1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Got Thief?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by ejsmith, Oct 3, 2002.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just loaded it up again. This time with the editor.

This game is awesome! I messed around with the physics of the arrows, and the mines and equipment. There's about 100 different ways to play through each mission now, so it's much less linear. 5 rope arrows, and you can make a rope "ladder" to the rooftop and enter there; 500 gas arrows, and you can just knock out anyone that gives you static about the creases in your uniform; 500 fire arrows and just annihilate the undead levels.

When I first got the game, the first mission was fun. But all the undead missions just got old, super fast. I just watched all the briefings and cutscenes, and enjoyed the game like that. Now, with the editor, I've been playing through most of the undead levels, or at least halfway and then skipping through it. But the best ones are the thieving ones.

So far, I like breaking into the mansions, knocking out 95% of the guards, pilfering everyones gold teeth and the kitchen sink, then slipping back out again.

Rogues rule!!!!!

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I liked this game at first, but then I started to fight zombies and alien-things. That ruined the whole game.

3. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Thief 2 is much better. It's Thief, but without undead

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I loved Thief and the sequel. I hear the third in the series is coming out soon.

What editor are you talking about? I didn't know there was such a thing.

Actually, you can already take out most of the guards. Just isolate them so you get one at a time. Then run away as you're raising your arm for an uber swing. When it's ready, run back and tag him. Then repeat. They die in a few strokes, and they're too slow to catch you or hit you before you strike. Some of the tougher ones will block a few times, though.

Man, now I want to go play it again. Rope arrows were the best.

5. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't know why people hate undead and aliens that much? I think they are fine.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I read about thief2, and decided those robot guys that you had to shoot in the back with a water arrow or two, wasn't all that appealing.

But now, I'm having second thoughts. I still like the "sneak and grab" missions by far. The 2nd mission is kinda fun once you get into the prision, and all those hammer guards are in there. But the caves are just no fun.

Basically, and this is true in every walkthrough I've read, you have to just run through all the undead areas trying not to get hurt.

If you play "by the rules", this is very true. It takes holy water or fire arrows to take out *most* undead, especially if there's a whole slew of them and you'll get whacked by archers if you close for melee. It would be one thing if you had to make it through *one* mission like that, or one mission where you could not knockout a single person.

That might be interesting. But as it stands, the editor makes the game enjoyable again.

There's a level called "lost city". And since I'm playing the original game (not gold), there's no mages. There's a couple of parts where it's almost (actally, a lot) like Tomb Raider. If I didn't have the shields and visibility bar on the screen, I'd think I was exploring Atlantis. It was one of the most beautiful parts of the game.

But the rope arrows totally rule. I'd like a few more options with them (like swinging), but I'm happy with just having them in a very usable config. as they are now.

That would be an awesome addition to a Tomb Raider. Having rope crossbow, or grappling hook. Or in thief 3, what if you could fire a rope arrow, then secure it to something, so you could shimmey across it. Like from one parapet to another.

Rest In Peace, Looking Glass... :(

[edit: I wouldn't call myself an "audiophile", but I pay attention to my ears quite a bit. Sound is considerably more important to me than eye candy; but you do have to be able to tell just what it is you are aiming for. The Thief engine does all of this remarkably well. I can make out a wooden beam from a stone support quite a ways away. I can turn around, and figure out which way a guard is coming from, where he is by the different flooring. And the background hiss of lava, and gears turning, makes it difficult to hear where your target is. But it also covers up you movement as well. There are a bunch of games that could take notes from the sound use in this game.]

[ October 03, 2002, 19:22: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

7. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Look around the internet, there are a ton of user created levels and mods for both Thief and Thief II, as well as editors.

I agree that the undead levels were just not as good as the human ones.

8. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

speaking of which, I'm still crossing my fingers for a system shock 3...

9. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Yeah, i totally agree with most of the points made. I'm up to a really rubbish level (quite near the end) the one where all your stuff has been stolen and you have to get it all back. It's totally crawling with wierd aliens and spiders and the like. I just can't be bothered with it coz as soon as they see you they shoot a swarm of bees at me. Arrgghh, i'm covered in bees.

My fave levels so far are Undercover, and the one where you break the guy out of the prison and then he dies, they were good.

As for thief2, i saw that stuff about the robots as well, and just though, "What?" So i've never bought it.

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I've only played one decent mod. It had a bunch of mutant children in it that ran around and said, "shut the f*** up" to each other.

Vicious little critters, too. You would lose in a 1-on-1 battle.

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am at present completely stuck on the Lost City mission. According to the walkthroughs I've consulted I'm meant to find the water talisman and the key to the drawbridge (I previously jumped that gap, only to find there was no way back after spending ages getting into the tower) in some sort of big tomb. However, I seem to have found the wrong tomb. The one I found (Immediately after the bit where you jump on all the buildings) has a descending staircase followed by a jump over a lava pit ( as per the walkthroughs, except they insist a rope arrow is necessary to cross the pit), but then all I find are two rooms containing a torch and an empty sarcophagus. The walkthrough seems to indicate there will be a lot more stairs, a spike trap and a ladder into some water. Could somebody please help me?

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yes, it sounds like your playing the original game too.

There's a hole you have to drop down. It's in a corner, in the room with all the pillars in it. One room before the sarcagophus.

