.E.A.R runs at a smooth 30 fps on medium-high graphics at 1024x768 on my laptop.

With Oblivion, my laptop has been brought to its knees! :( This sucks, as I won't be able to afford an upgrade to another system atleast till November. Ah well... :(

11. Thrasher91604

Todd and Faraaz -

Thanks! I'll try out the FEAR demo. Is there an Oblivion demo available? I hope so! I couldn't find one. Maybe I can find a copy on the net, somewhere.... :rolleyes:

It's kind of crazy to release a game whose best advertised feature (great graphics) can't even be appreciated without a state of the art system. Geeze, this emphasis on graphics rather than gameplay is really starting to get on my nerves. Hardware and game developer conspiracy theories anyone? Or is it just pandering lowest common denominators? :p

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is no Oblivion demo.

13. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Yup I recommended FEAR since there is no Oblivion demo. There is no Morrowind demo either, so I wouldnt wait around for one. There is no other game besides FEAR that has a demo and will stress your laptop so its only an approximation. Suffice to say though if you have problems with it you can pretty much forget Oblivion.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yep...and you BETTER be able to play FEAR at MAX details, max resolutions at a crystal clear 60 fps + if you want to have any realistic chances of running Oblivion at anything better than 640x480 res, min details...

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

FEAR has more physics, real-time light and shadow calculations than Oblivion, so it requires a bit more, I would guess. Can't know since I upgraded my rig this January. :spin:

16. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

FEAR is much less intensive than Oblivion actually - but its the only game approaching Oblivion's resource usage that has a Demo.

17. Thrasher91604

They stress a GPU differently but I think they are both limited by the number of GPU pixel and vertex shaders that can be operating at the same time. One has all the dynamic lighting and particle effects that require the above. And the other (Oblivion) has simply tons of polygons to display when far distance is maxed.

As far as available demos to do stress tests, F.E.A.R. is probably the hardest test. A friend's AMD 64 3100+ w/ dual 6600 GS SLI could play the F.E.A.R. demo OK at 1024 with almost max effects, but my new lappy is gonna chug.... :o

No Oblivion for me.....

18. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Well have you played Morrowind???

Its a great game too. Frankly Oblivion is not that much different - just far better graphics, melee and spoken dialog. Magic in Morrowind is just as good and the environment (graphically) is very impressive for its age.

Once you get over the different feel of the graphics design Oblivion really starts to feel like the same game. In many ways they dumbed down the quests in Oblivion to a fault for the consolers. Morrowind is a truer "rpg" in many ways.

I could run Morrowind acceptably on my lame laptop - half of your capacity. If you havent tried Morrowind you are definately missing out. I plan to go back to it after Oblivion.

19. Thrasher91604

Todd -

It's on my list! I'm still slogging my way through BG II SoA. Almost done, then ToB. I'm actually not experiencing ADD like I did with BG ;) Got that framerate up, so I actually may finish it without switching. LOL.

I can't decide whether to play the IWDs or Torment. Then there's the non-DnD skillpoint-based RPGs like Morrowind, Fallout, Divine Divinity, Gothic II, Arcanum.... hmmmmm....

20. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Well if you decide on Arcanum let me know. I picked that thing up on a whim last month and loaded it up on my trusty laptop. I can't say I was too impressed. Graphics where pretty bad - its stuck in a lame 800x600 resolution and combat moves so fast its like everyone is on crack. Literally characters run 100MPH across the screen and go psycho with weapons and say wierd stuff. I don't know - I was pretty shocked. I've heard such great things about it though - I'll eventually give it another shot.

I think you need a break from isometric though ;) . Load up Morrowind! You know we are going to get busted for talking about other games again right? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.