1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What can justify TK:ing in a game?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Foradasthar, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

We all probably agree, or at least claim we do, about how annoying and completely unforgivable teamkilling and other forms of TK-related griefing is in a game. Point of this thread is to discuss about the remote possibility that sometimes TK might be the only viable option. Or generally, why and when DO you actually accept TK:ing?

Numerous possibilities:
    - Someone bombs enemy base with heavy weapons, killing all own team members on offensive. Often, possibly. (depending on how many times I die, I will forgive him that mistake)
    - A very good, fast player knows that in a CtF (capture the flag) game, the enemy will cap any second if he doesn't stop it. He kills a teammate on an inventory station to get his stuff quickly and save the team. Or similar. (if the player knows what he's doing instead if failing and doing an idiot out of himlself, I accept)
    - Own team member continually accitendally kills you, you return the favor straight to their faces. (yet again depends on the amount and style of the accidents)
    - Own team is unable to do their jobs, rather playing fraghunter than working for the good of the team, you take justice in your own hands and dispose of the useless team members. (examples: snipers are generally useless for the team, other is the 10+ guys waiting for an airplane in BF1942) (I approve, only the idiots never really learn to play for once you leave it all starts over)
    - You killed the enemy, or you sneaked in to their base, or you waited that 20+ minutes for that vehicle / item, and someone of your own team threatens to come and take the rewards of your job. Which you conveniently stop with an accidental TK of course. (depends on in-game social rules and situation, usually I give them that and look for another on my own)
    - Enemy team uses unbelievably lame tactics and is about to win the game, you switch to their team and start TK:ing. (well it'd have to be some REAL lame thing to do for me to accept this)
    - You don't think team damage should be on, yet because it is you continually get killed by own incompetent people, or watch others get killed by more competent own TK people. As a result, you show your prowess in the game by TK:ing everyone quite succesfully up to the point an hour has passed or the admin comes along and kicks you. You do this sincerely only hoping for the better of all, by proving them that enabling teamdamage is not the right option. (I've done this myself, same with snipers.. only way to show that such an option ingame is wrong is to prove them why -> how great an effect it can have with the casual juvenile gamer audience)
    - Or the least favorite, you kill people of your own team because they get annoyed and you just love that. Or because you had a bad day. (I never accept this)

There were a few examples of situations where some TK:ing is usually administrated. I repeat the question in the beginning. And add your own views and ideas of course.

2. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I TK whenever the score is tied in a team DM or something, and you see your ally running away from the enemy with little health left, I finish the job, reducing the score of my team, but not letting the opponants get the winning point.

I hate campers, only certain levels are acceptable for camping (face3 from UT2003 for example, it has two huge towerd at each end) If my team is needlessly camping, I sometimes TK after warning them for sitting around when backup is needed up front. Unless of course he's the goalie in a boming run in UT2003 or something.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "TKing", but from what I can tell from the context, it more or less means stabbing your ally in the back. What I'm confused about this thread is whether you mean strategy games like Starcraft, or FPSs like Counter-Strike or whatever.

In either case, get over it. It's a game. Fine. So you lost. Unless it was a matter of huge pride (which no one should really have in computer-game-playing-skill), money, or life or death, there's not really a reason to be upset about.

Some guy moved all his Hydralisks into his base and starting killing your Carriers before you realized it. Ha-ha. It's funny. That's what I would think if I the player controlling the Hydralisks.

(I'm addressing strategy games and such, so the circumstances might be different for other games, which I usually don't play, RPGs not included.)

4. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Were talking about first-person-shooters, and trust me, if an ally on a team death match keeps shooting their own team mates, you'll soon want retribution, vengance and any other angry term which is applicable.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] Revenge is the only time for TKing. If your playing caprture the flag and you're running for for home with the enemies flag, and some little git from your own team shoots you in the back just for the glory, your obviously entitled to pound the beggar until the keyboard smokes!!!

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I agree; having some kid blowing up your base/team and stealing stuff can make anyone see red.

TKing is acceptable when:
    (1)(C-S) Half of your team is using that low, *low* method of gaining frags: shooting with an AWP, or using it as a shotgun. It´s a one-scratch-one-kill sniper. Especially annoying if you have some lag and there is a tinyest crack in the wall... :mad: :mad:
    (2) You see a TK happen, no doubt; a clear TK. You happen to be behind the TKers back... Heh-heh-heh... :evil:
    (3)(NS) Comm drops a packet of mines/armor/HMG/whatever and types: this is for player XXX. Ok, you see that a player YYY decides to try to pick them up, or picks them up (probably some kid). It would be OK to me to kill ´im and pick the equipment up from his corpse -if it were possible.

[ February 26, 2003, 15:38: Message edited by: Virne ]

7. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Having fun while doing it!

(ok this doesn't apply to internet games where you play with unknown people or you know them only from the game, but i remember when i was on some LAN parties, we had lots of fun, killing each other in rainbow six (not deathmatch) because it was boring to kill only terrorists)

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm against TKing full stop. What I'm not against is admin kicking (providing they have a good reason too eg. TKing)

Anyway in terms of AWPs. I'm all for AWP's if it means that it gets me killed. That would eve mean if i would have to take up the crude term of camping. If someone uses it on me all the time, fair enough. Yeah sure i may get alittle annoyed but hey! there is always at least 2 ways to get around the map. And i constantly devise new strategies to tackle the AWP problem.

9. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In americas army when you TK it lowers your honor which get written to your profile.

When your honor get's too low, you won't be accepted to certain servers.

Think it's a good system, that makes sure the inexperienced players play together and the pros play together

10. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Teamkilling is only ok if you kill someone who have killed someone from his own team.
    By the way, there is a difference between Camping(sitting behidn a crate for 20 minutes) and sniping(finding i nice spot and picking off the enemies)

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I prefer to call it a matter of strategical placing :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.