1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best series ever: Civ

Discussion in 'Playground' started by joacqin, Mar 3, 2002.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have had a similar post awhile ago in the whatnots forum but I will go at it again.
    How many here have played this excellent series since the first one? Favourite one? Best tactics? In Civ 3 which are your favourite civ?

I started playing Civ1 back in -92 and it took me 3 years to learn the rules. But after awhile I kicked ass.
    I like nr 2 the best. It seems like the most balanced and the one I have played the most.
    The third one is also good but I cant seem to play it as much as I have played civ2.

Lets hear what you people have to say!

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have some vague memories of playing the Amiga version of the game, but I never played that a lot. I have both Civ 2 and 3 here, but I've only played number two (and very little). Guess I'm afraid that I'll be totally addicted again. I played nothing but Colonization (pretty much the same as Civ, isn't it?) for months in a row a few years ago. No time for such addiction now :(.

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You're telling me! Call to Power just ate my weekend. On a related note, do Civ games tend to give advances earlier than they should appear or is it just that I'm playing on too easy difficulty levels? In my current game, it's 1950 and my army's full of mechs, hover infantry and stealth bombers. It could be my playing style as well. Typically I neglect the military and focus largely on civil developments and advancing up the tech tree. Works fine until another empire decides it doesn't want my bribes.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited March 04, 2002).]

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes Colonization is almost the same as Civ, not as good though but Sid had a hand in it.

Ironbeard the better you are the earlier you get the tech to build advanced stuff. On my most recent Civ3 game I played at regent and had all techs in the late 1800´s. But on my first Civ3 game it took ages before I even got regular tanks. Its all about skill :)

5. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I just recently got Civ 3, and it was my introduction to the Civ games. I'm so addicted. I spent all day, one Sunday playing from 9:30 in the morning through till 2 a.m. I stopped to shower about 10 p.m. and took all my meals in front of the screen. It's pretty dangerous to my productivity level, but I still love it.

6. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm a new Civ gamer, about two month ago I got Civ3, now I'm playing at monarchy level:heh:. It's not too hard to master it I say, just visit www.civfanatics.com when you're in a trouble.

Imho, the best civ is Japan(militaristic and religious), the samuri is awesome and produced in a exact expanding time, and good in both offence and defence...:)

7. void Guest

I've played the whole series for a long time and civ2 definately gets a spot in my fave' 5 games of all time. I havn't really had a chance to play civ3 enough to really get into it though I've little doubt that it's only a matter of time before it replaces civ2 on the top 5 games list... My faveourite races are the babylonians (civ2) and the indians (civ3).
    My thoughts on the call to power series are that it seriously didn't live up to the honourary rank of "a civ game", it was all too complicated and all... I though fantastic worlds was excellent, definately a great addition to civ2. I also quite enjoyed test of time though I disliked it's graphics and having four worlds unbalanced the game (sometimes causing it to be too hard and sometimes too easy... ) and of course keeping track of your cicilation on four different planets is deadly confusing :hmm: and caused the game to take too long :sleep: . I've yet to play any multiplayer civ (is it any good?) and I don't really plan to (I can imagine some idiot who, just when they were losing, eiher wouldn't let their turn end, or lust quit). Last of all, I have some thpoughts on alpha centauri... I though it was a very good turn on the civ idea. It had an added sense of roleplaying he way you get such a fleshed out civ, it also had a sort of compelling storyline, with the whole trancendance thingy... OK that is easily the longest post I've ever made (phew...) so I think I'll end my rant now... I hope this was of use to you all (those few who managed to sit through the whole thing, :book: ---------> :sleep: ). Oops there I go ranting on again...

Cheers, Void

8. joacqin

Media:
    Civfanatics is a awesome civ site. Too bad their boards are so poorly moderated, they have drowned in new users since Civ 3 got released. Before Civ 3 the boards were decent, now they are swarmed with spammers. That seems to be the fate of all boards these days :(

I dont think that militaristic is such a good ability for a civ. Have you tried the french Laksol? Commercial and Indoustrious are the best abilities imho. Too bad their special unit suck big time. The greeks and persians are also great civs, good and early special units too.

9. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] oh god... how civI ate away at my GCSE exam revision time! have been avoiding playing the series ever since. is it worth me messing-up my finals to try out 2 and 3?

10. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Oh definitely. I especially like civ2 but the others aren't bad either. Buy just one, though, they are nearly the same. Or you don't have to buy at all just borrow it off some friend of yours (or something).

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Great games. I have gotten each one when it came out and have lost countless hours of my life.

12. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I like Civilization Two:Gold Edition the most. The largest fact being that on the senarios you can get all sorts of diffrent units and skills.

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited March 29, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.