I don't remember exactly what you have to do after that. There's a pool of water, that you're looking for. Dive in.

And when you go to exit the "temple", be prepared...

13. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] The best walkthrough i found for thief was on www.canofworms.com
    It covers all objectives including expert difficulty.

14. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Ok, i'm a Thief II nut. You have managed to pluck a heart string for me with your mentions of Thief III. Please please PLEASE Gimme info. I want to play a new Thief game soooooo BAD.

Seriously, I didn't think much of the original, but I liked the whole concept, but their were too many unkillable's. Thief two, however, I can complete, and I think a third installment would rock the skies like a.....sky....rocking....thing. So any info, places or times would be GREATLY appreciated.

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Right now, Thief 3 is slated for Q4/2002.

Which means mid Q1/2003. Possibly even early Q2/2003, if they run into publisher issues.

Other than that, I know not. All the pictures in magazines and whatnot have Garrick as a 50+, grey haired man. Maybe it will be like Beyond Batman, or something, where he's tutoring another student.

I'm going to have to hunt around for Thief 2. I think I might be able to find time away from Jedi Knight 2 long enough for some rope arrows and a blackjak. :)

[edit:

I just deleted the game tonite. I ended up playing through the game completely.

I used Dromed to make the undeads killable (they just drop; no sound; using your sword or broadhead arrows), and I turned down Constantine's awareness on that very last puzzle with the eye. I actually just knocked him out with a gassarrow, and swapped out the eye, but I know some people want to have to fly through there.

I also made it so when you pickup a water "crystal", it gives you like 1000 arrows. Same deal with fire and moss. I cranked up the power of broadhead arrows, and made them so they fly straight and true, instead of arcing to the target. They also travel faster. No more judging distance, just lead your targets. A broadhead will take anything out, one shot.

The regular sword does twice it's original damage (which was right next to nothing), and Constantine's sword just butchers things where they stand, period. Fire arrows explode a little bigger, water arrows have a larger effect radius, gas arrows fill a HUGE space (gas mines too), and regular mines have a slight increase. I made some of the animals and people "dumber", so they move slower and aren't as "aware" as others.

You have to be careful, though. Everyone else's broadheads, swords (everyone else has a "regular" sword, not a "Constantine's"), and firearrows are cranked up too.
    There's some other tweaks I made too. It's been a while, so I don't remember every single thing. I think I tweaked for about an hour straight.

Bottom line: If the game was "unplayable" for you before, I just made it playable. If you'd like to hammer (<< pun) through it one time with the "cheats", lemme know.

All it takes is a simple file swap to implement all this stuff. The file "game.drk". Backup your original one, and put mine in it's place. If you don't like it, chuck it and use the original.

It only works with the ORIGINAL Thief game, patched to v1.33. It won't work with v1.14 (installed straight off the disk, no patch), or Thief Gold.

That's all. Well worth my time to finally play through the game. I'm looking forward to giving Thief 2 a beatdown as well.

]

[ October 25, 2002, 06:29: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Um...There's something which is puzzling me on level one, believe it or not. When you enter via the basement, you can see a small office through a thin arrow-slit like window. The office contains a chest, a desk with a book on it, a chair and a golden key on the wall. Trouble is, I have no idea how to get into that office. I assume there's some kind of secret staircase to it from one of the upper floors.

(Actually, I've found it now...turns out it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be)

[ October 26, 2002, 22:20: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

17. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thief II is awesome. Never played Thief one. The sound in Thief II does rock, though. I love when someone sees you and you duck out and they say something like "Hmm, thought I saw something...".

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    http://www.thieveryut.com/

site of a very, very interesting mod for Unreal Tournament. UT becomes multiplayer thief. It's got a crazy learning curve, but it's pretty damn fun.

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Ok, so I dug this thread up from out of the Pit of Dispair.

I've been playing through Thief2 and now, Thief1 without cheating. This is HIGHLY A. B. Normal for me.

Like where Egor grabs the ABBY NORMAL brain?

Just like that.

I played all the way through Thief2, without patching the game. And it's incredible. Granted, the skillz I aquired while cheating came in handy. I knew that water arrows are, by far and large, the most important arrows that you have in your entire inventory. And broadhead arrows serve as "instant distractors"; not working as long term as noisemakers, and therefore, not accidently pulling in a stray guard. The undead levels still suck, but they are workable once you really get to know the controls and the engine.

The Thief series is most excellent. I would rate them (hell, I guess both) on the level of Icewind Dale 1. That is like, two thumbs up; probably an errect penis, too.

I am really looking forward to the Thief3 game. From the way I understand it, it will have the atmosphere of the first Thief. That is, you are a rogue agent; cut off from everyone you knew, and the center of "fate". Thief1 shined, as far as the plot and story went.

Jedi Knight 2 is good, and all. But the Taffer series steps one notch ahead of it.

Hark, and beckon. Bring forth the Thief3, and make it known, if it be worthy of the Builder's attention!

20. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Here is a tip for those who play thief 1 and is having a problem whit the zombies in mission 2.

On the fourth level of the mines there is a pool of water and if you make the zombies in this level to follow you in to the pool they will die :evil:

[NOTE] This only works in the unpatched game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.