1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warhammer, anyone?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Goli Ironhead, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So, any Warhammer (fantasy and 40k) players out here? Myself, I have been playing it for several years (albeit not actively all the time), and I like it. It might be true that it's a bit expensive, but there are indifinitely much worse things I could be using my money to.
    Aside from the gaming and collecting perspective, the fluff (or background) is also very different from your standard scifi or fantasy, most of the time in a good way.

Also, WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Role Play) is quite a nice game.

So, any other gamers out here?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Big fan of WH40k, especially the fluff, and I'm in a PnP group playing the Inquisitor game currently.

I also is in the process of assembling an Imperial Guard army, but I got a few Tau, Space Marines, and Chaos units laying around and collecting dust.

3. Johi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am playing Warhammer Fantasy, Skaven 4tw!!!
    I also played 40k some years ago, but since I am playing Fantasy I dont like it that much anymore. Nevertheless I must admit, the stories and backgrounds are way more detailed in 40k than in Fantasy.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'm a 40K fan. Never got into Fantasy, although some of it appeals to me. I have barely enough time and opportunity to play one game system, let alone two.

Got a rather large Biel-tan eldar army, along with many Ultramarines (my first army). I'm considering a Slaanesh army, but I'm going to wait until the new codex is released later this year.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Blood Bowl here. Although I have not bought any new minis for years now, since I am protesting against GWs constant price raising. Not that I would need any new ones since I have quite a lot of them anyway, nor am I playing that actively anymore. The focus is more on the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay these days if anything.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Blood Bowl fan here, although I played 40k (orks) maybe a good 10 years ago.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    A bit expensive?

I like it, but I like my money more, so I content myself with stuff like Dawn of War.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yeah I agree with Amaster. Not sure about charging $100NZD for a large box containing dice, plastic, and cardboard sheets. And don't get me started about how the lead figurines cost more than the original starter pack.

9. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Resently started to gather my Necron army for 40k. Fell love with the video games, (Warhammer: Dark Omen no matter how old it is.) currently playing W40k DoA: Dark Crusade (already cleared with 3 races :D )

10. Magick_Beckons Gems: 1/31

I, as recently as last year, found Warhammer Fantasy and i think it's great. I am currently collecting a High Elven Army and have started on a small Vampire Counts Army. Its expensive, but worth it methinks.

11. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I once upon played a Bretonian army for Warhammer Fantasy. The least intellectually involved army in the game. See enemy, charge enemy with knights. Rise repeat.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Much like Khorne used to be in 40K. No matter what the question was, the answer was charge.

A quote from myself last year:
    I've had the updated codex for a while now and have come to the conclusion that a Slaanesh army will not be for quite some time, unless 5th Edition changes quite a lot when it is released in a month or so. I was not overly impressed with the codex, unfortunately.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It is quite good, I gotta say. I cleared it twice - Tau and Eldar - and thought about doing a Chaos or Ork, but my Windows did a nasty turn on me.

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I used to play 40k a lot a few years ago with a reasonably large Space Marine army. I could never decide which Chapter I wanted to play though, so my army went through a few repaints :D

Did anyone play the LoTR game GW brought out? That was great fun as I remember.

15. Sweetchild'o'mine Gems: 1/31

WH40K was a cool a cool game.. I was like addicted to it..
    I hope WHO will give the same taste as WH40k

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I had a go or two. Seemed like it could be an alright system, but it never really caught on.

Unfortunately for GW. From what I heard and read, after the LotR-interest surge at the time of the movies, the LotR sales dropped to the point of losing money overall. And then for reasons known only to themselves, GW renewed their license with the Tolkien group. :rolleyes:

:skeptic:
    Was a cool game? Still is, IMO.

17. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I want to play Warhammer again :( I miss it now.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] A question...

in Warhammer (Fantasy) how many constitute a rank? :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's four or more, someone else is saying five or more and they're rarely ever wrong. So if someone could explain why so many examples and packs are sold with four to a rank I'd appreciate it a lot.:nolike:

[Edit]
    Found the answer on page 73. It's rare this guy is wrong but for once I'm glad he is. A rank is four or more models, so that's good. Otherwise several army plans are scuppered right away.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  19. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, a rank can be four, but to get the bonus it has to be five. It was changed in this edition, so if you're reading the older edition book, it still says it's four to get the bonus. Kinda sucks, eh?

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] oh, great :rolleyes:

They better make things available in packs of five divisible then, or I'll really be unamused :almostmad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.