1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your first own computer game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Baronius, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hero's Quest on the Atari ST. Fighter, Magic User (not mage) and Thief. Good old text-command games and spending an hour trying to throw a rock at a bird's nest to retrieve a ring the damn thing nicked off some lady.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Tetris, Gameboy.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Which Tetris? There were a lot of that games even that time. OK stupid question :rolleyes: because it was called Tetris but how did it look like ? :D

4. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I'm not actually entirely sure, I got a collection of four games with my first computer, and then another collection of four soon after. Which may or may not have been after I got hold of Saboteur II. Anyway the eight:

Wizball (class, but never seen in colour), Bruce Lee (no lights please), World Series Baseball (crap), PSI 5 (interesting), Victory Road (eh?), Robocop (Like BL, one bit I could never do, the photofit this time), Tag Team Wrestling (annoying losing after a couple of round before the final title) and something else I've forgotten for the moment, if anyone can fill me in?

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Gee, I feel pretty young! Why It's must be because I'm 15 . I haven't heard from most of the game you've posted!

6. Neverless Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My first computer game was either Gremlins or PacMan. They both were loaded from a 5 1/2" floppy onto a ?Macintosh? (I think that was the system). Gremlins worked for about a week, PacMan worked for a month. High quality, huh.

7. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think it was Pitfall II for the C64, but could also be Frogger...

I had a very advanced Commodore 64. It had a floppy drive!

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Secret of the Silver Blades.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Betrayal at Krondor. Loved that old DOS game. Can't play it with XP.

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmmm well when I got my first PC (over 6 years ago now, same speakers and keyboard now :heh: ) my friend gave me some of his old games - namely Settlers 2 (I wasted far, far, far too many hours on that game), Transport Tycoon, and Commander Keen 4 (gotta love the inbuilt pong). However the first game I went out and bought was 'Croc' or 'Croccer' or 'Croc/cer - Legend of the Gobbos' or some such silly name. I had played a demo and thought it was great, I was to be greatly dissapointed by the full version. Actually now I think about it my first game may have been Discworld 1 (which I only recently managed to finish - reason all walkthroughs do NOT give the correct ending for the final puzzle). Hmmm memories.

Note: And then pretty soon after I discovered 'Baldurs Gate:Tales of the Sword Coast' which claimed over 100 hours of gameplay and 50,000+ screens. I bought it for £20 and spent the next 18 months or so playing it on and off. Still never tottally completed it though (Though I was with my friend, the same friend who gave me my first games - whom I had got hooked upon BG, when he killed Sarverok, with my strategic aid *, sweet memories).

* My aid mostly being 'Don't run over the traps, go around them. AROUND THEM! Nooooooooo!' Rinse, reload, and repeat.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Zork and Choplifter were the first 2 computer games that I got with my first computer. An Apple II back in 1983(or was is 84?)

12. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Probably Might & Magic 4: Clouds of XEEN.

EDIT: Hmm, just noticed an earlier post by me. My memory is short i guess...

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Donkey Kong Country!!!!!!!
    On Snes when I was 6, wow it doesn't seem like that long ago (8 years)

14. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Worms United. One of the best things ever to come from Sweden.

15. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Frogger! At last someone who knows what I was speaking about :D
    Very advanced! As I said, I had only a tape! And I was daft enough to press the Record button somehow and delete (overwrite) Frogger! :cry:

16. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Frogger had nothing on Pacman!!!*

* Says someone who was very good at Pacman yet never got anywhere in Frogger.

17. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The topic's a bit old, but I'm only seeing it now, and what a great one it is. :D

I remember as if it were yesterday, going to my best friend's house and playing my first games, which in my mind are classics. One of my greatest memories is Golden Axe for Genesis. Doom and Duke Nukem will always be in my heart. And Megaman! And Zelda! Sigh, God bless you all.

And when I got my first system that I personally owned, SNES, and the first game was Super Mario World. I remember dying on that first enemy, and... uh... wow, now I'm understanding why everyone was wiping tears from their eyes... :heh:

And another old one. Lemmings. :eek:

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The first game I played on my own computer was good old Wolfenstein 3D. It came with the PC.

The very first game I bought with my hard earned cash was Strike Squad. That game had its moments.

19. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Burger Time on the Intellivision. Rocked! I don't think I ever beat it. My grandmother was awesome at it.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    On any computer at all . . . either the old "Advent" on the mainframe at school (you have entered a maze of twisty little passages, all alike) or Kwll or Trek. All three were played on the TTY at school with the boxes of paper (Look ma, no screen!)

First computer game on a screen was probably space invaders for the commodore 64 (from the tape).

First game on my own computer (Apply II) was the original Wizardy.

*** Llandon - Dude, I remember Choplifter! Thanks for the blast from the past.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.