1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Kingdom of Sorcerer's Place?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aikanaro, May 27, 2003.

1. The Wise One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I could try doubling the size of the map and making it scrollable... kind of time-taking and hard on the memory, but oh well. And, by the way, newest version allowes you to edit the map. Now in a ZIP file, you edit the MapDef.map file to change the map. Limited size, though -- 25x18. Better tileset, too, now the desert doesn't look horrible and takes up about half the second continent.

@Rotku - I just got an E-Mail that said that your inbox was unavailable. You might want to check that.

EDIT

I just got a site at Angelfire that lets me upload files other than HTML! Use this link (copy/paste if it doesn't work):

http://www.angelfire.com/psy/wiseone/FMG.zip

[ August 28, 2003, 21:08: Message edited by: The Wise One ]

2. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just incase ya'll need any help with graphics and the like, I would be glad to help. Morgoth and others no what i can do to pictures... :evil: I'd like to know that my meaningless character might be put to some good use.

3. The Wise One Gems: 1/31

Well, if you really think you can help, I can put up the source tile images, and you can see if you can improve on that (24-bit BMP format). And I've got the size restriction bug worked out -- the program now draws any size map up to 50x36! Also includes compressed version of source tiles, too. Source tile images:

www.angelfire.com/psy/wiseone/Tileset65536.bmp

The tiles are also imbedded into the program, itself, so if you got a resource editor, you could also extract the images.

New version of map (note that I haven't had time to work on the actual map, because of debugging and all that):

www.angelfire.com/psy/wiseone/FMG.zip

Since I haven't updated the map to fit the increased map size yet, would anyone help out?

[ August 30, 2003, 17:07: Message edited by: The Wise One ]

4. riotus Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hi

can i help ?i do design an development .

i was juz thinking ,the map for Dungeon Keeper was great .... perhaps we want something like that ?

will we consider flash ?

oh well ,cheers

[ September 02, 2003, 05:03: Message edited by: riotus ]

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

You can help by correcting your language/the-other-word-which-has-left-my-mind-at-the-moment.
    Then we might give you something to do.

Oh and welcom to the Boards! :wave:

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You could try redesigning the website if you have the sudden urge to. You could submit something (maybe a story). If you know any Perl you could try setting up a forum (or failing that, find a host that supports PHP). You could submit your own map.
    That's all I can think of at the moment :D

7. The Wise One Gems: 1/31

If you look in the previous pages you can find most of the resources you need to help. I would be grateful if you would finish the map for me. :) Not that I can't do it myself, just that I don't feel like working this week.

8. riotus Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] A pearl to you,

well i always like the saying,'if it aint broke, dun fix it.' so i probs wont be redoing any of the done quests ....

i can prob be useful with the map, though. wat exactly would you like the end result to be like?
    would a flash file be better? Or a gif with image maps? Or a simple nice jpeg that downloads easily over slow connections? (flash an gif supports animation, though animated gif that fits 800x600 will have a horrendous file size ...)

plz pardon my little grammar habits..lol

Cheers an magic items in your treasure always.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

It really doesn't matter what the map's done in. If I were you I'd go for JPEG or GIF. There is no point in animating the map, though if you have the sudden urge to make non-map animations for it, feel free to go right ahead :D

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Okay i've lost touch (obviously) so could someone give me a very quick summary of whats going on?

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The world's ending! Run for your li...
    Na, umm we are currently in the process of finalizing the maps/history/gods and the forum is hopefully going to be up soon *looks at Aik*
    And we have a web page!
    It maybe basic but it is a web page!
    Look back to page nine, iirc, for the link to it.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The forum is only not up because I'm a lazy bum who is too engrossed in roleplaying elsewhere to write up whatever is necessary. The history is getting chewed to pieces as new information on the old SP comes in and it is realised that some of it is in fact, crap.
    Everything that is not done is because no one is doing anything (to my knowledge anyway). The only obvious thing been done at the present time is the maps.

13. Rotku

What infomation do you need to write up for the forums?

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

A sticky and a description. This is for a board on the BOM in case I haven't told you yet, as it seems the best (only) way to go at the moment.

15. Rotku

That shouldn't take long to throw together, should it?

16. The Wise One Gems: 1/31

@ riotus -- You are right about the GIFs... unless you make it in 16 colors. Anyways, a JPEG would be better than the clumsy EXE we have right now, but how do you propose to make it? Hand-drawn, computer-rendered, or whatever else. Nothing serious, but I was just wondering, since drawing a map by using 'pixel-drawing' techniques is very, very slow.

17. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Ok! You guys, I thought it was about time I added something here. Firstly, the website is poo-ish. :) Secondly, you have no forum as of yet. Thirdly, dot.tk and freeweb are st00pid :D

I offer a solution. I'll host all this crap for you guys. I've got in excess of 800MB space, of which I can allocate lots to you guys, say 100-200MB. I'll host Perl, CGI, PHP, anything else you can get your hands on.

I'll also fix up the forum (XMB if anyone is wondering. This is an excellent Forum, much like this one.)

Er.. what else?

Daephon:
    Oh pretty please? :D

[edit] Oh yeah! I've also got DWmx, Photoshop 7.1 and all that, so any images you want I'll do as well. As long as it's not two hundred 800x1100 images, or something ridiculous.

So, what say you (Aikanaro, 8People, whoever else is organising this) to it?[/edit]

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Firstly: Yes, that is very, very correct :)
    Secondly: That is also correct :)
    Thirdly: I agree :D

I say: Hell Yes!

Methinks thinks that you're already in the demi-gods section.

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I agree, my vote goes on the Weasel.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

*Whispers to Velve* Generally it isn't a good thing to insult people who are doing things for you for free :grin:

Now that I am feeling minutly more creative I've started going over the hostory, throwing things out and throwing experimental things in which we'll all decide on how good they are when I finish it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.