1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need recommendation for a car racing game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Sep 2, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you can honestly recommend Toca Race Driver 2 or Colin Mc Rae Rally 2005, that would be great, since they're at $7 price on a local promo.

If not... well, Need for Speed series games, below Carbon, are on promo too, so that while they cost about $15 each, you buy one and get one for free (symbolic price).

It's not like I wouldn't pay more, but since my computer is hardly a C2D with GF8, I don't think there's any sense getting the newest games. ;)

As for my specs, it's PIV 2.6c, 1 GB RAM DDR400, GF 7600GT. I don't play at more than 1024 * 768 because my monitor won't give me any decent refresh rate anyway, so this is the resulotion where it has to be smooth with all details on (preferably). And I might want to buy a joystick or a wheel if I like the game because car racing used to be the type of game where I had the most skill. I generally pwned everyone on LAN in NFS2 SE. ;)

Now, I don't fancy all the tuning and crap. I don't like missions, either. I want to drive and to race. And I don't fancy cops being my enemies. In fact, I don't mind racing through Rome or Paris at night, which is obviously not so very legal, but I just don't like the criminal theme of the newest NFS games. It's just something that makes me uncomfortable and I want the game for comfort, unwinding after work and such. ;)

So, got any recommendations for me? ;)

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Are you looking for a simulation or arcade game?

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Trackmania United!!!!!
    Its a pretty crazy arcade style racer with loopty loops, half pipes, corkscrews etc. There's a few hundred tracks in 7 environments and it actively compares times online in game (do it for your country). Trackmania Sunrise, and Trackmania Original are also good picks (though United is definitely the best). Its got very nice graphics, but should run very smoothly on your comp with everything maxed out. It was released at 1/2 normal price at the beginning of the year (in shops) and is now available for $29USD on steam.
    Give it a try - its fun as.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Whatever! Just so I can race without worrying about upgrading the car, tuning and whatnot. I'm not normally campaign-minded and I prefer to have everything unlocked from the beginning.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The last racing game I played was Colin McRae 2. If 2005 is at least as good as the old one was, then I definitely recommend it, especially for such a low price.

6. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The only Need for Speed game I played was pretty good. I think the only thing I had to unlock in that was newer/better cars (or you had to in one of the game modes but all of the cars were available in a different game mode...). I've only heard good things about the newer Need for Speed games; have you looked at the game reviews on amazon? GTR 2 is supposed to be rather splendid, as well, but I don't know if it has the tuning and equipment stuff that you say you don't want.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Trackmania United has all the cars unlocked from the start (there's only 1/2 a dozen or so) although to unlock a new tears of races (ie Medium) you need to complete all the races in the previous tear (ie Easy). There are 7 environments and 3 race types, so you're never going to get to a dead end by not being able to win at one particular race. Aditionally there is a 'get a challenge' button on each tear of races (ie easy island) to download top rated user created races. Also there's no tuning/upgrading.

8. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Richard Burns Rally, released in 2004. Still the best and most realistic racing simulator for the PC. You will need a wheel for this one though.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Carmaggedon 2

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you don't have NFS: Underground 2 or NFS:Hot Pursuit I would pick up one of those games over Carbon. Carbon is a waste of money.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yeah, Hot Pursuit is great, even better than HP2, Underground series might require some tweaking (meaning you have to buy upgrades and you don't get those upgrades right away :p ) So, any "cheap" NFS game will be better because from Underground, you have to break your way tru upgrades, meaning you start with a slow car without any upgrade. TOCA series are the best simulators around, but those require some mechanics knowledge later on. Rally games are that... rally games, so you have to know about tires and surfaces... Now, if you like F1, try F1 Challenge, it's an old game for instance should be very cheap, but there are mods which update the game to 07 season, and you don't have to be a super mechanic geek because every track comes with its own setup file so you just go out and drive.
    GTRs games (basically SimBin racing games) requires some setups knowledge if you don't want to set IA cars to race at 70% thus being like racing alone because IA becomes too darng slow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.