1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: TCG: Magic The Gathering

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lycrius, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So the psp poll went how it went almost no one were going to buy psp or thought that the price was too high. So what about this. (I'll try to make better options for this) Magic The Gathering trading card game and do you play it, why or why not is it the general genre of TCGs or just this particular one. Also if someone actually play this game I'd like to know what's your favorite card in the collection.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: TCG: Magic The Gathering (17 votes.)

TCG: Magic The Gathering (Choose 1)
    * Yes I play. - 59% (10)
    * No I don't play TGCs. - 29% (5)
    * Yes with someone elses cards. - 0% (0)
    * No I just collect them. - 6% (1)
    * I play other TCGs. - 6% (1)

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Magic: The Gathering is possably the most sucessfull trading card game ever created, haveing been around for over 10 years. Do I collect the cards? You bet! Do I play with them? How could I not!

I have a deck made entirly of White and one of Green

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've actually played a whole bunch of tcgs or ccgs, depending on publisher. I started with Magic, went over Star Wars (the original Decipher one), Star Trek and Lord of the Rings to end again at Magic. I also tried a whole slew of smaller ones where I never invested more than the first buying of cards.

I came back to magic since it's still one of the richest. The way each color has its own feel while still being able to combine easily multiple colors allows for vast amounts of creativity. Also the power level of the new sets that come out is very stable, something I missed with the Decipher games, where the power level kept rising to surpass the cards from the previous sets, which led to some very bad power level escalation.

There is also no other tcg that I know of that offers such a balanced limited environment next to the constructed one.

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I stopped actively playing and collecting a bit after the Invasion Block came out, not that I have ever been really active anyway. Mostly just playing with some friends. I like the older sets much more than the newer ones anyway (<3 Ice Age). New Blocks appear too often to my liking too, you have to constantly buy new cards to keep up with Type 2.

I still do play the old PC game by MicroProse though :D. Maybe that official online MtG would be worth to check out at some point.

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Selesnya ftw. Nuff said :p

6. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you mean the MgT online don't bother. Or if you're ready to spend the same ammount of money in virtual cards that you would use on real.. go ahead. I actually bought the newest started edition just to get the "free" account with it but never really got the vibes to start buying virtual cards for online play. However the online games work fine (if you have decent deck with you (got pounded by Boros Legion vs. those starter cards).

Just started this post since I just bought the.. what is this called.. chacking.. Coldsnap Fat Pack (yeah it's old but hey I get my a$$ kicked by a friend of mine with cards like 10 years old =D ). The favorite deck.. or the deck that I use consists of Red/White boros legion cards (double lands whipe some serious butt) spiced with Orthog (or something, I don't bother to check) black/white. I have always loved the combination cards and after the release of Ravnica: City of Guilds I started playing again (had a pause of like 2 to 3 years).

Only thing sad about MtG is the speed they keep releasing those new blocks but thats what brings money to Wizards treasury, right.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Played this game for 8 years, but my friends who used to play with me grew out of it... shame, because it's a wicked fun game.

I also play Star Wars (original Decipher), but with looser rules... I don't wanna go through the whole process of making Luke into a Jedi - I just wanna slap down Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, and destroy anyone who isn't Vader.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have played on and off since 1995. By times I get a group of people to play with, but they either move away or give up on the game or whatever. That's the drawback of being in a small town.

Once I get the feel of the game and the current cards out there, I win more than I lose. While I'm getting that feel, it's not pretty.

I agree with the assessment of Selesnya. I went in a small time tourney and went 6-1 in a round robin with a standard legal (at the time) Selesnya deck when the tournament was Legacy...

I also have an extended legal (maybe not for long) Goblin deck that has only once lost a two of three, and that was partially my fault (critical mistake that cost me the first game).

9. Saber

I don't like any of the new series, though. I bought a box of Mirrodin, but after that, no more cards were purchased.

Hey, if any of you have AIM and integrity, I'll play someone...

But my decks aren't type 1, 1.5, or 2 legal... they're just fun decks to play with. I mean, I don't exceed the 4 card limit, but I have cards from all over the place in them.

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I bought a deck of Magic cards to see what the fuss was about, but didn't continue with card collecting. I did however play the Win95 Magic game, and had lots of fun building themed decks. There's no way I would buy all those cards in real life though. But I would like to play it again on computer (freeware?) for a different set of cards.

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Used to play. But its an expensive hobby. Guess that and the fact that I don't have anyone to play with was the reason I stopped.

I have a few decks still (cards are too old, with a few restricted cards in the mix).

And I've noticed the huge jump in card power about the time I stopped playing. The cards are so ridiculously overpowered these days, my decks (that used to be considerable powerhouses) probably won't stand a chance against them.

12. Daie d'Malkin

I dunno, really, it seems to me that the older cards are far more powerful than the newer ones.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    New abilities have been added and some old ones changed or removed alltogether.

Which meens that some old cards would have no effect whatsoever.

14. Faye

Media:
    I think all the cards in my deck have abilities that still work in the current rules.

But have you seen some of the new cards? Especially the legends. Its so powerful its obscene, lol!

15. Daie d'Malkin

Then again, older cards give you Infinite Life, Mana etc, when used right.

Faye, can you get Magic cards in Malaysia? I haven't found any

16. Faye

Media:
    Well, thats true. But its usually a very complex combo of cards that is easily disrupted. Not to mention, the WOTC clamp down hard and fast on these abuses and most of these combos don't work anymore. Those that still do are just too difficult or involves too many cards and there are much easier ways to win.

Yeah, you can usually get them in gaming shops in the major shopping malls. Its not common, but they are around. But then again, I live in Kuala Lumpur, so it would definitely easier for me to find them. I don't really know about the other cities though.

17. Daie d'Malkin

I tried looking in Miri, but didn;t see any. Oh well, I'll get them back in the UK.

Most of the combos still work in Legacy et al.

18. Faye

Media:
    Well, not too surprising. I guess you'd probably only be able to find such shops in the major cities.

Do they? Perhaps the combos you meant are not considered to be abuses by WOTC or are just too much trouble for players to set up. I'm pretty sure WOTC would always make an erratum everytime a gamebreaking combo turns up. I don't really follow the new sets, so it is possible they have pretty nasty combos as well.

19. Saber

20. Faye

Media:
    Lol, I think there is the problem of logistics. Not to mention, judging from the amount of people who voted it seems not many SPers play (or played) MTG.

Ouch, those are pretty nasty combos. And seem considerably easy to pull off to me. But it can't be possible that there aren't any combos that consists of the newer sets, can it?

I stopped at about Mercadian Masques, but I'd consider anything past the Urza's Saga block to be new sets. I started playing during the Ice Age block. I personally think that the cards started getting pretty powerful during the Urza's Saga block.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.