1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Xaelifer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I have been living in a cave in Central Park lately. I think I may be going mad, as in looney, crazy, insane, or nuts, but I have found a game that is worth discussing.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3, man! Cooool!

This game is so fun that I spend every hour of my life (besides all those other hours) making and breaking my own unique levels for it.

Say, does anyone else out there make scenarios?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A friend of mine and I made a very detailed XL map for Heroes 2 once. After many, many hours with the map editor, it turned out the map wasn't playable becaues it was too unballanced :rolleyes:. After that he made another XL map which was too big and detailed for his Pentium I 110MHz to handle :D.

3. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The heroic deeds should have ended right now, why Heroes of Might and Magic 4 is coming out!:mad:

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have played quite alot of HoMM 3 in my days. I think the campaigns suck big time but it is really fun to play on random maps or making your own maps. I once made a XL map to play, but as many of you have said it is very hard to make a balanced map.
    When will part 4 come out? It might be interesting.

5. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

A begging tear leaps from my eye as I ask...do you...(sniff) want to...play my maps?

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Just mail your maps over (just not any small ones, never play them). But I have only Heroes 3, not Armageddons Blade or Shadow of Death.

7. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If I remember correctly, HoMM IV is scheduled for March 20. I think I saw that in PC Gamer, which is why I am excited about it. There was no mention of the game being delayed, so hopefully all goes as planned.

And for HoMM III, I thought the Dragon Slayer campaign was pretty good. The Fire Witch was pretty much disappointing. I did not bother with the other ones, the random maps were just to good to mess with the campaigns.

8. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Heroes 3 was very good but, for me, it didn't have such charm as Heroes 2. Heroes 2 had something really special...
    You can also make the maps, if you have the expansion or the Gold edition. I think I made 2 maps for Heroes 2 and 4 for Heroes 3...
    Waiting for Heroes 4 now...

9. total Guest

Uaaa, what a dissapointment with HoM&M IV, i prefer III much more, Elendil, you said that III didn't have that something, well, maybe, but for me that is the best in the series!

I didnt play it very long (few hours :) ) but so far it seems so old looking, battles specially. The resolution is 1280*1024 or something but it is the same heroes as before, just more collorful!
    The biggest improvement is in battles, they remind me on those in old Masters of Magic from Microprose.

SPOILER? Maybe you know it allready even if you didn't play the game.

(as you can control leaders and put more of them in the army and you dont lose if he dies (i think) and in the towns, you can't build all buildings, you must choose between 2 types of 4th 5th & 6th level creatures wich grow every day (not only on Monday) and so on and you can put guards on mines)

Overall, it is nice game that will be played, i didn't expect much (what can you from a game that didnt drasticly changed from the firs part), but i think that the biggest step is from Heroes I to II (in everything)!

10. Elendil Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] With Heroes 2 I was refering to the charm the whole game had because of the way it was made. It had standard 2d graphics which really made a great atmosphere. Much warmer and more natural that the graphics in Heroes 3.
    Difficult to explain, but I find it that some older games with older 2d graphics have a better "feel" and more atmosphere to them. Insisting on "modernizing" the graphics can sometimes take away from the game...That was the special thing about Heroes 2. Although Heroes 3 is great, IMHO Heroes 2 still remains the highpoint...

We shall now see what happens with Heroes 4. I'm getting it soon...And I think you were dissapointed in it because of the changes it had towards Heroes 3. I had the same feeling after I played Heroes 3 for the first time. But I soon found out it had it's qualities...:)

11. Relic Gems: 7/31

I tried to purchase the game on Saturday, but by the time I got to the store, they were all sold out. I'll try again the next couple of days. I've been waiting for both this and M&M 9.

12. Turandil Gems: 7/31

Have made a several very detailed maps, alla got high frade on mapheaven. *proud*
    Gonna get H4 on friday, when I get new computer.

13. nior Gems: 24/31

a question about HoMM4. is the battle still determined by the quantity (assuming units of player and computer are of the same level) of your units rather than strategy? i love HoMM3 very much except for the quantity issue.

14. total Guest

Well, yes, but you can easy find their advantages (right click) and special abilities wich make them unique. And they have much more special abilities. But yes it still depends on quantities.

As i said before, i think the game was finished in a hurry so they didnt have time to experiment with many creatures and not to make some too strong or to weak (but as always some are) so giving too strong special ability would unbalance the game!

Hey after all the quantity is not important, you can still win with one dragon a hundred peasants :D

PS I think that black dragons suck in HoM&M 4 (you cant heal them, and they cost a LOT!)

15. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

HoMM3 is a great game, I spent hours playing that game. :)

But yet, HoMM4 is out now, but I have not played it yet. My bro borrowed it from a friend and he likes it though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.