1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heroes of Might and Magic V (official)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apeman, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

New E3 Video clips look very good. The first clip shows human town and the second one shows demon town and adventuring.

Adventure map looks good, and all those little details make it better. Towns are big, circular and include high buildings unlike in Heroes 4 (in HoMM4 towns were just enormous, flat blocks).

The new skill system isn't so clear. When a hero gains level, player can choose from two skills and two abilities? What is the difference between them? In demo clip logistics was a skill and pathfinding was an ability. Maybe that is good for balance (in HoMM3 there were just too many useless skills, like Eagle Eye, First Aid and Mysticism)

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's not known yet what the difference between skills and abilities are, nor are many other aspects of the game. In the latest developer's diary it is known that the story will be darker than the previous games. Judging from the adventure view and the combat pics the fairly like creatures are still there. The perfect combination if you ask me, the history of the MM world has been dark ever since MM1.

Looking forward to this game!

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Me too. MM4 kinda sucked, I hope the new game will be more along the lines of MM3, which had the right mix of complexity and simplicity (if that makes sense). MM4 was just confusing and I gave up by the 1st map.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Most longstanding series I've seen seem to follow a pattern: the first one is good, the second one coasts on reputation, the third one has to get it back, the fourth one coasts, etc. So far, Heroes has followed the pattern. HoMM1 was good, 2 sucked, 3 was great, and 4 left something to be desired.

IMO, the only possible way they could screw up 5 would be to rush it into production before it's ready. As long as they take their time, I have every confidence that they will put out a quality product, the likes of which we have not yet seen. :D

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Usually, the second one is the best!

Look at BG 2, IWD 2, Dune 2, Dungeon Keeper 2, Doom 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Warcraft 2, Diablo 2, Flame Dragon 2, Fallout 2, System Shock 2...

:D

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Okay, let's examine what I said:

Most- as in, not all
    series- fairly straightforward meaning :heh:
    I've seen- Contrary to appearances, I am not omniscient. :lol:

And the one I saved for last is the most important one, longstanding. In my admittedly not-so-humble opinion, :D the HoMM series has the potential to go into double digits and beyond, unlike the series you have named. The series that just keep getting better have a tendency to burn out before they even hit five. Usually, they go something like this: 1 is good, 2 is great, 3 is okay, and 4 goes straight down the commode, ending the series. Some that don't have a good base don't even get to four, as interest drops off completely after three. An unfortunate state of affairs for series that could have potentially been great, but them's the breaks. :(

As for BG2, I think they screwed that up big time, partially by attempting to have continuity. You want continuity, get an addon to the original. However, I think that this is good news for the series, as it follows the alternating path. This means that BG3 can be great, and the series will continue. :banana:

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@Felinoid

How can you say that HommII is the worst when it is recognized by all (both gamers and critics) as the absolute best of the series. It was a vast improvement over the first one. Sure the adventure map did not get a complete overhaul but the castles and creature system sure did. It felt coherent in comparison to the creatures of I who looked plain silly. Sound effects where the best ever heard when II came out.

Plus and probably the most important thing; The Necropolis, which boasted both the best hero ever created; Sandro, and the best creatures ever created; Vampires.......Blaaaah

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Sandro is cool. But I can't remember him from HOMM2, only HOMM3. HOMM2 definitely had the best music.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

It looks interesting but I'll reserve judgement until I've played it :)

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

That comment below the picture is brilliant. I think I will choose the experience :D

12. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

http://www.mightandmagic.com/HeroesV/uk/intro.php

Finally, an official site for the game (no more lame teaser sites). Screenshots are simply fascinating.

What do you think of six alignments (Academy, Sylvan, Dungeon, Necropolis, Haven and inferno)? Academy looks surprisingly good: Arabian theme suits to it. Dungeon is kinda strange... those hydras are just too big and dark elves don't fit very well in HoMM universe. But it might be also good.

13. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That is the coolest collector's edition I have ever seen. I hope it's affordable.

14. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Apeman: I don't know about all critics and gamers, but I thought 2 was boring and stuff. Now, I played it in the order 1-3-2-4, of which I considered 3 the best, 1 was cool, 4 was kinda meh, 2 I didn't enjoy, and dropped pretty quick.

This looks interesting but I can't understand the website... Where's all the info? All I see are a few screenies and vids.

:borg:

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Well well, it feels more and more like HoMM should feel. Which is a very good thing. It might even be playable. I still do not like the 3D though...

As for the earlier HoMM's. HoMM 3 was the best in the serie, much better gameplay than the others. HoMM 2 had the best music, perhaps even the best music in any game ever. HoMM 4 was a huge disappointment to me.

16. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I must say that the art of this game is very good, I'm in love with the Angel already :love: :angel: :D

Edit: after a quick search, I found that a beta (alpha) version of this game is available on Bit Torrent already :eek: . Isn't it sick?

[ December 26, 2005, 18:33: Message edited by: Greystar ]

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

That Alpha leaked out almost a year ago and is (as I've heard) completely unplayable.

The Beta is now in progress and is totally classified which means that even if people got in they can't even say they are in :p

18. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I liked all of HoMM series and think this should be good to. Can't wait when will be possibility to explore maps, fight monsters, find artifacts and leave none alive :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.