1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

my project for my master's degree

Discussion in 'Playground' started by GabrielNYC, Jan 13, 2006.

1. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I've dropped out of the graphic design career and have decided to enroll myself in New York University's new Digital Game Design program for a master's in Computer Science: Animation to go.

================================
    untitled medieval thief game for the ps2:

[Remainder of the post removed at the request of the poster. -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Sounds cool, Tenchu was a pretty cool game, and this sounds like a mix of the free roaming Morrowind and the stealth of Tenchu :D

One note on the controls. You said the R1 button is grappling hook, one press to aim another to fire, this could cause problems if you accidently press R1 since you would have to fire it to get rid of it, so maybe make it R1 to arm and disarm your grappling hook and then [ ] or X to fire it. just a suggestion.

3. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[snip]

So far my advisor loved the idea. All that's left is to create some mock screenshots and a powerpoint presentation.

He's especially fond of the online versus. This would be perfect. See who is the best assassin and the like.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I assume you've played Thief then?

5. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

Yes of course but I think such a game concept would be better done in 3rd person. It certainly would make it much more immersive and interactive.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well... It seems like you have some good ideas there, but my question is this; is it enough and is it in a clean package? After an eyeful it looks like you have some general lines of the design-level and something in the practical-level, but not much of either.

What I would do next is simple: type one A4 page about the game-idea and what it is exactly. Maybe you should start thinking about weapons and etc sometime after that...?

7. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

Oh no. no no! :) I'm FAR from done. I got 2 years to work on the presentation, 3d modelling, research, powerpoint presentations, mock print ads, mock online ads etc.

1 yr for the presentation/pitch
    1 yr for a quickie demo

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you want an example of a badly implemented camera and grapple system, look at Red Ninja. The movement of the camera is hard to predict. Sometimes it will turn 180 degrees at the slightest movement of your character, other times it seems to stand in front of your character during several meters while she is running. Go figure.

The grappling is handled badly in that you have one button. If you press and keep pressed she aims, when you release, she grapples. This means there is no way to aim without actually throwing the hook.

You are missing an aiming button for locking in on enemies. I suggest R1 as combat aiming and R2 as utility aiming (like the grappling hook). That way you still have L2 for inventory.

A stealth game needs a first-person view, to look around more freely. I suggest you use one of two buttons that is rarely used: R3 (the other being L3). These aren't really buttons. You activate them by pressing down on the analog sticks, which registers as a button press. The right analog stick is R3 and you can guess which one is L3 ;) . I suggest one press to switch between first and third person.

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

sounds alot like the Theif series to me :) very fun. More....realistic combat than Splinter Cell and Tenchu...both of them you seemed...godlike

10. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

Revisions, thoughts etc etc etc...

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

so, any updates on this project? it sounds pretty interesting, would like hear more about your revisions and such

12. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cloak and dagger is by far the best title, IMO. One city would give more of a universal feeling. If fantasy elements are light, nix the magic. I think a more finesse-styled weapon than the handaxe is in order. Perhaps a scimitar, or a kukri? And list thief under your influences, please.
    All is IMO.

13. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

so far it's going well. im learning 3-d animation now and level design. ****, this is all challenging but worth it!

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Ahh that nice...keep up the good work.

15. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Sounds alot like that new Assassins game. :p

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

So did this game ever hit the market or has it been held off for the PS3?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.