1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Blizzard? Why?!

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Sapiryl, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Okay, I wanna know the name of the jack ass who designed the new Blizzard game!

I heard the news, "Blizzard just announced a new game and it's a Starcraft game!" I flipped out and ran screaming to my roommate's machine.

What do you know! A Starcraft game! A new one! Holy crap!

But wait - it's a first...person...shooter? And, you can only play a Terran Ghost? Who no one has ever heard of? AND IT'S ONLY BEING RELEASED ON GAMECUBE AND X-BOX??? What the hell is Blizzard thinking?! I am going to curl up and die now. After years of waiting for the sequal to one of the single greatest games ever created...we get this piece of crap.

2. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Blizzard is playing with fire now. They are trying to be innovative, ever-creative, but they are really venturing into unknown regions with WoWC and SC:Ghost.

However can't blame them making game for consoles, they do have their roots in consoles...

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't think so, ejsmith. Blizzard's first games were NES games, so the whole console thing is nothing new to them. And good console games usually sell a lot more copies than PC games, but I am very disappointed with them to. I want my new RTS StarCraft game!

4. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

heh, it's something new, but I'd wish they'd start develoing ANYTHING that doesn't have diablo or craft in it's name.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Mollusken: I'm not sure. Am I supposed to be offended? :)

Sap: Don't knock it 'till ya try it. I really didn't care for Starcraft, myself. I don't see what all the hub-bub was about. So, maybe this game will be better... ;)

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

ej - the reason I'm knocking it is 'cause I don't have a Game Cube or X-Box, and I'm certainly not going to go out and buy one just for the sake of playing a FPS Starcraft. :p

Ah well, anyone know if they have an X-Box emulator for the PC? The X-Box CDs are standard size, so someone must have some software that lets you play them on PC.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

There was a console I bought, strictly because of one game. I can't remember if it was Shadows of the Empire, or Turok, though.

Yes, there's an Xbox emu out. There's a dreamcast emu, and a PSX2 emu. There's probably a Gamecube one too, but I've never seen/read about it. I've never used any of them, so I don't know how well they run or what you need to run them.

8. alighter Gems: 4/31

AFAIK, there are no working emulators for xbox, dreamcast or ps2 yet. However there is a tool which can practically turn your xbox into a computer (run utilities like DivX player, and copy games to HDD and run directly from HDD, etc. etc.)

9. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Of course, every Blizzard fan dreams of something like 'Diablocraft III'. Unfortunately, it's all about the money...Well, better wait longer for a great game (like the previous ones) than playing Starcraft XXVI next autumn...

10. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm still waiting for StarCraft II...

11. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Look at it this way--if Starcraft: FPS sucks, Blizzard is more likely to cancel it than release a crappy game to the public, like they did with Warcraft Adventures. Personally, I think an FPS set in the Starcraft universe will freakin' rule.

Still waiting for a true Blizzard RPG, though...

12. alighter Gems: 4/31

But Blizzard haven't really done any RPG yet, I don't expect them to be able to make better RPGs than, say, BIS and Bioware. Just like they weren't able to make a better adventure game than LucasArts...

13. Soul here. Something none of you mentioned, which I picked up on the second I heard about it, was this: Westwood recently created a game.

Command & Conquer: Renegade.

In Renegade, you can only play a GDI commando who no one has ever heard of.

Blizzard's new game:

Starcraft: Ghost (don't blame me if name's wrong)

In Ghost, you can only play a Terran Ghost who
    no one has ever heard of.

Both first person shooter games, both based on real time strategy games. I haven't played Renegade yet, but from what I hear, it's not too bad. Maybe this won't suck either. Besides, it's BLIZZARD we're talking about. They delayed Diablo II for years to make it perfect. They have only failed to deliver on one game, and that was that weird Warcraft Adventure game.

[ October 04, 2002, 01:39: Message edited by: The Soul Forever Seeking ]

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How the hell can you say that you have never heard of a GDI commando and a Terran Ghost

HEEEEEEEEEELLLO!! they´re were the most cool units of C&C and Starcraft

The commando walked in a building blew it up and was almost undefeatable in the stealthlevels (Only those darn tanks gave trouble).
    And the Terran Ghost could cloak and throw Nukies at enemy bases.

Heh (getting sentimental)
    Blizzard!! get of your lazy arsses and give me StarcraftII goddammit!!

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Soul isn't saying that he never heard of commandos and ghosts before, he's saying that he never heard of the specific people from the games: Nova the ghost or (whatshisname) from Renegade.

I'd still rather see a Starcraft 2 strategy game over some FPS game.

16. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

And in Renegade you can build tanks and stuff and drive them if you don't want to walk around by yourself.

17. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    NOOOOOOOOO! (shoots himself in the head) GAAAH, THIS IS BAAAAAAD....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.