1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword expansion

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, May 4, 2007.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, sounds interesting although no doubt it will result in utter confusion for me as I already get the rules mixed up between vanilla and the Warlords expansion.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Ten new Civs, bringing that total to 34...

16 more leaders bringing that total to 52...

12 more scenarios...

Maybe much of my life will be on hold by the end of July...

4. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

No mention of more technologies, unfortunatly. It'd be nice if they expanded on the whole future tech thing. More 21st combat options would certainly add some fun to the usually drawn out end game.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The end game isn't usually that drawn out, unless you're going for something like a Time victory. Unless you play a modern start, 21st century combat options seldom come into play.

If you play on low levels you win before 21st century.

If you play on high levels, the AI wins before 21st century, or if you win, it has to be before the 21st century.

Civ: CTP had advanced 21st century techs and they were all stupid.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Corporations sound cool. Very cool, actually.

I really need to get Civ IV.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It was announced a little while ago but I agree the game will rock hard! I really like the idea of corporation that behave like religion! Beware the mighty SPAM corp, ltd.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Bloody hell. Civ games are digital crack. The baby is coming in August - that's not enough time to master this expansion. Argh!

9. Harbourboy

Civ IV rocks. Having a baby is a great time to play Civ. You can volunteer to get up to help the baby go back to sleep when really you're just rocking him with one hand and sending axemen to pillage the Romans with the other! You will discover all this extra time for playing Civ IV that you previously thought had to be spent sleeping.

I haven't stopped playing Civ IV since I got it for Christmas. I am now playing on Monarch level regularly, although I did manage to win a Deity game last week!

10. Ofelix

Media:
    HB how do you manage the more aggresive AI on higher level? I'm still at fairly low levels, Noble and down.

11. Harbourboy

Ofelix, the great thing about Civ IV is that there are so many different strategies you can employ.

There are two main things that keep me alive on Monarch level:
    - singlemindedness. I always focus on just one objective because I find that if you try and beat the AI at everything, you will lose. So, focus on getting Liberalism first, or focus on controlling a religion, or focus on Cultural victory, or focus on all military techs etc
    - tech trading. The AI researches so quickly that if you plan your science strategically, you can research the one thing they don't have and sell it to them for the 10 techs you missed out on. If you pay attention, it is easy to keep up with them.

On Deity, I find that you need to have really contrived situations. I won with an Incan Quecha rush on a Duel map with high sea levels. Deity AI researches so quickly that they have archers instantly, which is perfect because Incans get the anti-archer Quecha instantlly as well. Use Quechas to steal workers and pillage AI land and to kill any settlers that try and escape. On the microscopic map there is nowhere for the AI to go.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I.e: the AI can now draw even more resources from nowhere. :rolleyes:

But otherwise it sounds good. Doesn't beat Alpha Centauri, but still good. Would like to try it online someday, but just not sure if it's worth it if everyone just rushes for war and the regular conquer-everything-in-10-years strat.

13. Harbourboy

It will be nice if the AI aimed for something OTHER than Space Race every time.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have officially pre-ordered the game from my local EB games (albeit half to 3/4 of an hour drive away), and expect to be throwing hay the day it arrives...

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Wow this will be the first official Civilization game that finally features the Dutch. People tend to forget that we played a huge part in this world a few hundred years ago (East India trading Co). There will probably be a new starting bonus concerning sea-faring and an appropriate unique unit.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am pretty sure I have played some Civ featuring the Dutch, dont remember which one but I am sure I have.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The only one I played was Call to Power II which is not an official Civ game.

18. Harbourboy

Call to Power was pretty lame. Civ IV is as addictive as Civ II was.

19. Ofelix

Media:
    Thanks for the tips. But as I play solely (yet) in the lower levels, I tend to out-tech my rivals in almost every situation, civil, military, religion, and culture. Yeah maybe I overdo things when I wish to be an Universal Empire i.e be good at everything. Militarism tend to become boring IMO after gunpowder though, my most fun were the cultural and space race victories. It's a great idea to capitalise on something else than military. I LOVED Warlords mind you, but I'm not much of a strategist and for me, military campaing become boring very quickly. I keep that in mind, HB, ''Singlemindness'' for my next Noble game (the highest level I'll try so far).

Can't wait for the expansion!

20. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Civ 3 had the Dutch in the expansion.

I wish that my machine could run Civ 4. It looks really cool.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.