1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spellcross [PC]

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Thor, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one in the entire world who have discovered this veritable pearl of a game? I just got my hands on a comp with win 98 on, so I can once again play my old DOS classics.

Several years ago, I found it at a store back home that practically gave away lots of stuff due to water-damage related. The game case, being wrapped in plastic and such had suffered a few minor damages, so I decided to buy it, at unless my memory fails me, roughly 3USD.

I came home, installed without problems, and instantly fell in love.

From Wikipedia:

The graphics are rough, but the game is old after all. Also, it's bloody HARD. I haven't beat it yet, and I can't even imagine how I could beat anything in the later levels without resorting to cheats. The hordes of undead, demons, orcs, wizards, dragons, harpies, demonic war-machines, golems, you have to face on each map with your marines, rangers, tanks and hummers (of which you can eventually upgrade into Hover-soldiers, Elmag-tanks, Lazer-troopers, paranormal-infantry and all kinds of cool hi-tech units) are extremely overwhelming.

Even more, you have to remain prepared that your demonic adversary will try to reclaim maps you've conquered with even more cannon-fodder. So you have to actually plan which units to send into enemy territory, while leaving sufficient troops stationary, to be capable of holding a defense in newly aquired land. It's sort of like a very advanced game of risk.

While the wiki-description may make it sound much like any other strategy game, involving research, strategy (d'uh), economy, etc. it is VERY different. I'm not even sure how I can explain it in an understandable way.

Only thing I would do, is implore you to download it and see for yourself, as I can hardly imagine finding this in online stores anymore. I haven't tried searching, but given the non-existant marketing behind, aswell as the producer being a unheard of Slovakian company, I wouldn't be surprised if they have dissolved completely.

[edit: Slovakian! Not Polish :rolleyes: ]

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've never heard of it. It's probably just not in the US though so thats not surprising.

3. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ye gods, that sounds like the most awesome idea EVER.
    Looking for it now.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This game gets very difficult very quickly. All I can say is, range is your friend.

5. Thor Gems: 10/31

Friend?

Only hope, more like it. Accompanied by patience, and lots of it! :p

I'm amazed though! I was half expecting not to hear more in this topic, even less expecting to find another person that has played it!

Share with us your experiences will'ya? I wanna toss around some long overdue marketing for it, as it IMHO deserves it far more than many other newer games! :grin:

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Haven't played it for a long while. I think I got up to the bit where you fight dragons. Then it got a bit overwhelming.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I Don't have it. I had never heard of it, and I love the idear. I was a gigantic fan of Arcanum though (still am :D ) and this sounds like something I would enjoy. Do you get to play as other teams or are you just the techno humens?

8. Thor Gems: 10/31

As far as I know, you play just the humans. I haven't beat the game, so I can't say it with 100% confidence, but I've gotten far enough to say that I can safely assume that you will never play the enemy.

Your army gets "spiced up" with a battalion of renegade orcs at a few maps, but that's all I can recall from my last playthrough. There's no multiplayer mode either, so unless there's a change late game, I hardly think you'll be the extra-dimensionals laddies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.