1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your oldest PC game?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apeman, Nov 29, 2003.

1. BigGreenPriest Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Oldest PC game that is still in box, completely playable is

BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Revenge
    Released for PC in 1991 by Infocom
    Written by Westwood Associates - Distributed by Mediagenic

But the first game I played on a personal computer? Woah. That would be TRS80 stuff, loaded from cassettes, black and white. Text adventures and the snake game, Nibbles I think it was. I wrote a spelling game in basic (not even Qbasic!)for that platform. This was in 9th grade....1981? By that time I was also playing Commodore 64 and Apple II, which were color. Lots of cool text adventures on those.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Unreal tournament :D

3. Muskstick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmm Frontier Elite II
    Civ 1's a fave
    Original Lemmings
    Railroad Tycoon
    Also have the heaps of shareware games, first few commander keens and duke nukems, ohh and SUPAPLEX Best game ever! :D Too lazy to find any others. And Sam and Max Hit the Road

4. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just a quick note, I think that Dune 2 is the oldest RTS out there. It's from 1992 and Warcraft is from 1994

5. Muskstick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Then when was the first Red Alert? PS Civ was an RTS( Well not real time i suppose)but it was out in '91

6. Neriana Gems: 6/31

World of Xeen. What a great game that was.

I've also got an original copy of King's Quest 4 somewhere... whatever happened to Roberta Williams anyway? I liked those games, though I didn't bother playing the last one cuz it just wasn't the same.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The oldest game I still have is the first Fallout from 1996. Because I no longer have a system capable of playing old DOS games, I got rid of my X-Com games and suchlike a while back.

[ December 03, 2003, 12:03: Message edited by: Chris Williams ]

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I used to have Monkey Island and Prince of Persia, but I guess they were binned when our computer was done up. I have downloaded Prince of Persia again, except its a fans mod, so its not the original, so it would have to be Final Doom.

9. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Golden Axe! I think that's the one.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis or monkey island. or maybe Heroes quest (quest for glory 1, before they changed its name). by the way, if you want to play your old dos games, go to this site http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1 and download dosbox. It made Quest for glory 4 run perfectly.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have such grand titles as:

Pac-man
    Digger (Dig Dug)
    Grand Prix Circuit
    Prince of Persia
    Pipemania
    J-bird
    Eagle's Nest
    Popcorn

still somewhere on my shelves, on 5.25'' disks. Glory be to XT!

12. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Probably X-com terror from the deep
    Ah those were the days !

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The oldest game I own is the original Rainbow Six for the PC :D .

The oldest game I have ever played, is Pacman :D

14. monkey Gems: 6/31

I can't remember what my first game I got on 5.25" disk but my first game on 3.5" disk was a Manchester United football game - it was rubbish.

Other notable old games - Commander Keen, Dizzy, Wacky Wheels (Mariokart for PC), Jill of the Jungle (awesome), Wolfenstein.

My favourite game from way back is Fields of Glory although I think the disks are corrupted.

15. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My oldest game, still on floppy, is F15-III Strike Eagle, which at the time I ran on a suboptimal system with all options on and as such it's life span was greatly enhanced since I flew half a day to complete one mission (even with accelerated time). :o :(

16. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

My Oldest game, on 6 5 1/4" floppies is Police Quest (I), which I predates the other Quest games, I believe. (though they all came out around the same time.)

I also still posess old SEGA Master System games, such as Teddy Boy and My Hero, on the short lived but cool SEGA Card

17. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My oldies arent too old.
    Warcraft 2
    Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
    Conquest Of The New World

And maybe Age Of Empires 1, can't remember when that came out.
    And somewhere a bunch of horrible(in my opinion) D&D games. Hillsfar and it's sequel I think.

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have starcraft!

19. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well i have several shareware versions (demos) of few old games on 5.25" discs, but i cant read them since i dont have 5.25 floppy :(

On those discs i have: (most of them are on only one disc)
    Elite
    Test Drive
    Pit Tomb(cant remember the name exactly, but i run it with PT)
    Mars 1
    Arcanoid
    Jill Of The Jungle 1
    Duke Nukem 1
    Space Invaders
    Digger
    Cat
    Operation Eagle (or is it Eagle's Nest? as Chevalier calls it?)
    and some more... Even if i had 5.25 disc, i doubt i could play them since they would be too fast... But there is another problem... I have CD with some old games (i found it in store, in the basket with low budget CDs), but when i try to play some of those games, it reports "division by zero"!!! Any help?

Oldest CD game is probably Tie Fighter (Collector's CD) or Rebel Assault...

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

its eagles nest, i still have my floppy disk somewhere.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.