1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC or consoles?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kovalis Darkfire, May 1, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would say Pcs are better.Because of their known advantages,you can play with them,look DVDs,work,hear music and so on.While with a console you can't do that much.Also imo the Pc has better games than consoles.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Even though they're more expensive, I prefer PC's.

They're much more useful all around. From a strictly gaming standpoint, I think consoles are far too limited. No upgrades, no expansions, no mods, and a relatively limited selection. Plus, I find most, if not all console games to be terribly SHORT. Most can be beaten over a weekend.

With a PC, you can play nearly every game ever made (the good ones usually come out on PC as well, or come to PC first) with any number of official or unofficial upgrades and modifications to either the software or hardware. There are argueably more games to choose from currently with console games, but that doesn't mean all of them are any good. Most are for kids. There are a few games that are seriously fun to play for console (like Rogue Squadron 2, Super Monkey Ball, the Onimusha games are a few of my favorites), but there are more PC games I like just as much, if not more. I have a PS2 that's primary function at the moment is a DVD Player. :(

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    386DX50 or PS2? I choose PS2
    P4 512 or PS2? I'd prefer the P4

Like Sephirot said, PC's have more to offer then a gameconsole. That's the reason I would pick a PC.
    However, you don't have to look at the requirements of your console before you buy a game...

Also: If you bought a N64, what fun do you have now, when games are all out of stock? People should plan well when they buy a console. If you are too early, you pay too much. If you wait too long, then you're stuck with a console without games...

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If you travel, especially with children, then consoles. Definately.

Other than that, I'm a PC gamer. There's a depth that just doesn't make it to the console. Also, NTSC TV just isn't all that hot, resolution-wise.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Consoles are just too limited. The controller isn't as flexiable as the keyboard and mouse. The games lack depth, have way too many restrictions, and are static. The sooner you realize PC's are superior, the better.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The only thing that's good with consoles other than the simplicity of the device itself, are the japanese roleplaying games. In all other aspects, every console loses to PC.

-PC has more realistic planning for game levels.

-More mature game style (not just blood and profanity).

-Non-linearity of plot and events (compared to console anyway).

-Advanced gaming controls (I imagine it'll be some time before someone can beat keyboard + mouse combination).

-Mods.

-Multiplayer.

-Adjustable performance/graphics.

-Far more accurrate resolution

-(Insert something else)

8. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pc's win all the way, being more versatile, with far better gaming scope available. Consider having a console and missing out on BG, IWD, PST and several others. Foradasthar mentioned it best; you seriously miss out on mods, patches, etc

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

...And, after a time, all console games will be playable on it...

10. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Console all the way... Never have liked Pc games and never will.

" would say Pcs are better.Because of their known advantages,you can play with them,look DVDs,work,hear music and so on.While with a console you can't do that much.Also imo the Pc has better games than consoles."

You CAN play cd, DVDs etc on a console.

"hey're much more useful all around. From a strictly gaming standpoint, I think consoles are far too limited. No upgrades, no expansions, no mods, and a relatively limited selection. Plus, I find most, if not all console games to be terribly SHORT. Most can be beaten over a weekend.
    "
    Most short? LOL I’ve got 150 hours on FFX, 50 on MGS2, 30 On Shinobi, 100 on VF4, 30 on TTT 40 on Maximo and many more that I don’t feel the need to list.

"Consoles are just too limited. The controller isn't as flexiable as the keyboard and mouse. The games lack depth, have way too many restrictions, and are static. The sooner you realize PC's are superior, the better"

Limited? In what way? I can see mods but in what other way is a console limited? Lack Depth? Too many restrictions? VF4 having 100 moves per Fighter you call that lacking Depth? FFX having well over 100 Spells, weapons Moves per Char you call that Lacking depth? TTT having 30 moves per char you say that’s lacking depth?
    Pcs are superior in your opinion just as consoles are better in mine.

"-PC has more realistic planning for game levels."
    Examples?

"-More mature game style (not just blood and profanity)."

Seems you’re saying that every console game is GTA…

"-Multiplayer."

