1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gaming because you have to

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Do you ever find yourself investing a lot of time in a game because you just want to finish it. Originally you played the game because it was fun but then it developes into a kind of obsession that you have to finish it no matter what so that you can start into a new game.

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Never.

I must be too lazy for that. Most times it happens just the opposite. I start the game, play it for a while think it's pretty good and then leave it alone for months. Then i either unistall it or play it again a bit. But i've never forced myself to finish a game i didnt really like that much. Waste of time... i play games for fun not as an obligation.
    However there are times when i have to finish a certain point of game to get to the good parts again. This requires i had already finished the game before, and i rarely play the same game twice (except BG ;) ). So this happens very rarely too.

I imagine i would if the plot was awsome and playability average. I'd want to see how the story ends and endure with the game mechanics.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I usually try to finish every game I have bought at least twice -otherwise it would be waste of money (something poor students like me don't have too much :p ). Still, with some games, even though the game would be good (like MoHAA), for some reason I never get around playing it. :hmm:

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Same as Gothmog, in fact it happened that I reached the end boss and didn't kill him because the game got boring and I played a different one.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I wouldn't say I play games more often because I feel I *have* to finish them, but more because I paid money for them and want to get my money's worth.

Having said that, I just can't force myself to play either TOEE or POR due to bugs, naff gameplay or whatever.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Normally I will resolutely try to finish the game just because I feel I have to. Perfect example is mystery of the druids. It was a terrible game but i felt i had to finish it. That said, I threw GTA3 out 2 hours after I bought it and have never looked back. I guess it depends on how annoying it truely is.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nah, i just play when i feel like it. No matter how much i'm getting sucked into a game, there always comes a time when i step back from the game for a while, or start exploring another game. Very rarely i play a game all the way to the end, i think it happened only with Commando's 2. When i started playing that one, i finished it less than 30 hours later. I didn't eat or sleep, i went straight ahead until it was over.

8. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Some games (most of them are on the web :lol: ) I play a lot, some times finish.
    The games on the web I mostly visit everyday to play or build a bit.
    But are then kind of games I like, otherwise I wouldn't finish them :evil:

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

EverQuest.

That game felt too much like a job after a while.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

No, I removed all of the games from my PC, put all the game cases into a box, and put them away. Games waste valuable guitar practicing time and we can’t have that now can we.

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been playing Morrowind too much lately because I want to finish it to justify buying it. I also think if I finish the game then I'll have a good excuse to buy Knights of the Old Republic hehe.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh yes - Baldur's Gate. From the return to Candlekeep part onwards I became obsessive (Which does not mean that it was not fun).

And the last temples of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

13. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

I often have games that I've to finish, but as I said in my reply earlier that it's not with every game.

Games like Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Project IGI, are games that are fun for a period.
    But after that period, you lay them away for a while.

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

there are several games that i finished because i felt that i had to. Some of these are Azurik, bg dark alliance(xbox) and dnd heroes(xbox), forsaken, disciples 2, the first lord of the rings game, and hitman codename 47... that just got flat out boring after the gun runners paradise level.

15. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I actually don't finish most games. I have only one regret-Deus Ex. I can always install it and continue, though, because I never sell or trade games either. The only games I actually finished were the BI RPGs, except for IWDII. It just didn't draw me in like the others.

Oh yeah, KOTOR, too. That I finished-it carried me all the way to the end.

In other games I get too frustrated or tired of repeating similar puzzles and so on. Or, I find its just a little too hard, like the not far from the beginning in System Shock 2. I'm not such a good gamer, thoguh.

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My brother always gives me games that he gets overseas for a couple dollars. It's kind of funny, the only games I consistantly play are BG1 & 2, and I bought those two. The only games I've ever paid more than 20 dollars for.

To answer your question, I actually finished the Harry Potter game. I'm pretty sure I was forced into that because I hated every minute of it. :o

17. The 'good' guy Gems: 3/31

Now your talking about cheap games, I often buy cheap games and most of them I find really good. :)

But some of them are really bad :( , so it relly depends on what kind of game it is.

[ April 12, 2004, 22:10: Message edited by: Beren ]

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I know what you mean. Its an obsession with me to play BG2 every single day!! :eek:

Even if it is just mucking around in the character creation screens, I have to have some time with BG2 every single day.

And this has been going on since January 2002...so I suppose there's something wrong with me...and I'm not kidding. It got to a point where I couldnt sleep coz I hadnt had my daily dose of BG2!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.