1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Card players

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blog, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Any card sharks here? And what's your favorite card game?

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

You refering to computer card games or an actual deck of cards or both?
    I have this game called "Ultimate Solitare" There are a ton of addictive games on there. One game I can play for hours is Spider Solitare. This also came with my Windows ME. There is another game called "Pyramid" I've also seen it called Tut's Tomb. Funny how you can spend just as much time on a simple card game as you can on a more involved game.

3. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Poker [5-hand draw]
    Egyptian Rat Screw
    B.S.
    Chinese Poker

[ October 11, 2002, 06:34: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

4. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] MahJong is a good one, though not strictly a card game.

5. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you mean collectable card games (CCGs), my favourite is Middle-Earth The Wizards :)

[ October 11, 2002, 15:51: Message edited by: Harkle ]

6. Blog Gems: 23/31

I had the standard 52 card deck in mind when I posted this (ok, for canasta fans, maybe double).

Both actual or online playing is alright. In fact I think I play more online now that me and my highschool card buddies don't meet up everyday anymore.

I play spades, hearts, bridge, and Big 2 mostly. And mahjong is great too, but its much better in person than online because it's so slow.

7. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I play 500, Gin, and King's Corner's mostly. Also a game called "Oh Sh*t", which is best with 4 or more people.

I also know how to play spades, but don't like it too much (I always lose!).

8. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Go Fish!

9. Blog Gems: 23/31

what's 500? Never heard of it before.

10. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

500:
    You start with a seven card hand, and you try to match 3 cards, either in suits (ex: 4, 5, 6 of spades), or trips (3 Aces). When you get a match of 3, you place it face up on the table. Other people can play one or more cards from your matches (If I put down a J, Q, K of clubs and you pick up the Ace of Clubs in a later turn, you can put it down "on mine", but keep it in your matched piles, don't add it to mine)

You must "pick up" when it is your turn. You can pick either 1 card from the deck, which is face down, or as many as you like from the discard pile, which is face up, and arranged so you can see all of them at once.

IF you pick up from the discard pile, you MUST play the bottom (earliest) card picked up. For example, if the discards were (earliest to most recent) 2C, 8S, AD, 10S, and I picked up the 10S to 8S, I must use the 8S in a match right then and there. I don't have to use the others right away though.

You must discard 1 card every turn.

The game ends when 1) the deck is gone (rare), or 2) one person gets rid of all the cards in thier hand.

At the end of the game, any cards in your match pile are counted to your score, and any cards in your hand are subtracted from your score.
    2-10 are worth 5 points, J, Q, K are worth 10, and an ace is 20.

When the game ends, both players scores are kept, and another game begins. The first person to reach 500 points wins (or the highest score, if both reach 500).

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I love spider and hearts. There was one thing amusing about my playing the heart game, I've been playing it the wrong way for a month before I realized my mistake. (I was pilling up points instead of avoiding it. :grin: )

12. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Nutrimat,
    Some people refer to it as Rummy 500 I believe. Anyway, I play pretty much any card game. Euchre, Pinochle, Cribbage, Hearts, Spades, Poker. The game I'd like to learn is Bridge, but I tried way back in High school and it was complicated. I'll probably try again at some point.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31

Yup, bridge is much harder to learn that other team trick taking games. I think I mastered spades in about 5 months, but I started learning bridge last year and I STILL consider myself a beginner.

Notice all those bridge strategy books in Chapters? I haven't seen so many written for any other game!

Cribbage - I ALWAYS lose :( And it's not the same 'losing by luck' as in solitaire games, which pisses me off more. I just don't get the point system so I can't plan strategy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.