1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind tips

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Astin X, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've just started playing Morrowind, and I feel very lost. My main query is how to use the skills that you assign at the beginning as well as increasing the skills. In addition, my experience does not seem to change with monster killing and I have come across some freaky bugs. - Any patches

Where can I get good content for the game; guides, faq, etc?

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Gamespot.com has an excellent and detailed guide to it, which covers just about all aspects of the game -- just use their search ability.

3. Astin X Gems: 6/31

I've tried Gamespot but it takes frustratingly long to get in, and then the search takes even longer.
    Essentially, how do you make potions, repair weapons and use those kinds of skills?
    Anyone know where I can get a basic manual or guide elsewhere? I bought the game 2nd hand, and got nothing more than a slightly scratchy cd.

4. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

First off, morrowind is not an XP based game... you don't collect experience points like in the BG series. To get better at a skill, you have to simply use it. If you have a longblade skill, buy a longblade, and kill some monster.. eventually a little message will pop up in the bottom of the screen, saying something like "your longblade skill has increased to XX". You need to increase your major and minor skills a certain amount of points (IIRC, it's 10 or 15) to gain a level. When you gain a level you get to improve your stats (strength and the like).

Most of the skills are dead simple.. just use them. To use the lockpicking skill, get a lockpick, equip it, and use it on a locked door.

You should definitely download the latest patch from morrowind.com.. it will help you with almost all of the bugs in the game.

5. Astin X Gems: 6/31

Thanks, worked most of that out and downloaded the latest patch previously as well.

6. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Since you are new to Morrowind world i can give you few pointers:

- as idoru allready said, you have to practice skills to get better in them, also you can "buy" training, but it is expensive and as you probably noticed, hard currency is rare... there are some special traders in the game that have lots of money and "regenerate it" every day

- good way to train jump skill is by jumping, obviously, but i found that you can train it faster if you jump from high places, find some high steps and jump from them, if you loose health, just heal yourself

- spellcasting can be easily trained with making few cheap spells

- fightning of every type - well you won't get better by slashing through air but fightning some easy monsters with weak weapons

- to make potions you need alchemy "tools" which can be bought or stolen... but beware, everything you steal is forever hot stuff and you cant sell it in regular shops, ever

- alchemy is really great skill, you can "cast" many spells, heal, restore yourself and later with good "tools" the effects will be long and powerfull (and your potions are relatively light and very expensive - depends on skill), and ingridients are easy to find or bought (btw, the price of the potion doesn't depend on the price of the ingridients)

- if you want to play with sorc, pick attronach, since you will have more mana, and you can restore mana from potions much quicker than from sleeping

- armor skill can be easily trained together with blocking by finding some easy enemy (not diseased pref.) and letting him to hit you (in the start watch your health, but later you wont have trouble with that), notice your armour (if you have any, will deterioate) and you can wear one type of armor learn it faster, or wear all "four" types of armor to slowly train them all (light, medium, heavy, no armor - dodge?)

- hard to train skills are those that higher points improve chance of doing something, like armorer improves chance to succesfully repair something, so you would have to use lot of money, time and broken equip (previous advice would help with this)

- also remember that the best thing about this game is freedom to do wathever you like (almost) and use it to develop your unique way of playing

I have trained a lot and never finished main quest, the game was really easy to me, since i have ovepowered myself (but i heard about people that maxed out almost every skill...). I played battlemage to feel most of the fightning aspects (spells and melee)

By creating your own character you can choose between (middle is best):
    Fast advancing (leveling) char with lots of fast trainable skills as primary and secondary skills.
    Slower advancing char with hard to train skills as prim. and second. skills but he can master them faster than other since he has better points in the start.

Good luck and sorry for the spelling and typing errors!

7. Astin X Gems: 6/31

How do you steal from someone, and what do I need for Alchemy, worked out armourer and and most of the other skills.

Thanks for the info, it is very descriptive and is much appreciated.

8. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

To steal (pickpocket), enter stealth mode (I believe the default is ctrl), and then 'use' them as if you would talk to them. Not all items the person carries is shown allways.
    To steal something that just lie there, simple pick it up when noone notices.
    About the alchemy, Im wondering too, I mean there are 4 types of alchemy tools but witch sould I use?

[ March 30, 2003, 21:28: Message edited by: Bluerose ]

9. idoru Gems: 11/31

To use alchemy, simply "equip" an alchemy tool.. ie, a calcinator or something similar.. drag and drop on top of your character. This will bring up the alchemy dialogue, where you can decide what equipment to use (better equipment means more powerful potions).. and you can choose which ingredients to use for your potion. You need at least two. Each ingredient (kwama egg, ash yam, willowflower, and so on) has up to 5 different effects.. such as "remove fatigue", "fortify health", "drain magicka".. No ingredient has all positive effects, but the negative effects (such a drain magicka) won't show up in the potion, unless you combine two different ingredients with that effect.

So the trick is finding two or more different ingredients that both have the desired effect (restore health, for instance), but don't have any negative effects in common.

In the beginning most of your potions will fail, so before starting, make sure you have A LOT of ingredients.

10. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If your a thief class, then you won't need this until some time later in the game when you start stealing BIG stuff.
    I would advise you to download a specific patch, that gets rid of the limits on selling items. Though I'm not sure where you can get it from, try the official site.
    With this patch, it will allow you to sell very expensive items for high prices with traders that you like. This will help a lot in raiseing cash. ;)

11. idoru Gems: 11/31

That will ruin game balance, since it makes you incredibly rich... which means you can afford to enchant your items with insanely overpowered spells.

12. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

But you could also go to the guy in Caldera wich has 5000 gold.You will sell him some stuff,thats a little expensive,and if you bring him now the real expensive stuff you can exchange it for the not so expensive ones.Later you sell him the not so expensive ones back.It takes a little time but you get very much money :) .

13. Astin X Gems: 6/31

I'm now struggling with my sneak skill, I can't get it to go up without paying for training. Does it increase just by sneaking, or actually picking pockets, and attacking while sneaking?

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It goes up when you successfully sneak. That means somebody has to be present while you're sneaking. If you go sneaking out in the middle of nowhere with nobody around, you do not improve.

15. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I somewhere red that,if you stand behind a person that never turns around and put a stone on your sneak key and wait a little (something like the whole night ;) )you can improve your sneak skill very easy :D

16. idoru Gems: 11/31

that seems like a waste of time, when you can just cheat and set it to 100. You enter the cheats in the console, they're all over the net, if you just do a simple search.

17. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Maybe in some ways getting the mercahnt patch could be cheating, but sometimes you'll end up picking up an item, and you won't be able to sell it, because none of the merchants have enough cash to buy it.

And I find that I use up all of my cash VERY quickly, by paying for training in skills that are had to raise manually.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.