1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imoen Sucks!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by aegron, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

When i first played BG1 i found Imoen an essential ingredient to conquering the game when starting as a beginner. But as time grew on and i started playing other characters after finishing the game, i adjusted to Corran and he is indeed a good thief. So in all respects, i'd say that Imoen is a bloody good NPC for a starting party. But when you finish the game, i'd recommend branching out to other characters to revive the challenge of unfamiliar territory.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I'd still keep my money on Imoen, good archer with cool stats. And being able to decide whether she should be trap finding or not, pickpocketing or not(god forbid it!) is great. And roleplaying, I think dumping your sis would be rather tough and cruel because your foster father just died.

Let her stay pure too, if you want a mage, find a mage, there's plenty of them

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 10, 2001).]

3. Lemernis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Monty is actually a very formidable thief when you get him leveled up. Halfings get some nice thieving bonuses. Don't overlook him.

Coran's find traps is poor but he is a deadeye with the bow with his 20 dex. Give him the Eagle Bow and bracers of archery and he can hit a sparrow at 200 yards.

A little off topic, but as for the best thief the game offers you, take a look at the generic "thief" .chr file some time. He's a halfling. That character's stats are amazing. He only has 9 strength but look at his thieving skills! He's almost overpowered, really.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Halflings due to their size among other things, get special thief skill boni on a lot of things, and no penalties.

This is why halflings make the best thieves around.

5. Arek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I haven't played BGI in a while (I want to go throught the whole thing again), but I remember that BGI had a dearth of decent magic types and plenty of decent warrior types. I also remember that keeping Imoen as the party's main thief (with a little back-up from Coran who makes a decent fighter type). I also remember it being pretty easy to form a "good" party without sacrificing too may of the better NPCs.

6. Lemernis Gems: 2/31

For some time I have wanted to try out an evil party, playing it fully 'in character' as evil:

me/fighter, cleric-mage or cleric-thief
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Kagain
    Montaron
    Shar Teel or Eldoth

I may never get around to doing this, as it will be several months before I finish BG2/ToB and by then NWN may be out. But anyway playing evil sounds like a fun challenge.

7. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I gotta say Imoen sux!
    she is a decent archer but not compared to Kivan, her thieving skills take a while to get good and by then she probably has caused you to reload several times.
    And her soundset is so irritating!

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i thought imoen added a little more fun to the game with a lighthearted attitude in the crisis which is the story, she is a great thief and archer to boot, never had her killed she just survives whatever the enemy throw at her, besides i take kivan in the party with them and coran bugs the hell out of me... so i kill him

so, give her a nice short bow, the studded leather shadow armour, arrows of biteing gauntlets of archery a wand of magic missiles and watch her cut the enemy down to size

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Sparhawk i've just began to play BG again and i'm using a fighter thief and it has to be said that my theiving abilities scores suck. But then they do take a while to get good, just like, GASP!, any thief in the game! OMG! what a shock.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Doh, but a pure thief reaches that good thief-scores much earlier in the game then a fighter/thief. I always one or 2 fighters to fight and 1 thief for the thieving stuff. So where do I need a fighter/thief for that is not a good thief in the first 6 chapters?

11. Imoen sucks. How can you like her?! This is BG and in BG she sucks. In BG2 she sucks. She sucks! There are soooo many better NPCs that are better than Imoen.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

She doesn't suck..... As fighter she does but she is a great thief, the best PURE thief in the game... or do you know a better one???

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] The only way to get a better thief then Imoen is to have your main character as one IMHO.
    I find that dualling her also helps my party out a great deal, and use her a thief/mage, and have someone else filling in for the thieving abilitied i didn't have her concentrate on.

14. Caine Gems: 2/31

uhh shadow goddess i don't know if you noticed but imoen just pllain rocks bg-ToB
    in bg2 she the best non evil mage besides nalia (use em' both any way)bg1 great theving skills pickpoceted every one in beregost with her he he (also if you do it right you can pick pocket sarevock.Sword of chaos no more...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.