1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Caesar IV

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elvenblade, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tilted Mill, the creators of Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile, and Vivendi-Universal Games are currently working on this game.

Quote from Tilted Mill website:

The game is estimated to be released the fall of 2006.

Check out those awsome screenshots! I hope my comp will be able to handle that.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I loved Caesar 3, dispite some of the 'tracking' problems.

This games looks like the same thing, but with improved graphics. Not that this is a bad thing, but I hope they add a whole lot more. It was a pain in the ass trying to add all those temples, hospitals, markets etc for the houses in the previous.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Caesar III was/is my favorite city building game. Pharo/Cleo was better technically (? think that's the right word).

Caesar IV is supposed to have elements of CoTN, which could swing it either to better or worse for me. Depends on what they do. It's the old story of wait and see. I was disappointed with Zeus. I loved the feisty, demanding Romans in Caesar III.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I never could find the expansion for Pharoah, but its a great game on its own.

A great improvement for the new Caesar would be to be able to sponsor Gladiators, rather than watching the same short 3 second battle over and over again. Let people rise to fame and fortune if they perform well, or die in pain if this is not the case :evil:

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I understand that they have done away with the stupid market ladies. The economy is what they call a pull instead of a push economy. People will go to get what they need.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If they haven't done something about those immensely annoying fires that break out all over the city, then i don't care how good the graphics look, i simply can't be bothered with stuff like that.

7. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The fires are no problem with enough praefects running around and enough water supply. The real pain in the arse in Caesar III were the military campaigns. Those were made damn impossible. I mean if you start building legions from the very beginning you will have to neglect economy and fall in debt loosing popularity and having to deal with angry mobs. Otherwise you get attacked and pillaged as soon as you have a few working farms and this happens every time you try to build something. Walls and towers were near useless and the mechanism for commanding the legions makes them uncontrolable.(I've seen enemy move right past my legions who were supposed to engage them and save the city)
    Caesar III's economy building side simply rocked, if IV succeeds in that and drops the military activity it may become a classic.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I agree with Myth. If I want a military game, I would choose Stronghold or Total War series. Building the economy is most fun :D

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, i remember those desert levels, and i had Prefectures all over the place, but still my whole city went up in flames on a regular basis, that game could really get on my nerves. The levels in Gaul or Britannia, or even Hispania weren't much of a problem re fires, but the desert levels were a royal pain in the butt, which is the mainreason why i never really completed Caesar 3. I heard somewhere that a few changes in the gamedirectory could help prevent fires from ever breaking out, but i never could find any proof of that. If anyone knows what i'm talking about, and knows what exactly needs to be adjusted, then please share the info with me, so i can finish that friggin game once and for all. :D

Btw...there were fires in Zeus, Pharao, and Emperor too, but only if you neglected fireprevention, which is really more realistic if you ask me. I don't think the houses in Rome suffered from spontaneous combustion in real life either, the balance in C3 was way off the mark. The game annoyed me more than it brought me entertainment. Too bad, because in a way i really liked the game. But then again...i like everything as long as it involves Roman history. :D

10. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I fully agree. The main reason for which I like Caesar III is that playing this game is like looking at a living breathing and moving maquette of a roman town built by your own taste.If this does not create atmosphere...
    As for the fires in the desert landscapes, well, things are supposed to set themselves aflame pretty easy under the scorching desert sun. On the other hand such maps usually have an oasis or two, and they are pretty much enough. With some careful planning and great use of reservoires aqueducts and fountains (never wells!... friggnin rats...)there won't be a single fire in the whole desert. The only problem with this is that the only farming ground availiable is around those oasises so if you want to avoid your city turning into a fire brigade training ground, you will have to sacrifice some fertile soil for a reservoire or two. :mad:

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cool, Caesar 3 was quality. I spent loads of hours I should have spent getting drunk, trying to make my own little Rome on that game. It's well good, I'll keep an eye out for this game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.