1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

System Shock 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Defspeal, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I know that this is an old game (over 10 years) but I have just played it for the first time.
    I haven't completed it yet but its absolutely awesome and not exactly easy either, Its got aspects of RPG and first person shooter, the sound and graphics are pretty good for a game this old and defiantly add to the sometimes scary :mommy: often exhilarating game play.

[ January 21, 2005, 15:53: Message edited by: Defspeal ]

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Over ten years?! *doubts*

Anyhow - I never got very far in it. Maybe I should make another attempt. It seemed pretty good, just ... annoying. Getting killed by crazy respawning thingies isn't much fun...

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Closer to 7 or 8 years old. And yes, one excellent game, along with the original System Shock. Ah, the golden days of Looking Glass... :wail:

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

SS2 was made by Irrational.

Excellent game, respawning was annoying, ending was a bit lame.

5. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Im sure there is a cheat or something to stop them respawning. But the game is still cool with or without it.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The patch documentation explains how to stop respawns.

SS2 is a great multiplayer co-op game. I was playing it with one of my friends a while back. Good times - I preferred it to single-player. My friend never did anything except take all the loot and mock me when my weapons broke (he had all the maintenance tools, and was mean), but he relieved the tension. And I got the last laugh when my weapons broke, because he was always the first to die.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SS2 is the only FPS that I have played through more than once, because of the varieties possible with the different character types. It really is an excellent game.

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

SS2 is a pretty good game for its age. I've tried playing through twice, but became frustrated over difficulty and the respawn issue. Maybe I'll give it another shot...

10. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Definitely one of my favorite PC Games. Fun, creepy, and interesting.

My only complaint is how much the Rickenbaucher and The Many world pale in comparison to the fun of the Van Braun.

Also, you can kill the last boss in 8 seconds.

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

*BUMP*

Well, I just finished SS2 over the weekend. I'd played the original System Shock years ago when it was new, but never finished it. I got the second in a bargain bin (EA Classics - gotta love 'em :) ) and figured I should finally finish off the first. With the aid of W/Ts and maps (Citadel was really a frickin' maze wasn't it? :) ) I drove SHODAN out the first time, and installed the second game...

:eek: WOW.

This is by far one of the best games I've ever played. It even edges out Deus Ex of which it is an apparent descendant - skills are similar minus the psi, cybermodules/xp earned primarily from completing goals, configurable 'O/S', multiple means of achieving a goal, an AI is a prominent villan(ess) - no, Deus Ex has nothing in common with the SS games. ;)

And before you start, Irrational *and* Looking Glass worked on SS2 - LG probably to help provide continuity from the original.

But more than the 'conspiracy theory' game, SS (&2) gave the whole genre a visceral thrill that I'd even only barely felt with Doom - these games are effing spooky! :mommy:

My wife loves to watch me play FPS' since she just can't work 'WASD' due to a neurological incompatiblity (mouse AND keybd are confusing for her - so's patting stomach & rubbing head...er) and will be a useful 'GiB' - pointing out the location of a distant sec/cam that's twigged me, remembering that it was a left at the security station to the nearest medlab, etc.

But this game had her bolting outta her chair repeatedly. The thrill and shock (sorry) of creeping around a 'derlict' ship trying to a) survive and b) beat the Grand Foozle only to turn a corner into a kamikaze Protocol Droid (!) all the while being taunted and harrassed by the discordant voice of that nutjob AI - well, my previous assessment still stands: WOW.

And all this depth, the RPG elements and the required 'stealth' work takes SS2 right out of the 'FPS' genre IMO and puts it kinda on its own in that 'grey area' called "Hybrid Games". The game truly is unique.

IIRC, it's old enough, and the devs have basically finished with it, that it would be considered 'abandonware' - and you can get the game off the 'net (though if you luck into finding that lovely gold 'EA Classics' box, snap it up!).

Yeah, they finished with the plot...and yet, I feel a loose thread somewhere, as if all this wasn't quite ov-
    <MESSAGE INTERRUPTED>

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This game is great. Or was great rather. Loved every aspect of it except the severe lack of ammunition and need for constant repairs every 5 seconds. Stupendously good storyline, use of atmosphere, ambient sounds, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.