Many console games have offline multiplayer and a few have online more online games to come in the future.

"Pc's win all the way, being more versatile, with far better gaming scope available. Consider having a console and missing out on BG, IWD, PST and several others. Foradasthar mentioned it best; you seriously miss out on mods, patches, etc"

What if someone does like games like Bg,IWD,PST etc?

11. Ex-Paladine Banned

I chose PC no why

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well PC's are useful for other than games, naturally. However it can be a real pain when your PC's getting old and your stuck playing old games, because the new 'uns don't work. On consoles, as someone already said, you can just pick up the game and play. On PC's it won't always work, grr.

Multiplayer, consoles are pretty much always going to win. You can be in the same room as the people you're playing with. It's fun. Network, net-play etc is ok but lag can kill it pretty bad, and you need 2 decent computers (at least). With a console you just need another controller.

Old consoles are not bad consoles, MON mentioned n64 above, i still play my n64. The games that i regularly play on it are still as good now as they were when i got them. The multiplayer still rocks (Goldeneye, power weapons, archive, one-hit kills, 3 way. 12 hour sessions. The good days).

I don't have a next gen (current gen actually) console (x-box, ps2, GC) because i don't have the money at the moment. If i did i would most likely get a PS2, i dislike the x-box (on games, and on microsoft principle), and while i have played on the GC quite a lot (i don't like the tiny d-pad, it drives me crazy, and i generally end up shot when trying to change weapon and changing gadget instead, argh! - agent under fire btw) and i like it well enough (Rocky!).

Overall the PC is what i spend more time on (work and gaming) but when i just want to play a game quickly with no (ok low) chance of crashing/freezing i play consoles.

Oh and on a side note, the n64 still has the best game i have ever played on any platform, ever, period.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Defenitely PC's. Best example why is maybe Morrowind. If you play the game on the PC, you have an enormous amount of plugins and mods to choose from, to make the game even better.

You can forget about all that, if you play it on a console.

Another fact, console games are much more expensive.

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Exiled Tainted Love,
    OK, these games have many moves. But how can you(or anyone) press the keys of so many combinations? The simple keyboard has 104 keys and you have a mouse while PS (I don't know how this gadget is called in English) has only the arrows and 8 more keys. Thus, to make one move you must press over 3 keys. And the shape of (again this small gadget) is not convenient.

I must admit that one of my favorite games is Zelda: A link to the past (it's quite old-1992- but it doesn't matter) which is made for Super Nintendo. But here comes another advantage for computers: EMULATORS. :D

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] PCs :love:

Just the best IMO. They are loyal friends :lol:

I want Final Fantasy to be released for PC anyway :flaming:

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Frankly, i don't feel healthy playing console games. After all, console games are made from PC programs. Anyway, we have emulators to play console games (If this remark is illegal to make in this forum, please delete it). In addition, we can patch PC games, make mods out of it. Console games? Not in a million years.

17. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

:love: PC :love: is Better then Console Games.

For a few reasons:
    • The Mouse, Keyboard Beats the Controller anyday
    • You can Download Mods, patches, addons and and there is expansions
    • Online just blows away the console multiplayer (xbox live is ok, but Online PC games are far superior)
    • PC have boarder selection of Games, plus there is the pain of titles not being on your console.(Xbox has this game, but PS2 doesn't but PS2 has this and so forth)
    I could think of more and go on for some time. But I would choice PC over Console anyday. Hands down, not doubt about it. :grin:

18. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Not only mods, but anything made by a 3rd party (not the developers who created it). Console games are limited to 1st party support.(the developers who created it) This also puts a cap on the community since they can't really alter the game which most gaming communites tend to do with PC games. However I've seen them alter games through Emulation which is PC based. Another plus for the PC. Online play is another thing. Although consoles are starting to finally reach out into the sh!tstorm that is online gaming, it is still limited compared to PCs, whom have been in the mix for almost a decade. Furthermore the controls are limited. RTS games are horrible on the console. FPS controls also aren't as good as the standard WASD/Mouse config on the PC. Finally the console itself is limited hardware wise. There is a cap and it can't be upgraded like a PC. You have to buy the next gen system. If you ask me, the limitations are one too many.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Exiled Tainted Love

It is a bit silly of me to rebut someone's opinion, but since you typed "LOL" in response to something I said, I think I'll send a verbal spit-ball or two your way. I'll respond to a few of your posts, though I don't think I'll change your mind and don't want to - whatever floats your boat is up to you and you alone.

