1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Halo

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Cap'n CJ, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    ok... I need opinions guys.

Halo, is it any good? i think it SUCKS, its a poor quality FPS with nothing special about it, but for some reason it has an almost fanatical following. WHY!?

so heres the deal: Doom 3 is a much better game in my opinion. what do y'all think?

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Halo: Another lame console game heralded as the best game of all time by a bunch of X-Box playing smacktards. Not even worth it, it's shallow, boring, and nearly everything in it has been done before, and better too. Oh yeah, and it's very short as well.

Still waiting for Half-Life 2, Doom 3 was a bit too much of a flashlight simulator for my tastes.

3. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I do agree with pretty much all of the above. Halo is extremely over glorified, and that really pisses me off :mad: But that being said, it does have its good sides. It is short, but very replayable. The combat in it is fast furious and well orchestrated. The physics involved in the game are also quite admirable i suppose (as if that matters anyway). I did find the gameplay to be quite enjoyable (for an fps), and i normally HATE fps's. But its story was lamely thin, and at the end of the day, all you did was go around pointing one of your guns at something and make "cablamo" sounds. Thats why I can't stand these people who go on about it as if its more important to them than family or somesuch crap. I almost HATE the damn game, just cos it's so ridiculously over glorified, and so wrongly hailed as one of the best games ever made.

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What have you guys been smoking?!?! Halo, whether on the X-Box or PC is one of the most enjoyable fpss one the market.

Good Points: Great story. Interesting characters. Very nice grapics, even now. Fun gameplay. Reasonably good AI. Great vehicular combat. (Nothing beats driving around in a Warthog with two Marines) Interesting game world. Fun multiplayer, either co-op or vs. Good weapon selection. Mostly good weapon balance. (The pistol is the most poorly balanced weapon ever!) Good gameplay balance between taking it slowly and furious action. (The level to get to the grav lift is a very good example of this)

Bad points: Horribly poor multiplayer code in the PC version. Gets too easy after you've played it enough. Needed more MP maps (in console version). Only one MP skin. No ragdoll physics. Marines occaisonally become suicidal. Too short. The Flood.

At the end of the day, it's still an fps, and if you don't like those, you'll probably hate Halo. Was it over-hyped? Maybe, but not that much. Was the the PC port rushed and poorly done? Yes. Is it still a really good game? Heck Yeah! Maybe the story was abit cliched, but what story isn't, especially in an fps?

@ Gehn: Those people who obsess over Halo, or any other game, video or otherwise, and consider it more important then family really need help. That's not a sign of a good or bad game, it's a sign of an obsession.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

*slaps Kam on the back*

That a boy! My sentiments on the game exactly.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Err... sorry Kam, but I have to disagree.

Nice graphics? Not really. Even Unreal (yes, the first one) had prettier graphics (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc).

Fun gameplay? If you enjoy going down the SAME corridor over and over and over again. I stopped counting how many times I went through the exact same identical-looking corridor, and that was only the first level of the game. The level design is so dull it got boring within minutes.

Don't know about weapon balance, since I never got far enough into the game... but I fully agree about the IMbalance.

For me it never got "furious". It was slow all the way, and I don't mean that in any positive sense.

Easily one of the most overrated games I've seen. One of the worst FPSs I've played too.

My two cents only of course :)

7. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'd probably agree that Halo is a disppointment on the PC although most Xbox ports have been so far. You may also bear in mind that its nearly 3 years old on the Xbox - so to compare it with doom3 (although that should have been out at least 2 years ago) is unfair.I started playing it on the XBox when I got them both free with my last mobile phone. I generally dislike FPS - with a few notable exceptions over the years (half life, doom 1 & 2 and maybe golden eye) so I found halo was a nice suprise.

There are not many, if any FPS on the console market that have the feel and general playability of it - I certainly can't name one. I own a PS2 as well, and I know it hasn't the power to run a game like this.

I think the main thing that attracts me is the ease of turning on a console rather and starting the game in a few seconds. I look back a few months ago when I played far cry for the first time - after spending well over an hour installing, messing about with the settings - then downloading the most recent drivers for my motherboard and graphics card (still on dial up). I was bored before I even started.

You could probably pick up a second hand copy of this for £15 by now and an Xbox is less than £100 - so you can imagine why so many people like this game - it has a much larger audience. For £1000 you could a high end PC and start playing doom 3 (limited) or far cry. I think the casual gamer will get the most out of Halo.

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Yep, Ziad has it right.

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I have actually never played a single player game on Halo. I have only ever played it on co-op and versus (don't know what else to call it), but I have to say that the co-op is one of the best I've ever played.

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i've got the pc version, and i say everything looks good, but it never rises to a masterpiece level for graphics, the marines looks really "squary", just look at their faces, but the enemy's look really good, and you fight almost the same type of enemys all the time, and the maps look real empty, and they are not filled with alot of detail.
    And there is not much change in gameplay.
    Well, the only good things about this game are it's vehicles.
    My opinion: Not the best shooter ever, if you are looking for a real good first-person shooter, you can better choose Farcry, Doom III or Unreal 2

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31

And don't forget Half-Life. Now THAT was a good shooter. It doesn't even need fancy graphics or vehicles, it's just awesome.

12. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, it's a good shooter, but after playing i won't play it anymore, it's not so great as everyone says and thinks, i prefer the shooters i mentioned above.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Half-Life, System Shock 2, Wolfenstein 3D ( :D ) and Far Cry are the only FPS games worth a mention I have played so far...Halo is overrated craptasticness, and so is Doom III.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31

@Faraaz

It's funny how many older shooters completely outclass Halo. Are you forgetting RtCW though?

15. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, i'm in a "retro-gaming" moment right now, because i'm playing old shooters right now, like Blood and Duke Nukem 3d Atomic (Erotic version), and i'm playing Call of Duty too right now.

16. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Yes, with the exception of some Joint Ops once in a while, I've been retro gaming as well lately. I guess I'm just waiting for HL2.

Duke Nukem erotic version: :nono:

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Rednik: RtCW wasnt all that great in my opinion, though in all fairness, I haven't played the PC version. I played it on the PS2, and that one was alright, but not great enough to make it on my recommended FPS list. :)

PS: The "erotic" in Duke Nukem Erotic Version is a fair bit of what made the game such a success IMO. ;)

18. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You know, for some reason I could never get into Half-Life. Don't get me wrong, it was (and still is) a brilliant game, but for whatever reason I always had trouble witht the aiming in it. I've never had that much trouble with any other game.
    RtCW was a really fun game, but it really seems to drag in the middle. The beginning and end are the best parts.
    Deus Ex, now that was a great game...

19. Rednik Gems: 21/31

RtCW has a decent SP campaign, a great expansion, and great multiplayer. A worthy game, although I thought it dragged a bit towards the end, by which I mean that extremely difficult level when the castle is full of undead. The best part is that second stealth mission in the village. I can see how having the PS2 version can lessen it's appeal though.

20. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, Duke Nukem Erotic version is good, ads 4 more episodes, but only one erotic one, but it gets more sleecy every level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.