1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Segment 3 - Question of the week

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

(ya, ya. Last question before the secret is out :)

Last Friday some of us discussed what visual changes you wanted to see in an RPG, this weeks
    segment will discuss the game world and how it will be created.

Now without going into too much detail, this question is targeted towards vetrans of the Forgotten
    Realms world, as this is where it will be taking place. For those of you who have played the Gold
    Box series, please keep in mind that recreating places that have already been done in a previous
    AD&D FR game is not an interest of doing again. So when you're picking your locations that you'd
    like to see available in the game, make sure it's never been done.

What I do know is that each created race will start in their respected racial location. Humans
    will start in a human settlement, dwarves in a dwarven hall beneath the earth, etc for all races.
    This will be detailed in a later segment with character creation and starting locations.

So pick your favorite place, even more than one. A vastly populated human city or an elven city in
    the trees. Perhaps ancient orcish tunnels are now a large dwarven settlement? Whatever comes to you,
    let me know. If you're not familiar with FR, that's alright. Let your own imagination do the thinking
    and your fingers do the walking.

Syl...

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Unfortunately, I am old school D&D...I grew up with, and played in Greyhawk...So most of what I know about FR, I've learned from playing BG/IWD/BG2.

But some of the places that NPC's allude to in the game sound interesting: Waterdeep, the Dalelands, Rashaman (anyplace that can boast the birthplace of Minsc is a place I want to see!), Moonsea (sp?), Halruaa, etc...Would be cool to see.

By the way...Does Wizards of the Coast plan to do anything similar to BG with the Greyhawk world? I've never heard anything...But that would be a good time as well.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, now I get it what you're all about Syl. Doh.
    Won't spoil it for the rest though. ;)

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Actually, that's not it :)

What I'm posting about is something totally different and the more replies, the better.

Syl...

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Love the scenery in Icewind Dale.

6. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Man, did I ever miss some stuff when I was out of town, now I'm gonna have to go back through the posts to figure out what's going on :)

7. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Something i did miss in FR games, is the books tended to use the dwarven caves alot, if the DM followed the book quests, But for a game if you were going for a 3d look it wouldnt work, because all the dwarven caves i remember were huge, But i have to say they were the coolest places to be. for some reason few games use dwarven caves anymore. Awww well

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Favourite place in the realms would be the underdark for me. Mainly because of all the interesting times i've always had down there in pen and paper roleplaying. Above ground the elven cities in the woods i always use in my campaigns are possibly the most interesting place. All the other things you can put in the surrounding areas, including caves leading deep underground hehehe, are useful for initiating adventures.

9. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

One place that I used to love adventuring in and I can't find it anywhere anymore is The Temple of Elemental Evil.... maybe I'm just getting old. I know it's not exactly a city or anything but why not?

10. Atraikius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would like to see something in the Dragon Coast area (?) (southern coast opposite Sembia), Sembia, or Mulhorand/Thay.

11. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

I haven't played the Gold Box so I'm not exactly sure what came with them. But I've read quite a few FR books and some places that come to mind are the Moonshea Isles, before I read the series I had never heard of it before. The other place is the Jungles of Chult, I'm not sure if something has been done with it or not but I think it has a lot of possibilities, especially with the background effects :) but also because there's different creatures there than what we're used to and it would give a nice little break.

One I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to see done is Netheril. You know, ancient city of wonderfully powerful stuff. There's a boxed set out about the city but I'm almost positive it's not in any CRPG. Well, that's all I can think of right now.

12. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Syl, I think I know what you're up to seeing that there's another Syl Moonbow on another site. I won't give away your lil plan ;)

A friend of mine directed me to that site earlier today. Sorry for the vagarity folks, I don't wanna blow the suprise!

Syl, need any help?

Jason
    [This message has been edited by Jayshaw91 (edited November 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jayshaw91 (edited November 07, 2000).]

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

What?! I'm the only Sylvus Moonbow, unless of course someone is using my name and signing off exactly as me too. I'd like to know this place you speak of, so I may direct my warrior skills right up to his or hers face!

;)

Syl...

14. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

I'd love to see some adventures in Kara-Tur or the "South/Central/Latin American-esque" settings. Maybe a powerful Wu-jen working under a daimyo casts a spell to summon aid against another warring daimyo. Your party gets brought to the daimyo by the spell. Then your group can explore different paths as the plot twists. Maybe the ones seeking aid aren't the friendliest of fellows.

Oh and Calimsham. Definitely would want to have a desert/caravan like campaign. Traditional "high" fantasy settings are always fun, but the more exotic locales make for memorable adventures.

15. The Kurgan Gems: 3/31

I'm sorry i haven't read many FR Books, but i love those people on here who think they are figuring out what ur doing.
    <<Has no Clue hah ;)

we need Dragonlance people on this forum!!!

The Kurgan

16. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

Does ALFA ring a bell, Syl? If not, well... there's a copy cat out there!

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Oh. Yeah, that's another project I'm hooked up with. Phew. I thought someone was using my name elsewhere. Thanks for replying so quickly, I was searching all over for the imposter ;)

And on another note, I love Calimshan, Calimport is my favorite city (as it Skullport under Waterdeep).

My favorite Nation is Thay and the one I dislike the most is Cormyr.

I am enticed by the Moonshae Isle because of its richness and is one of the places I'm looking forward to DMing if I ever get the chance.

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited November 07, 2000).]

18. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

Ok, glad you got that cleared up. Now I'm interested in this other project you're involved in OTHER than ALFA!

19. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

I remember the Moonshae books. Fun storyline and the author was not afraid to kill off some of the main characters. Nothing bugs me more in a fantasy book or a gaming session when the main characters are protected by an insurmountable amount of luck. When the Calishite character lost his foot to the displacer beast, I remember thinking, "Uh, how's he going to get out of this one." Answer: He didn't. That and the bearded female dwarves hamstringing the giants are cool Moonshae moments.

20. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I cant beleive it! so many posts and its up to poor little ME to mention evermeet, land of the elves!!! am i the only one that has read Elaine Cunninghams books?

i would also love to visit waterdeep, luskan, Calimshan, and the Edificient Library...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.