1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Grim Fandango

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Shoshino, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I'd like to make a thread dedicated to a game which i think never got enough credit, Grim fandango has to be the most enjoyable game ive ever played, the story, the quotes, characters, environoments and music make this game top of the list of classic games anyone could hunt for.

to play it is to love it

[ June 13, 2006, 00:34: Message edited by: Shoshino ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    IMO, Grim Fandango is one of the best, if not the best, adventure games produced by Lucasarts.
    The atmosphere is so unique and thought out, taking the best elements from an, 30's Film noir and the Mexican Religion. The humor is also almost unmatched, the joke when you just arrive in the second city, briljant :D
    This game is definitely in my top 5 list.

3. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I agree, Grim Fandango is utterly fantastic. The only thing I didn't like was the ending - I wish there wasn't one.

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Grim Fandango is one of the good LucasArts adventures. However, IMO it cannot even compete with the early '90's Lucasfilm/LucasArts adventure games, which are simply brilliant.

Too bad LucasArts does not make these games anymore...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I loved the game. The atmosphere, the dark humour... and being able to enjoying it full screen without menus of any kind also helped to the feeling of being watching a movie, rather than playing a game.

Some of the puzzles were a pain, they forced you to think quite "out of the box", like in Day of the Tentacle. I particularly remember the one about deactivating the bomb under the car in the garage... I was laughing for a good while after I figured it out. :lol:

7. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    yeah, getting glottis drunk took me a while to figure out too

8. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

With bony hands I hold my partner
    On soulless feet we cross the floor

The music stops as if to answer
    An empty knocking at the door

It seems his skin was sweet as mango
    When last I held him to my breast

But now we dance this Grim Fandango
    And will four years before we rest.

I can't remember where I got this poem from. I think someone over at Adventure Gamers told it to me, but I am not sure who. I also can't remember if the poems existed before the game and the game was influenced by it, or if the poem was written in reply to the game. I also have no idea who could be the author. In any case, I always thought it summarises it nicely.

Grim Fandango is really a great game. I am glad I bought it back when I did, despite it being in a DVD case (these days you hardly get any games in cardboard boxes here in Europe. Many are only in DVD cases.).

9. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Jazhara, I *think* that's one of the poems you can hear during game.

10. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It is one the poems in the game, Olivia recites it in year 2 at the Blue Casket (she also recites a few other poems).

I'm pretty sure that it was made for the game though; I haven't seen it anywhere else.

BTW, you can get Glottis to sing the Rusty Anchor song, if you give the slip of paper which says 'Rusty Anchor' on it to him.

11. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31

Ah, that's possible. I probably didn't notice, because I own only the German version, and I couldn't recall any of the poems by Olivia being that nice. Poems are quite hard to translate, so that's no wonder.

:)

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This game seems to be at least as good as the Monkey Island series, or perhaps even better. Too bad I never had the chance to play it. I really want to, no doubt 'bout that.

13. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I adore this game, along with Broken Sword 1&2

14. Stardust Gems: 7/31

Grim Fandango and full trottle are (at least IMHO) the best adventure games ever, and both are developed by lucasarts which tells something about their "golden years".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.