1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your first own computer game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Baronius, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My first games were a game called Dungeons (astronauts with laser guns in mazes), Henry's house, Frogger, and some others, I can't remember more at the moment. All were stored in a tape which could be connected to a Commodore 64. The display was a simple TV monitor. I used the joystick for playing, not the keyboard. (As far as I know, these games worked only with Joystick)

What were the first games you played in your own computer (no matter if C64 or Amiga or anything before X86)?

2. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

My first "own" computer game was "three-in-a-row" I wrote on C64 (yeah, from a book, so it was freeware :D )

3. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Not sure, the first one I can remember playing is Wing Commander IV. I am sure I played games before that but Wing Commander IV was the first one I actually played enough to remember. Plus Mark Hamil(I can't even spell his name *sigh*) played the main character in it. Was really wierd and pretty pathetic, but I supposed he has to make some money.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Omega Race on the Commodore Vic 20. You controlled a tiny star shaped space ship that whizzed around the screen shooting enemies.

That ship was almost impossible to control because it only had thrust and spin. If you spun too far the wrong way you just slammed straight into an enemy ship. Plus only one laser gun - no smart bombs or anything.

Tough game.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games.

Suddenly I feel young.

BTW, this is the 1000th topic in playground, Weee!!

6. Arath Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

either DOOM or Duke 'n nukem...( im from 87, never played on a commodore, my dad has one though and we tried to fix it... but he cant remember the commands to make it play and things like that...
    DOOM is still a nice game... and, it being the first game I played, then you might imagine how I look forward to seeing DOOM III... DAMN IT'LL BE COOL!!!!!!!!!!

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sim City Classic...when it was still modern. I always made too much smog, no matter how hard I tried. :(

8. Boeing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Worms 2...

*sniff* The nostalgia...

9. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The first one I remember was Space Invaders back on the Atari. It came on a clunky cartridge that you had to plug into the top of your machine. Loaded in about a fifth of a second which I never thought about at the time but years later when I got a Spectrum and the average loading time was 2-3 minutes, I began to realise the Atari was quite advanced for its day.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Return to Zork.

Never had a computer before that.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Kirby's Dream Land for gameboy - that game rocked :grin:

12. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Bubble Bubble for my 48K spectrum,
    It had a tape drive too :D
    My best friend who lived just down the road had a 128K spectrum (I was rather envious at the time)

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Buck Rogers for my Adam, and if I remember correctly the game was on tape. :)

14. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

International Karate + (IK+) was my very first game that I bought with my own money. All I had back then was a Commodore 64 ('87 myself) and I bought it from a friend. No pirate copy, the very original tape. The music in the intro while it loaded was just.. nice. *wipes a tear away, getting all nostalgic*

15. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Born in 85, the first computer game I ever played was Maniac Mansion on this seriously low powered computer with a two coloured moniter: black nad yellow.

The first game I ever owned was Space Quest III, for a less old computer with a colour monitor. Ah, memories. Never did beat SQ3... damn thing would freeze up every single time I got to a certain location...

16. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't think that TA counts... as it came with the family computar.

Edit: it was Warcraft II to mac, it didn't work though :roll:

17. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

With the family computer? Of course it counts. There are many members here who did not buy their own computer for any reason such as being a student and not having money for it yet etc. So your first PC can mean the computer your parents have bought you for example... but now, since I rephrased the interpretation of "own" in my post, I think I have to make everything wider. So if you tried your first game at the computer of your friend, then it is also okay and feel free to post about it.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Starflight II?

I had a number of games in the mid-80s that I'm not sure exactly which one I played first.

19. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Warcraft 2, I think.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The original Diablo I think.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.