1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

strategy games sought

Discussion in 'Playground' started by nightwood, Feb 19, 2005.

1. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

basically i'd like to ask if anyone could recommend a good strategy game ... i've been trying sim city 4 and anno 1503 lately but they were rather disappointing (anno just felt like the old one and sc4 just takes too long while being rather straightforward).

what i enjoy most in strategy games is complexity of gameplay (e.g. no easy ways to make money ...)
    fave games are : the civ series, various stock-market-simulations, soccer-managers, patrician etc.

while i'm open to all suggestions, please keep in mind that:
    1. i hate real-time strategy
    2. own an amd 1400 / 256 ram / riva tnt2 pro
    3. have nothing against old games

lots of thanks in advance

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Warlords 2 and 3 are excellent. 3 is a better bet I guess (Windows game, better graphics, more advanced mechanics, etc). Turn-based game in any case. I never tried Warlords 4 so cannot comment on that.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Warlords 2 is rather funky.

There's this game ... gah, can't remember the name of it. It's DOS based, space turn based strategy game done in ASCII, name starts with an 'A' - anyway, it's really good. *looks around for the name*

Aha: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=55

Anyway, this game rocks - can get a bit too micromanagey when you get lots of planets and such though...

Edit: I went to the official website for that: seems as though they've made a new version... http://www.neurohack.com/anacreon/

[ February 19, 2005, 14:37: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Nice link. I can always use a good time-killer like that. There was another old space game, it was a knock-off on Masters of Orion (a game I liked very much, by the way). I'd suggest that if I could remember its name. Failing that, why not try MoO?

5. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I never played any of the other games in the series, but I remember Heroes of Might and Magic II being quite fun.

6. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am unsure if you can find it, any more, but Cyber Empire (also Steel Empire) was an amazing game. On the Underdogs site, it is on the last page under C, when sorted alphabetically.

Pizza Tycoon was a pretty good game, as well, though I am not sure if it's the kind of game you are asking for. On the Underdogs site, it is the on the fourth page under P, when sorted alphabetically.

[ February 19, 2005, 21:03: Message edited by: a soubriquet ]

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

If you enjoy more complex/heavier strategy games I'd suggest Hearts of Iron2 or Europa Universalis2 from Paradox Entertainment. Hearts of Iron2 simulates WWII and Europa Universalis the development of Europe from 1400-1800. Both are really good and Hearts of Iron2 a bit more heavier but more unsuited for multiplayer games.

I would also recommend Steel Panthers World at War witch is in freeware distribution and great for a twoplayer multiplay battle, or War in Russia which is also freeware but I found it to be overly complex and way too heavy for me, but many of those who actually have bothered to get into the game have enjoyed it.

All of my suggestions can be considered to be more complex than your average strategy games but once you get to understand their basics they can be very awarding and fun.

EDIT: My old favorite is Fantasy General but it might be difficult to find these days and regretably is not freeware. One of the best strategy games I've played if not the best one.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you like the Civilization series, you should definitely try Colonization.

You could try Caesar too - it's mostly like SimCity but you have to fight off barbarians. But once you find the right strategy, all the campaign maps are similar so the complexity is not profound.

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd recommend Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, X-COM(which you can download for free from www.the-underdogs.org , and Jagged Alliance 2. They are all superlative games, and are bound to work on your computer as well.

Edit: Alpha Centauri is basically Civ 2 in space w/ tons more units, considering each player has their own lab to develop custom units.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you can find a copy of Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, Master of Magic, or Afterlife, all three are fantastic games.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Judging you like fantasy by coming here I cannot believie not a single one here recommended:

Heroes of might and magic II
    Heroes of might and magic III
    and even Heroes of might and magic IV

They are turn based strategy games with a great storyline and background. Endless hours of fun, without repitition.

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Apeman, Shalladeth mentioned Hereos 2. Seems I arrived too late as I was also going to suggest the heroes series, they are far too addictive lol. Just one more turn....

13. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Here's another vote for Heroes of MnM2, a game that cost me an entire semester of college many years back. I should have thought of that one. Alpha Centauri is good too, and Masters of Magic. Funny how you forget so many games and need to have others remind you...

14. Steeze Gems: 10/31

Any of the Age of Empires games. Empire Earth, or Warhammer

15. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

This talk of Heroes of Might and Magic II has prompted me to rummage through my basement to find this game! I actually found it, dusted it off, and am now playing it once again! I'd forgotten how addictive it can be, even if the graphics are a bit dated.

16. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Combat Mission. The best turn based, squad-level WWII strategy game I've played.

X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2: both superlative games. Both feature very well done tactical combat married to a good strategic engine.

Age of Wonders: like HoMM, but...with a lot more depth.

18. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I recommend Panzer General 3D, Alpha Centauri and Heroes of Might and Magic III. Also you could try 1503 A.D.

19. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Age of Mythology!

Don't get the expansion if you plan to play online though.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Master of Orion II and III if you like REALLY complex games.

The Homeworld series (especially Cataclysm, I loved the story) are good strategy games that involve 3 dimensions of movement.

Stronghold should be easy to find in bargain bins and is good castle building and military-economics management.

The Total War series of games deserve special praise for being just so damn brilliant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.