1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sam & Max hit the road

Discussion in 'Playground' started by idoru, Sep 1, 2002.

1. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I got my hands on this classic game... I haven't played it before. So far it works just fine, especially considering that I'm using XP... but I'm stuck, not in the walkthrough way, because I already have one of those. If you one day plan on playing sam & max and don't want this spoiled, stop reading now.

I'm at the part where you're supposed to find the mountain, using the binoculars. I've put on the magnifying glass and all that, the problem is that I can't quite seem to control the movement of the thing. I just keeps turning left, and, after reading a few walkthroughs I found that apparently clicking the right mouse button is supposed to make it rotate clockwise instead... but that doesn't happen. In fact click ANYTHING except esc or both mouse buttons at once has no effect.

So, I know what I should do, but I don't know how. Is there some sort of twist to this? I've tried clicking all over the screen, nothing happens..

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It sounds like a joystick, or a runtime issue.

It's probably just a runtime issue, 'cause I get those when I try to play mechwarrior 1. There's slowdown programs for windows and for dosboxes that will probably cure your problem.

3. idoru Gems: 11/31

Yeah.. the funny thing is that there are no speed issues anywhere else in this game. Everything is running at just the right speed. And I think even this screen is rotating about as fast as it should... it's very strange.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Try some keyboard buttons to have it move in the direction you want... Bleh, it's been so long I don't remember the details any more. :rolleyes:

[ September 01, 2002, 11:15: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, no, no. You're supposed to take those blue wires at the base of the binoculars and use them on the binoculars. That way the thing will stop spinning around, letting you control it. And remember you need a magnifying lens for it.

"Random acts of senseless violence are my forte!"
    "Can I make a tennis racket out of him?"
    "Is this the part where I get to kick some puffy white man scientist butt?"

*sigh* That old game probably won't run on this computer, I still have that old cd version where everyone talks.

6. idoru Gems: 11/31

I've done that volar.. that's why I'm puzzled, sam says something to the effect of "now I'll be able to control the rotation of this thing", but nothing changes, it's still impossible to control.

Tal, I noticed that you can control the cursor with the arrows, but hitting any other buttons on the keyboard seems to have no effect.

This is so incredibly annoying! I feel like I'm just getting somewhere in this game, I really don't want this to fall through on some stupid technicality!

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I remember this same thing when I played, there's some trick to it that I can't remember any more though.

Check the official Sam & Max forums at Lucas Arts, I bet you'll find an answer there.

8. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Have you tried to click lever in binoculars screen? And have you connected wires to binoculars?

9. idoru Gems: 11/31

SOLVED IT!

Thanks for the idea Tal, it doesn't seem like there is such a thing as an official lucasart forum (They have a very confusing website), but I found another forum, and someone could help... apparently I was meant to right click on the little lever under the binoculars, to move it to the right.. while left clicking moves it to the left. I feel stupid now. :)

10. Taluntain

Media:
  11. idoru Gems: 11/31

Yeah, that's the forum I visited..

Thanks for the sound link! I didn't need it for sam&max (finished it yesterday), but that means that I can finally play Day of the Tentacle with some kind of meaning.. all the dialogue was messed up before, which took all the fun out of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.