Most of the games you listed are fighting or sports games, and are meant to be replayed over and over because each "game" lasts only about a minute or two (one fight, one course, etc), and the point is to rack up points or something similar. This wasn't what I was referring to. I meant RPG's, survival games and 3D platform type games like Sonic, just as an example. Games based not on points, but on progression through levels and especially storylines are too short. I beat both Onimusha games, BG:Dark Alliance, Red Faction, FF8, any Resident Evil game and Zone of Enders in less than a weekend each.
    Again, you site a fighting game. Yes, graphically they have depth. And yes they have 100 moves per fighter, but so what...it's a fighting game. All the characters do is fight. The final fantasy games aren't really even RPG's because the stories are too linear and you have no real control over the direction, aesthetics, profession, temperment or alignment of your characters because they are all predetermined by the developers. They make these games easy enough for kids to play them, and it shows. They are fun, I'm not disputing that - but they will never be as advanced or ambitious as a PC game because they are bound by the limitations of the console's unchangeable hardware specs.
    I agree with you here. Though games like GTA are more popular they are (thankfully) few, because as I said earlier, most console games are meant for kids and are designed accordingly. There are a few more violent and adult-oriented games for PC. But not for much longer, it would seem thanks to the success of GTA and others.
    I think consoles do actually win here. Online play and even network play with a PC is only as fast as the slowest connection/CPU/Graphics Card of your fellow players. And even if your friends are all there, try huddling 4 people around one 17" monitor and keyboard. No fun, unless you like to snuggle up to your stinky friends...and I for one do not. At least on consoles, you can all flop on the couch and kill each other till your brains turn to jello like civilized people.
    I assume you meant 'doesn't' and misspelled. That's fine if you don't, because the PC still wins. Any 1st or 3rd person shooter will be far superior on a PC. Take Splinter Cell for example. Even the developers said the PC version was going to be so much better because the console was so limited in audio, graphic detail, motion and game length. Most decent console games that come to PC get better (like Splinter Cell), and nearly every PC game that goes to console gets watered down and ends up sucking (like Half Life). Strategy games win out here too, as do RPG's and explorations.

So basically it breaks down like this, generally speaking and not applying to every game and situation, but most:

If you like simpler games that can be figured out immediately and you don't mind playing the same level over and over just to get a high score or upgrade to the next snowboard or something, and you value multiplayer, get a console. Sports, fighting, 3D jump-and-grab-or-whack games - and most of all, simplicity are the order of the day here. It's cheaper to buy one, but you're stuck with only the games from that console. If you want more variety, you have to buy another system. But if variety is what you want, you can buy an XBox, a PS2, and a Gamecube for less than a PC combined, and probably have more games to choose from total than you would from a PC. You can rent of you don't want to buy, but that never lasts very long. But since they crank out games for consoles now like they're going out of style, the ratio of crap to cool in relation to game quality with console games is about 10 to 1.

But, if you prefer games that take weeks to play through, require critical thinking and problem solving on a grander scale, inclusive character development, the latest and greatest in graphics, sound, technology and gameplay, and a more envolving and intense gaming experience overall, get a PC. RPG's, strategy, shooters, exploration, customization and the state of the art are the cat's meow here. You'll pay more, but experience everything electronic gaming is capable of. Games are just as expensive as console, but you don't even need to buy - you can copy or borrow them from friends, and there are patches to download that can get you around this, and many these days don't require the CD to run.

That said, I'll probably buy a Gamecube now because they're so cheap. I love Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Squadron to death. :D

20. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey that's fine I don't think console games are "simple" like you say, as they require skill and timing. But let's just enjoy games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.