1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SimCity Societies HooHaw

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Nakia, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] On the only other Board I'm active in there is a lot of argument over the new SimCity game being developed by TiltedMill. I was wondering if anyone here knew about it, cared about it or had any opinions about it.

I didn't care for the early SimCities and only played a few briefly.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love SimCity 4, so I'll be looking for this one. I've been wondering when they'd make the jump to 3D. Though I'm skeptical about framerates, it looks like a cool concept.

That said, I don't know anything about TiltedMill. Do they have an iffy reputation or something? And why?

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good question, Death Rabbit. Tilted Mill is a fairly young company but many of the original staff were involved in developing city building games. Caesar I, II & III. Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Zeus, Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

The company itself has developed two games which where published by Sierra; Children of the Nile and Caesar IV. Both games are resource hogs. I happen to love them especially CotN which is a society builder.

I have never played SimCity 4 simply because I tried some of the earlier games and didn't like them. Not my cuppa at all.

There is a big and sometimes rude argument going on in the TM SCS forums in which I got involved to some extent.

Why EA choose TM rather than Maxis(?) to do the next game in the SC franchise I have no clue but guess they must have decided it was time to branch out and bring a new look to the series.

I like TM. Staff members respond to posts by members and I even got a PM from one thanking me for some positive things I posted. Some (a few) of the hardcore SC fans are giving them a rough time. Things seem to have settled down a bit in the last few days.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Perhaps Tilted Mill simply does the job for less money?

I'm not sure what to think of this, i love the SimCity series, been playing them since the early days of 16 bit Nintendo, up until today, and Maxis have always done a perfect job, the conservative in me really hates this development.

On the other hand....i play both Children of the Nile and Caesar 4, and i can't find anything to complain about regarding those two games, so they might be able to pull this one off as well. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

5. Nakia

Media:
    Hi, Pac man, right now it is a guessing game. At the moment the big issues are the roads. I'm hoping that the final product will have better roads. I believe the release date is set for November.

If I understand correctly Maxis is owned by or at least affiliated with EA so I don't know about the money angle. Many of the staff of TM were with Impressions and have quite a bit of experience with CBs and other types of games.

True and no matter what happens some people will be disappointed. But that is life.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Indeed, Maxis is owned by EA. I think Maxis simply does not have enough time to develop another Sim City game right now as they are quite busy with Spore and also The Sims 3.

As for the actual game, I have some very mixed feelings on it. Because even though Caesar and the rest are good games, they are not the same as Sim City. Tilted Mill is bringing some ideas and changes to Sim City from there and I do not like them mixed into Sim City. It could be a decent game though, but it is not a "true" Sim City.

The game is considered non-canon and a spin-off anyway, so it is not a "real" Sim City. Tilted Mill has also said that they are not making a city-building simulator.

7. Nakia

Media:
    I was wondering if that might be the case.

CotN is different from Caesar IV so at this time it is anyone guess what SC:Societies will be like. According to the TM staff they can't spill much beans. It is up to EA to decide what gets leaked. We have a few unsatisfactory screenshots. There are 350 different buildings.

Of course my biggest complaint is that it is MODERN, not ancient or futuristic. So who ever said life or gaming was fair?

Now if I only had a good crpg to look forward to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.